The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-27-2011, 12:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Hey, the writers of the DM and I have the same sense of humor! Great article!

Old 10-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Love the blue outfit!

Old 10-28-2011, 03:45 AM
Courtier

Photos from the CHOGM Opening Ceremony - CHOGM Opening Ceremony | chogm2011.org

Her Majesty's speech - Speech opening the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting, 28 October 2011

I noticed on the TV News tonight that the Queen's car was flying her Personal flag with the gold E on the blue background instead of the Royal Standard of Australia. It was the first time I've seen her Personal Flag flown anywhere
Old 10-28-2011, 08:03 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – The Netherlands

Queen Attends CHOGM - Day 1

Getty Images ** Zimbio
Old 10-28-2011, 09:44 PM
Courtier

Images from the CHOGM Banquet - Banquet Dinner hosted by Her Majesty, The Queen - Pan Pacific Hotel, Perth | chogm2011.org

Always nice to see the Queen wearing the Sovereign's insignia of the Order of Australia :)

A video showing excerpts from the Queen's Opening Speech for CHOGM can be found here on The Commonwealth homepage http://www.thecommonwealth.org/

The full CHOGM Opening Ceremony can be found here http://chogm2011.org/Resources/Video_Gallery
Old 10-28-2011, 11:41 PM
Heir Apparent

One word- Regal.
Stunning!
Old 10-28-2011, 11:53 PM
Majesty

RoyalistRiley, thank you so much for sharing the pictures and the speech. Her Majesty looked terrific, and I love the tiara she was wearing. She has a very regal and majestic presence, and so much grace and poise.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:19 AM
Super Moderator

More than 100,000 people in Perth farewell the Queen | The Australian

Australia has farewelled the Queen amid extraordinary scenes in Perth, where police believe more than 100,000 West Australians packed the city's foreshore to say goodbye - perhaps for the last time - to the 85-year-old monarch.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Now that the official visit by QEII is ending. It's obvious that at least a very large segment of the Australians were pleased to see her and that the reception she got was genuine and warm.

Can you Australians describe your connection or feelings towards QEII in particular and the BRF in general?
I mean, you have a head of state, who does not reside in Australia, who visit Australia every few years and whose family visit you every couple of years.
It's also my impression that Kate and William are very popular, not that sure about the PoW though.
Why did the Australians turn up in such large numbers in order to welcome QEII? Why did you?
Was it genuine loyalty towards your Monarch? Loyalty towards QEII personally? A novelty effect? A kind of pack mentality, where everybody is going? Was it, to put it cynically, a kind of celebrity effect? Or more omnious, a last farewell?

This is so much about emotions and I know how difficult it is to put words on this.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:48 AM
Aristocracy

For me it was loyalty towards QEII personally and the sense of occasion. I went with my daughter and two grandsons in Melbourne and it was a very moving feeling. The church bells were ringing as she moved among the people and everyone was in awe of her and there was I think genuine love for our Queen. I really don't think the general public care for Charles and wouldn't turn out for him. William being Dianna's son would and does have the public support. What happens in the coming years who can say but I don't think the prince of wales will become the king of Australia. Which is sad for me as I would love to continue with a monarchy my hope rests with William and Kate
Old 10-29-2011, 07:14 AM
Courtier

Even though I am passionately in favour of Australia retaining the monarchy and am loyal subject of The Queen, I do worry that Australia will have to make a very serious decision upon HM's passing. Polls show that Prince Charles will not be a popular King and almost certainly bring about a republic, yet there is a very high level of support for a King William V of Australia, which I think will turn into a great constitutional paradox for the Australian people.

Muhler, as I have said previous posts I have never seen anything like the reception the Queen recieved during her visits on this tour, especially in Brisbane and Melbourne. I wouldn't say it's a celebrity factor but a genuine sense of warmth and affection - i know many Australians kind of see the Queen as a kindly, friendly grandmother - type figure who keeps everyone on the straight and narrow from afar. I would like to think that people are more mature about it than to judge our system soley based on where the Queen lives. Constitutional monarchy has provided enormous stability and prosperity for Australia and provides one of the few remaining links to our heritage.

