The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Gentry

Would someone explain me why she has to carry her purse to a garden party at Buckingham Palace? I saw a picture of her recently and I wondered myself why does she bring it while she's at home?

Old 07-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Majesty

Tradition.

She doesn't feel 'dressed' without it and as a Garden Party, albeit one in her own backyard, is a public engagement for her she feels it is what people expect of her so she doesn't want to disappoint.

I relate her to my mother, who was the same generation, and Mum would never leave the house, even to pop next door to borrow something without her purse. She said 'It isn't right' as if that was a satisfactory explanation.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:47 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
i thought this was a cute article from Hello magazine:

Secrets of the Queen's handbag revealed in new book
That is a very cute article.

I always thought
Compact, Glasses, possible sun glasses depending on the weather, sweets/barley sugar and speeches.
The photo mentioned in the article is terrible sweet.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
It wouldn't surprise me one bit to learn that HM carries her Ipod with her and maybe even a Kindle. Things to have to pass time while she's traveling and wants to relax. I don't own a Kindle but when I do leave home, I always have a book I am reading with me.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:01 AM
Courtier

Probably an emergency alert button - panic button that would bring everyone running.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:28 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I don't see why she would need a panic button when she is surrounded by guards.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
It wouldn't surprise me one bit to learn that HM carries her Ipod with her and maybe even a Kindle. Things to have to pass time while she's traveling and wants to relax. I don't own a Kindle but when I do leave home, I always have a book I am reading with me.
HM would not need to carry an ipod - she can have her choice of music in her car, train or plane without any trouble.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Naaaaaw. Corgi snacks. Russo is certain of it!

Old 07-17-2010, 01:25 PM
Nobility

Didn't I read somewhere that the Queen does have an iPod and likes to use it?
Old 07-17-2010, 01:46 PM
Nobility

I have a hard time believing some of it. Little dogs and horses? A meathook? A photo of Andrew returned home from war what 20 years ago? I'm sure it's more likely to be full of practical items like tissues and makeup and perhaps pen and paper. I also wouldn't be surprised if it contains some kind of personal security device and a mobile phone.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:27 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold View Post
Didn't I read somewhere that the Queen does have an iPod and likes to use it?
I think one of the boys got her it in the past few years.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I think one of the boys got her it in the past few years.
Lumutqueen I believe you are right about the iPod. Prince Andrew got her up and running with a computer.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Nobility

So HM now surfs the net. I wonder if she checks out this site? Or does she spend all her time on the horse racing sites?
Old 07-17-2010, 09:26 PM
Serene Highness

LOL I can imagine if she checked this site!!!!
Old 07-20-2010, 06:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold View Post
So HM now surfs the net. I wonder if she checks out this site? Or does she spend all her time on the horse racing sites?
HM referred to using the internet in 1997, at the time of her golden wedding anniversary, so one can be reasonably sure she is net savvy. I too have read that she had received an Ipod, but I doubt she carries it around in her handbag.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
HM referred to using the internet in 1997, at the time of her golden wedding anniversary, so one can be reasonably sure she is net savvy. I too have read that she had received an Ipod, but I doubt she carries it around in her handbag.
She has them and no doubt she's fallen to the pranks of Harry and William with the cellphone. If she's older like me, its not an important part of her handbag. She probably has staff on the net arranging and plotting anyways. Growing up in the era my mother did.. she probably always has a lace handkerchief, enough money for a phone call (mad money) and pictures of the family she looks at and smiles at. Lipstick and compact with a mirror and always an extra set of gloves. I wouldn't be surprised though if she had the Ipod with her favorite music on it and headphones... Staff goes "HM has headphones on.. she is NOT to be disturbed".
Old 07-20-2010, 08:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
She has them and no doubt she's fallen to the pranks of Harry and William with the cellphone. If she's older like me, its not an important part of her handbag. She probably has staff on the net arranging and plotting anyways. Growing up in the era my mother did.. she probably always has a lace handkerchief, enough money for a phone call (mad money) and pictures of the family she looks at and smiles at. Lipstick and compact with a mirror and always an extra set of gloves. I wouldn't be surprised though if she had the Ipod with her favorite music on it and headphones... Staff goes "HM has headphones on.. she is NOT to be disturbed".
.... except HM famously never carries any money.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
.... except HM famously never carries any money.
yeps... you're right again... was going on what my mom taught me.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
yeps... you're right again... was going on what my mom taught me.
Did tour mom tell you where to keep the mad or emergency money? I'll bet the Queen Mum didn't pass along that pearl to her daughter.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:31 PM

I read that she carries a £20 for the collection plate at church. Can't remember for the life of me where it was.

Tags
book, elizabeth ii, handbag, queen elizabeth ii