Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh: Visit to Australia - October 19-29, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wbenson

Former Moderator
City
-
Country
United States
400px-Australian_Coat_of_Arms.png

The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will visit Australia in the Autumn.

This visit will include the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in Perth.

Last edited:
An expected announcement.

Theres speculation that HM and HRH will also visit Eastern states as well.

The length of their visit would not exceed a week I'd imagine.

Last edited:
Porch light on for Queen Elizabeth and Barack Obama | The Australian

Buckingham Palace has given the Australian government the message that this visit is, almost certainly, the last to Australia by the Queen, now aged 85. It will be a time of high emotion and some insiders predict a large turnout as the Australian public realises this is the final opportunity to see an icon of monarchy, one of the longest serving British sovereigns and the longest-serving Australian head of state, who first travelled to Australia in 1954, the inaugural visit by a reigning monarch to this country.

Apart from her CHOGM commitments in Perth, the Queen will travel east to visit Canberra along with some other states. The visit will be framed as "possibly" her last to Australia. This is not a commentary upon her health, just the reality of age. It is also a message of courtesy for her subjects, supporters and cheer squad.

Dates announced for The Queen's visit to Australia, 23 September 2011

Her Majesty and His Royal Highness will arrive in Canberra on Wednesday, 19th October before travelling to Perth on Wednesday 26th October for the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting.

Additionally, the Royal couple will undertake two “away days” one to Brisbane on Monday 24th October, and one to Melbourne on Wednesday 26th October.

Australian visit dates

Does anyone know where I can find an itinerary of the HRHs on their visit to Australia in October? I live in Canberra and would love to see them whilst they are here.

Does anyone know where I can find an itinerary of the HRHs on their visit to Australia in October? I live in Canberra and would love to see them whilst they are here.

I'll be in Brisbane during the time they're here so I'll try to take lots of pictures of them in South Bank on the 24th! :flowers:

I'll be in Brisbane during the time they're here so I'll try to take lots of pictures of them in South Bank on the 24th! :flowers:

Wow! You're so lucky to have that opportunity/ Will you share some of your photos on here?

My friend is at Canberra airport as we speak and says she is due to arrive there at any minute...

She has arrived. She looked fine but she did look old. Yes I know she is 85 and for the first time I think she really looked it.

Smallish crowd of schoolchildren to greet her but limited number due to security (it was a major air force base).

I haven't seen the coverage of HM's arrival in Australia, but I do know what you mean, Iluvbertie, about her looking old. I've been noticing that she's less steady on her feet, particularly in the last couple of years.

I had just dropped my son's friend home after cricket when we saw the police motorbikes coming around the corner, we pulled over and jumped out and got to wave to Her Majesty, and wonderfully got a wave and smile back !! Wonderful.

I told my son that I was his age when the Queen came to my home town of Tamworth, so maybe 9 years old is the age to see your first real life Queen.

Now we just have plan work, school and sport around Her Majesty's travels around our beautiful city.

I read that she arrived and they are saying it going to be the last official tour by Her Majesty and Prince Phillip. Bought a tear to my eye. I know no one lives for ever but they have both always had a special place here and are much loved. I saw the Queen in Sydney years ago and it was something I will never forget. I guess it really brings home their age and they are both sadly really showing their years especially Phillip. Although for 90 he is so active he is looking more gaunt. I hope they both have a wonderful time they aren't coming my way but I will keep up to date with the news. My sister lives in Canberra so maybe she will get to see them.

Thanks for the pics. :flowers:

I'm fascinated by ceremonial and protocol. The female Australian army officer, who is following in the heels of QEII, what is her role?
She's not an adjutant and she's not the commander of the honor guard, so what is her function?

I noticed the honor guard was armed with the FN SLR rifle, is that purely a ceremonial issue now or are some reserve units still using it?

I know, this is for nerds, but I can't help it...:)

Last edited:
The Queen looks that she is ageing as well. But I was shocked to see Lady Susan Hussey, her Lady-in-Waiting, she grows older faster and faster as well.

Like it says in the picture she'll be some high ranking member of the armed forces who was chosen to meet the Queen. Nobody nameworthy to the press.

Eh, as far as I can tell, Lumutqueen, she's a captain.
And she doesn't appear to be conversing with QEII, rather she appears to have some sort of specific role.

I've never noticed this before.
It's normal to attach an adjutant to a visiting - foreign - dignitary as a kind of liason officer.
But QEII is not visiting a foreign country and she has her own LiW's and adjutants with her. So what is this female officer doing?

Yes, I know, only nerds can be interested... :p

Last edited:
HM is splendid!!!

Definitely! :flowers:

Looking forward to seeing and reading about your experience. A once in a lifetime opportunity, for sure.

Her Majesty looked splendid on her arrival. She's indeed aging very well.

She is meeting the Queen, just because she isn't conversing with the Queen in the picture doesn't mean she hasn't before or didn't after. She could be assigned to the man who is actually conversing with The Queen, if that makes you feel better. As to what her name is, what she does, and why she's there (other than meeting the Queen) doubt anyone is going to know.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2050818/Queen-Elizabeth-arrives-Australia-tour-country.html

Easy, Lumutqueen. :hiding:

I was merely being curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom