The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-05-2010, 09:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humera View Post
Lots of pictures from today including the mass she attended at the Cathedral Church of St. James in Toronto : Image gallery
Lovgely pictures. Noteworthy that HMs personal dress style has not changed much over the years. She could very well have been using an ensemble from the 1950s, size permitting!

Old 07-05-2010, 01:56 PM
Aristocracy

I've been lucky enough to see the Queen three times during her stay in Toronto. Each time was by accident. I happen to live around the Royal York Hotel where she and Prince Philip are stayin, and have seen them coming and going from their motorcade!

Their visit has been overwhelmingly positive! I think the monarchy is far more secure in Canada than the latest polls and press make it out to be. Yes, the Queen is universally popular here and I wouldn’t expect the same crowds for Prince Charles but there just seems to be something about the Monarchy that still tugs at the heartstrings of many Canadians.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Queen Elizabeth II, wearing a white protective coat, tours the RIM (Research In Motion) factory that produces the Blackberry mobile communications handset, July 5, 2010 in Waterloo, Canada: Image gallery

Queen ELizabeth and the Ontario Preimer Dalton McGuinty wear 3-D glasses as they view a screening at Pinewood Toronto Studios in Toronto on Monday, July 5, 2010: Image gallery

Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh meet performers who worked in a 3D demonstation they saw during a visit to Pinewood Studios on July 5, 2010 in Toronto:
Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3

A seat made especially for the Queen during the visit to Pinewood Studios

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip are shown a 3D camera during a visit to Pinewood Studios
Old 07-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Gentry

YIKES! There is a blackout in Toronto -- including the Royal York! I hope it is back on soon and doesn't adversely affect the Duke of Edinburgh's Award presentation and the Government Dinner.

Saw HM and HRH arrive at Pinewood this afternoon and arrive back at the Royal York around 3:15. (Lousy) pictures tonight.

Lady Farnham took my bouquet for HM at the Royal York so it was a productive day. LOL!
Old 07-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Gentry

Here are the lousy pictures!

Click on the Royal Couple for more:

Old 07-05-2010, 06:52 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Power outage in downtown Toronto turns out lights at royal event - Winnipeg Free Press

A power outage that left large swaths of Toronto in the dark as the city sweltered Monday also turned out the lights on Prince Philip.

Prince Philip was presenting the Duke of Edinburgh Awards, a program that encourages youth to participate in community service, among other areas, at the Royal York Hotel when the lights went out.

The Royal York was also slated to host an official dinner at 7 p.m., with the Queen, Prince Philip and Prime Minister Stephen Harper. The hotel said the show would go on, with or without power.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:15 PM
Gentry

The power was turned back on at the Royal York a few minutes ago, according to CTV. :)
Old 07-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Gentry

HM is wearing The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland tiara tonight, with Mrs. Greville's chandelier earrings (wedding gift), a single strand diamond collet (?) necklace, and Queen Victoria's Jubilee brooch WITH the swag. :)

Oddly enough, she's not wearing either of her Canadian Orders.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Serene Highness

Thank goodness they didn't have to use candles. LOL
Old 07-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Gentry

I must get down to the Hockey Hall of Fame to see the new installation HM just unveiled. I love her new personalized jersey. LOL!!!
Old 07-05-2010, 11:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Don't know if the appropriate place to post this but-

Saw this on a friends FB status! Made me laugh!

If you happen 2 meet Queen Elizabeth in Manhattan tomorrow, proper etiquette dictates YOU DO NOT CALL HER: Liz, Elizabeth, Queen or Queenie
Old 07-06-2010, 01:56 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweir View Post
I must get down to the Hockey Hall of Fame to see the new installation HM just unveiled. I love her new personalized jersey. LOL!!!
If you go before middle of September (I think, I know early September sometime), you'll also be able to see all but one set of the complete Collection of all the Olympic Medals that have ever been awarded. Both Summer and Winter Olympic Games.

It's on loan from the Intl Olympic Committee's Museum and was supposed to go back in February, but the HHOF managed to renegotiate the length of the loan. However, there is one very huge gap/missing set from the Collection and that would be the set from Vancouver!!

They're still the property of the Royal Canadian Mint and the Mint wanted them back. Kind of stupid I think (and petty in a way), but the HHOF had no choice. Since the IOC has not accepted them into the Collection yet and they're still the property of the RCM, they had to go back to Winnipeg.

Anyway...If you get a chance to go before the Exhibit goes back to Switzerland, GO!!! It really and truly is something to see.

Her Majesty looked to really be enjoying her visit to RIM today. I just have a problem seeing her using a Blackberry for some reason. It's just...I don't know, and pardon me if I put my foot in my mouth, but she just seems so above having to use one of those things and I mean that in a very good way. In the way that she's got far more important things to be doing, and she certainly does as we all know, than texting away on a Blackberry.

And on that note...I need to go to bed before I shove my very big foot any further into my mouth.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:35 AM
Heir Apparent

The Queen looks lovely!

CBC News - Toronto - Queen unfazed by Toronto blackout
Old 07-06-2010, 04:05 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Queen Elizabeth stands with Canada's Prime Minister Stephen Harper after unveiling an exhibit for the Hockey Hall of Fame featuring a hockey jersey with her royal crest before a state dinner in Toronto July 5, 2010: Image gallery

Queen Elizabeth II gives a speech during a dinner at the Royal York Hotel on July 5, 2010 in Toronto: Image gallery

More pictures: Image gallery

Lots of maple leaves on the Queen's dress tonight. I found a wonderful article about it:

Queen wears 'recycled' dress to banquet in Toronto

. . . The seamstresses removed the images of the birds from the tulle lace that features sea pearls and sequins and stitched dozens of Swarovski crystals on to it.
As a tribute to Canada - one of the Queen's realms - the crystals formed maple leafs both large and small running up the dress's right sleeve and shoulder. Queen wears 'recycled' dress to banquet in Toronto - Telegraph

Video clips from earlier today:

Queen tours RIM headquarters
Queen unfazed by blackout - also has footage from the dinner, the RIM tour (during which the Queen was given a Blackberry), and Pinewood studios
Old 07-06-2010, 04:14 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Queen keeps cool as Canadian racecourse owner commits faux pas by putting his arm round her | Mail Online
Old 07-06-2010, 04:22 AM
Courtier

Does anyone know what time the queen will be speaking at the UN and if any media outlet will have a live stream on the Internet of the speech?
Old 07-06-2010, 05:43 AM
Gentry

Someone posted on the British Royals Message Board that HM is scheduled to speak at 3 PM and it will be carried on CSPAN. Not sure how reliable the information is, but that is what was posted. :)
Old 07-06-2010, 05:55 AM
Nobility

Also try the United Nations Webcast UN Webcast At 2:45 p.m. (New York time) General Assembly: 105th meeting. Address by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II on Channel 3.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humera View Post
Lots of maple leaves on the Queen's dress tonight. I found a wonderful article about it:
Queen wears 'recycled' dress to banquet in Toronto
Thats quite a canny piece of PR by BP in these troubled times, cleverly releasing details of HMs "recycling" of her dress from T&T for use in Canada. Who said the men is grey suits did not know a thing or two of managing the press?
Old 07-06-2010, 09:38 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Make do and embellish: How the Queen breathed new life into her favourite dress | Mail Online