Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-10-2007, 06:39 PM
Royal Highness

What is in the Queen's Handbag?

i thought this was a cute article from Hello magazine:

Secrets of the Queen's handbag revealed in new book

Old 10-10-2007, 07:21 PM
Courtier

I've always wondered what she carries in her bag.
I find it very funny that there are pics of her in her own palace, greeting people, and she is carrying her purse????!!!! Which has made me wonder what she carries in there for her to carry it in her own "house".
Once I get home, I dump my purse on the closest corner and don't even glance at it until the next morning as I'm walking out for work.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:44 PM

For his 2002-Golden Jubilee book of photographs of HM, Tim Graham revealed his own observations about her handbag items. He pointed out that HM always has in there some basic makeup items (compact, lipstick) and a spare pair of gloves. Oh and her reading glasses, of course.
He mentioned other things, but I can't remember. It was a library book.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:26 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesa View Post
... I find it very funny that there are pics of her in her own palace, greeting people, and she is carrying her purse????!!!!.
i've wondered that too now that you mention it. i know she has police protection at all times but it makes you wonder if she carries anything in her purse for protection as well.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
i've wondered that too now that you mention it. i know she has police protection at all times but it makes you wonder if she carries anything in her purse for protection as well.
HM blinds Ambassador Whatsit with pepperspray!
Old 10-11-2007, 12:11 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Whenever she's undertaking engagements in one of her residences, she may also be somewhat far away from her apartments. It's probably quite a walk through Windsor Castle and Buckingham Palace.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Whenever she's undertaking engagements in one of her residences, she may also be somewhat far away from her apartments. It's probably quite a walk through Windsor Castle and Buckingham Palace.
Be that as it may, you would think she would put her purse down on the side of a couch, under her desk, hand it to her LIW or something. But to carry it in her own "house" just seems strange to me. I mean, she actually carries it on her arm. At least to me it's strange.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:25 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I like the image of the Queen with the meat hook in her purse! (They said she carries it so she can hang the purse off the table and not place it on the floor -- but later on they said she has a secret code with staff, if the purse is on the floor it means "Lady-in-waiting, rescue me from this person!" Maybe the code works when she's not sitting at a dining table?).
Old 10-17-2007, 06:43 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Not to mention she'd cause a bit of a flutter in the everyday functioning were she to be seen rushing back and forth.

Seriously, though. That article was adorable. Until now, I'd never really thought about what the Queen has in her handbag. I don't carry a purse, so I don't give much thought to them.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:25 PM
Heir Apparent

I keep photos of my kids in my purse. I'm sure I would keep a photo of my son when he comes back safe from Afghanistan like HM as well!
Boy, what luxury not to keep your passport in your purse! I am always afraid of the stupid thing being stolen and somebody copping my ID!!
Old 10-19-2007, 01:57 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
I keep photos of my kids in my purse. I'm sure I would keep a photo of my son when he comes back safe from Afghanistan like HM as well!
Boy, what luxury not to keep your passport in your purse! I am always afraid of the stupid thing being stolen and somebody copping my ID!!
As the Queen doesn't have a passport, she doesn't ever have that worry, of course!!
Old 10-20-2007, 09:53 PM
Nobility

I know the Queen carries lipstick and eye glasses, but I didn't know the other stuff.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillW View Post
As the Queen doesn't have a passport, she doesn't ever have that worry, of course!!
That's interesting that she doesn't carry a passport. What happens if HM is at a party where they are all impersonating HM?
Old 10-28-2007, 03:36 PM
Nobility

I once toured a small factory in England which made luxury fabric out of horsehair. This small factory took great pride that they had made the fabric for purses for Her Majesty The Queen and for a couple of members of the Japanese Royal Family....I don't think they are listed on the web because they are so small but I will keep a look out for a link to this small factory/workshop.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:48 PM
Heir Apparent

That would be cool Pinkie! I'd plop some cash down for one of their works!
Old 10-31-2007, 12:22 AM
Nobility

I actually got to touch a sample square of some of the blue fabric that had been made especially for Her Majesty The Queen's purse.... They had a photograph of The Queen carrying the purse that was eventually made by the designer who constructed it for her!

Absolutely exquisite...one would have to be royalty to afford even a small amount of this material as every inch had to pass several inspections and go thru multiple processes from horsetail to handbag!
Old 10-31-2007, 12:30 AM
Nobility

Is there a story about the compact Majesty carries in her purse???

I am sure it is solid gold and was a gift....maybe from her husband??

I can't remember if I read somewhere the powder is Elizabeth Arden or now Estee' Lauder (since the Lauder's are friends of members of the Royal Family).
Old 11-14-2007, 11:23 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
That's interesting that she doesn't carry a passport. What happens if HM is at a party where they are all impersonating HM?
A British passport is issued in Her Majesty's name to a Briton,so HM does not need to carry a passport which is issued in her name.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:53 PM
Aristocracy

I remember reading once that she keeps some kind of hard candy - barley sugar or something - to help prevent her mouth from getting too dry . I imagine these days it would be something sugarless.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Hopefully nothing blueberry.. That would funny, her with a blue mouth.

Tags
book, elizabeth ii, handbag, queen elizabeth ii