The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Courtier

This has been an incredible visit to watch. Her address to the UN was the icing on the cake ! I thought Ban Ki-Moon's introduction was an excellent speech and very apt. What a coencidence that the Canadian delegation was in the front row for this session of the General Assembly

Old 07-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Where was the US Delegation seated next to Prince Philip?

Old 07-07-2010, 12:08 AM
Moderator Emeritus

GG's hubby Queen-hater? | Canada | News | Winnipeg Sun

Jean-Daniel Lafond didn’t want the Queen to bunk at Rideau Hall when the monarch visited the nation’s capital last week, QMI Agency has learned.

Even though Lafond and his wife Gov. Gen. Michaelle Jean were out of the country on a state visit to China when the Queen arrived in the capital on June 30, Lafond asked that the Queen and her husband, Prince Philip, find somewhere else to stay.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:31 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

I absolutely loved the outfit the Queen wore on her last day in Toronto, and that hat! just gorgeous. I love colours so her entire wardrobe during this Canadian visit has been such a treat for me to watch.

Some pictures from Toronto:

Queen Elizabeth is greeted by Hazel McCallion, mayor of the city of Mississauga, at Pearson International Airport in Toronto July 6, 2010
- for those of your who don't know, Hazel McCallion is 89, has been the mayor of Mississauga (part of the Greater Toronto Area) for more than 30 years.

With Governor General Michaelle Jean
Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3
Photo 4

At Toronto City Hall: Image gallery

More pictures: Image gallery

Newsclips:

Farewell Canada, hello New York

Queen's Canada tour ends
- wonderful images from the crowds that had gathered outside Queen's Park in order to see her
Old 07-07-2010, 03:55 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Queen tells widow of her horror on 9/11 as she visits Ground Zero | Mail Online

Quote:
'Worst thing I've ever seen': Queen tells widow of her horror on 9/11 as she visits Ground Zero
Old 07-07-2010, 07:34 AM
Nobility

Well, I braved the 103F degree heat and went down to Ground Zero to see if I could catch a glimpse. Alas, I do not merit a special audience nor was I savvy enough to get past the security perimeter.

I must say that I am very impressed with the Queen and Duke. At their age they have had a grueling schedule on this trip and have met it wonderfully. Of course they have lots of help, but still, very impressive.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Certainly a credit to their professionalism and their commitment to the causes the choose to support.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:33 AM
Royal Highness

The thing that jumped out at me in looking at all the photos of Her Majesty's trip was how much she's starting to stoop over in her neck & shoulders. It made me sad.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humera View Post
Queen Elizabeth is greeted by Hazel McCallion, mayor of the city of Mississauga, at Pearson International Airport in Toronto July 6, 2010
- for those of your who don't know, Hazel McCallion is 89, has been the mayor of Mississauga (part of the Greater Toronto Area) for more than 30 years.
'Hurricane' Hazel also met with HM at the Oscar Peterson statue unveiling at the NAC on June 30. :)
Old 07-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Royal Highness

I just want to add my appreciation & admiration to the Queen & Prince Philip for the stamina they've shown on this tour, (& this is immediately following a pretty hectic month of official duties in the UK). The Queen has seemed happy & fully involved in each of her engagements - she's also looked wonderful. Perhaps she should offer some coaching to some other England "stars" who failed to shine this summer.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

There's a difference between strength in Royal terms, to strength on the football pitch.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:30 PM
Heir Apparent

My favorite Governor, Chris Christie of New Jersey, met HM and Prince Philip.

Office of the Governor | Event Photos July 6, 2010
Old 07-07-2010, 06:13 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Statement By His Excellency Jean-Daniel Lafond

When reading certain newspapers this morning, I learned that I allegedly expressed a desire that Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh not stay at Rideau Hall during their visit to Ottawa. I do not know where this unfounded information came from, and truly insulting to me and my wife, the Governor General.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

I'm so glad Mr. Lafond released that statement because I didn't believe the allegations for a second. They made absolutely no sense. Why would he have a problem with the Queen staying in her own residence?
Certain elements in the press should be ashamed of themselves for airing rumours based on some dubious anonymous source. If this is an attempt to malign the GG and her husband (I know he has his share of critics out there) it's in very bad taste, the woman has only a couple of months left in the post.
ps..I can't help but think that Mr. Lafond's comments earlier in the week about Quebec nationalism being outdated have something to do with this spiteful attack.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:49 PM
Administrator

I am glad it was a misunderstanding but I think its a sad example of how the internet works today news. Anyone can type anything, and it spreads faster than the speed of light. No fact checking...no follow up no thing.

On another note, I think that this tour is an excellent example of how the Queen and Prince Phillip are viewed and appreciated by the masses in Canada and the States. Its too bad she couldn't have made a pit stop to the DC area, but I blew my chance to see her years ago when she came to Jamestown, VA.

On a final note, a Happy Birthday to Humera :)

Old 07-08-2010, 02:40 PM
Serene Highness

To those who don't know (or haven't been paying attention in this thread ), I am a HUGE skating fan and one of the most emotional moments of me being a fan was watching Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir become Canada and North America's first ever Ice Dancing Olympic Champions on Home Ice. First time I ever saw them was back in 2002 at the Canadian Championships when they Jr Champions and skated in the Gala.

So...What does have to do w/*this* thread? Well..Guess who were not only guests at the Official Dinner the other night, but sat at the Head Table w/HM and HRH?

Skate Canada (the governing body/organization for figure skating in Canada) has posted Tessa and Scott's account of their experience over at their web site and I'm sharing the link here...

Skate Canada News ~ Canada's Olympic Champions Meet Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Phillip

Enjoy reading and I dare any of you to say you wouldn't have done what Tessa and Scott did at the end of the Dinner and HM and HRH had left.

And nope...Not sayin...You've got to read it to find out...
Old 07-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Heir Apparent

That's pretty cool thanks for the heads up!^
Old 07-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
I just want to add my appreciation & admiration to the Queen & Prince Philip for the stamina they've shown on this tour, (& this is immediately following a pretty hectic month of official duties in the UK). The Queen has seemed happy & fully involved in each of her engagements - she's also looked wonderful. Perhaps she should offer some coaching to some other England "stars" who failed to shine this summer.
I couldn't agree more. Such a long a gruelling tour and they both have held up really well especially given their age.
My hats off to them both!
Old 07-08-2010, 09:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
To those who don't know (or haven't been paying attention in this thread ), I am a HUGE skating fan and one of the most emotional moments of me being a fan was watching Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir become Canada and North America's first ever Ice Dancing Olympic Champions on Home Ice. First time I ever saw them was back in 2002 at the Canadian Championships when they Jr Champions and skated in the Gala.

So...What does have to do w/*this* thread? Well..Guess who were not only guests at the Official Dinner the other night, but sat at the Head Table w/HM and HRH?

Skate Canada (the governing body/organization for figure skating in Canada) has posted Tessa and Scott's account of their experience over at their web site and I'm sharing the link here...

Skate Canada News ~ Canada's Olympic Champions Meet Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Phillip

Enjoy reading and I dare any of you to say you wouldn't have done what Tessa and Scott did at the end of the Dinner and HM and HRH had left.

And nope...Not sayin...You've got to read it to find out...
Great story, thank you for sharing. And, yes, I would have done the same thing.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

What a wonderful tour this was! They seemed to be well received everywhere they went.
How nice that they made a stop at the UN in NYC since so many years ago. I love the comparison footage of her speech back then compared to now. She was such a young queen and not quite so confident in herself and her new role yet.
What a contrast to how she is today.