What is in the Queen's Handbag?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've always wondered what she carries in her bag.
I find it very funny that there are pics of her in her own palace, greeting people, and she is carrying her purse????!!!! Which has made me wonder what she carries in there for her to carry it in her own "house".
Once I get home, I dump my purse on the closest corner and don't even glance at it until the next morning as I'm walking out for work.

For his 2002-Golden Jubilee book of photographs of HM, Tim Graham revealed his own observations about her handbag items. He pointed out that HM always has in there some basic makeup items (compact, lipstick) and a spare pair of gloves. Oh and her reading glasses, of course.
He mentioned other things, but I can't remember. It was a library book.

... I find it very funny that there are pics of her in her own palace, greeting people, and she is carrying her purse????!!!!.

i've wondered that too now that you mention it. i know she has police protection at all times but it makes you wonder if she carries anything in her purse for protection as well.

i've wondered that too now that you mention it. i know she has police protection at all times but it makes you wonder if she carries anything in her purse for protection as well.

:ROFLMAO: HM blinds Ambassador Whatsit with pepperspray! :eek:

Whenever she's undertaking engagements in one of her residences, she may also be somewhat far away from her apartments. It's probably quite a walk through Windsor Castle and Buckingham Palace.

Whenever she's undertaking engagements in one of her residences, she may also be somewhat far away from her apartments. It's probably quite a walk through Windsor Castle and Buckingham Palace.
Be that as it may, you would think she would put her purse down on the side of a couch, under her desk, hand it to her LIW or something. But to carry it in her own "house" just seems strange to me. I mean, she actually carries it on her arm. At least to me it's strange.

I like the image of the Queen with the meat hook in her purse! (They said she carries it so she can hang the purse off the table and not place it on the floor -- but later on they said she has a secret code with staff, if the purse is on the floor it means "Lady-in-waiting, rescue me from this person!" Maybe the code works when she's not sitting at a dining table?).

Not to mention she'd cause a bit of a flutter in the everyday functioning were she to be seen rushing back and forth. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, though. That article was adorable. Until now, I'd never really thought about what the Queen has in her handbag. I don't carry a purse, so I don't give much thought to them.

I keep photos of my kids in my purse. I'm sure I would keep a photo of my son when he comes back safe from Afghanistan like HM as well!
Boy, what luxury not to keep your passport in your purse! I am always afraid of the stupid thing being stolen and somebody copping my ID!!

I keep photos of my kids in my purse. I'm sure I would keep a photo of my son when he comes back safe from Afghanistan like HM as well!
Boy, what luxury not to keep your passport in your purse! I am always afraid of the stupid thing being stolen and somebody copping my ID!!

As the Queen doesn't have a passport, she doesn't ever have that worry, of course!!

I know the Queen carries lipstick and eye glasses, but I didn't know the other stuff.

As the Queen doesn't have a passport, she doesn't ever have that worry, of course!!
That's interesting that she doesn't carry a passport. What happens if HM is at a party where they are all impersonating HM? :D

I once toured a small factory in England which made luxury fabric out of horsehair. This small factory took great pride that they had made the fabric for purses for Her Majesty The Queen and for a couple of members of the Japanese Royal Family....I don't think they are listed on the web because they are so small but I will keep a look out for a link to this small factory/workshop.

That would be cool Pinkie! I'd plop some cash down for one of their works!

I actually got to touch a sample square of some of the blue fabric that had been made especially for Her Majesty The Queen's purse.... They had a photograph of The Queen carrying the purse that was eventually made by the designer who constructed it for her!

Absolutely exquisite...one would have to be royalty to afford even a small amount of this material as every inch had to pass several inspections and go thru multiple processes from horsetail to handbag!

Last edited:
Is there a story about the compact Majesty carries in her purse???

I am sure it is solid gold and was a gift....maybe from her husband??

I can't remember if I read somewhere the powder is Elizabeth Arden or now Estee' Lauder (since the Lauder's are friends of members of the Royal Family).

That's interesting that she doesn't carry a passport. What happens if HM is at a party where they are all impersonating HM? :D
A British passport is issued in Her Majesty's name to a Briton,so HM does not need to carry a passport which is issued in her name.

I remember reading once that she keeps some kind of hard candy - barley sugar or something - to help prevent her mouth from getting too dry . I imagine these days it would be something sugarless.

What a great article. And that s-shaped metal meat hook. on which to hang her purse while she is seated at a table, is a great idea. I wouldn't mind having one of those.:)

What a great article. And that s-shaped metal meat hook. on which to hang her purse while she is seated at a table, is a great idea. I wouldn't mind having one of those.:)
My dear Lexi, YOU are a kid in a candy store! :flowers:
I'm glad you're having fun and indeed! It is an interesting article!!

I've always wondered what she carries in her bag.
I find it very funny that there are pics of her in her own palace, greeting people, and she is carrying her purse????!!!! Which has made me wonder what she carries in there for her to carry it in her own "house".
Once I get home, I dump my purse on the closest corner and don't even glance at it until the next morning as I'm walking out for work.
But we are not talking about a normal sized house! :lol: The servants would be exhausted if they had to run down all those corridors just to get her specs! :ROFLMAO:

But we are not talking about a normal sized house! :lol: The servants would be exhausted if they had to run down all those corridors just to get her specs! :ROFLMAO:
Watching the Andrew interview yesterday walking through Buckingham Palace, I was reminded just how BIG the place is! Talk about finding spec needles in haystacks!

My dear Lexi, YOU are a kid in a candy store! :flowers:
I'm glad you're having fun and indeed! It is an interesting article!!

I get tired of my purse getting stomped on under a table. :D I think that is a cool idea. I wonder if hers has diamonds on it. I mean, is it bling for the queen?:ROFLMAO:

They probably have walkies and page someone from one side of the house and they meet someone half way.

Which hand?

I recently read an article that said that when she has her handbag on one arm things are well, when the other she is bored and needs rescuing by her LIW. Unfortunately I have returned the book to the library and cannot recall which arm means which. Sorry for those of you who are to meet the queen soon. Just look out for her purse changing arms :lol:.

I recently read an article that said that when she has her handbag on one arm things are well, when the other she is bored and needs rescuing by her LIW. Unfortunately I have returned the book to the library and cannot recall which arm means which. Sorry for those of you who are to meet the queen soon. Just look out for her purse changing arms :lol:.

HM Almost invariably carries her bag on her left arm - for one thing that leaves her right free for hand-shaking. So watch out if it is on her right arm!

Its a lovely little book and has lots of other snippets of information.

I got my copy from Amazon and I can recommend it to anyone interested in royalty trivia.

Back
Top Bottom