As politics is more and more dominated by the professional political class who have never had a job outside their parties or the public service and declines more and more into petty populism, I fear what may happen with a President instead of the Queen.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:14 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Now that the official visit by QEII is ending. It's obvious that at least a very large segment of the Australians were pleased to see her and that the reception she got was genuine and warm.

Can you Australians describe your connection or feelings towards QEII in particular and the BRF in general?
I mean, you have a head of state, who does not reside in Australia, who visit Australia every few years and whose family visit you every couple of years.
It's also my impression that Kate and William are very popular, not that sure about the PoW though.
Why did the Australians turn up in such large numbers in order to welcome QEII? Why did you?
Was it genuine loyalty towards your Monarch? Loyalty towards QEII personally? A novelty effect? A kind of pack mentality, where everybody is going? Was it, to put it cynically, a kind of celebrity effect? Or more omnious, a last farewell?

This is so much about emotions and I know how difficult it is to put words on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady74 View Post
For me it was loyalty towards QEII personally and the sense of occasion. I went with my daughter and two grandsons in Melbourne and it was a very moving feeling. The church bells were ringing as she moved among the people and everyone was in awe of her and there was I think genuine love for our Queen. I really don't think the general public care for Charles and wouldn't turn out for him. William being Dianna's son would and does have the public support. What happens in the coming years who can say but I don't think the prince of wales will become the king of Australia. Which is sad for me as I would love to continue with a monarchy my hope rests with William and Kate
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalistRiley View Post
Even though I am passionately in favour of Australia retaining the monarchy and am loyal subject of The Queen, I do worry that Australia will have to make a very serious decision upon HM's passing. Polls show that Prince Charles will not be a popular King and almost certainly bring about a republic, yet there is a very high level of support for a King William V of Australia, which I think will turn into a great constitutional paradox for the Australian people.

Muhler, as I have said previous posts I have never seen anything like the reception the Queen recieved during her visits on this tour, especially in Brisbane and Melbourne. I wouldn't say it's a celebrity factor but a genuine sense of warmth and affection - i know many Australians kind of see the Queen as a kindly, friendly grandmother - type figure who keeps everyone on the straight and narrow from afar. I would like to think that people are more mature about it than to judge our system soley based on where the Queen lives. Constitutional monarchy has provided enormous stability and prosperity for Australia and provides one of the few remaining links to our heritage.

As politics is more and more dominated by the professional political class who have never had a job outside their parties or the public service and declines more and more into petty populism, I fear what may happen with a President instead of the Queen.
I'm in the unique position as a dual citizen in which I very proudly and easily declared my loyalty to Queen Elizabeth and her successors at my citizenship ceremony. In regards to the Royal Family residing in the UK more often than Australia or Canada, for example, I agree with RoyalistRiley in that I think the Australian people are mature enough to judge the system more wholly especially since the current Prime Minister and Opposition Leader were both born in the United Kingdom.

While the overall majority of people I know in Australia, including fierce monarchists, are generally cold to Charles I do think many are coming to the realisation that he was just as wronged in his first marriage. They see a calmer Prince of Wales with a compatible consort, the Duchess of Cornwall, by his side and I don't think that when the time comes there will be quite as much grovelling about him being King as many think now.

I agree with Lady74 that a sense of occasion probably played a part in so many people coming to welcome her in Brisbane, Melbourne, and Perth. Perhaps as well a pack mentality but for the majority who came with their family it was a mixture of loyalty towards the Queen herself and a last farewell. For myself it was loyalty towards the Queen but I would show up for Charles and William's similar visits as well when they are King. I have every possibility to see the Queen in London or Scotland if I wanted so it was more of seeing her as Queen of Australia in all that that means.

As RoyalistRiley pointed out, "Constitutional monarchy has provided enormous stability and prosperity for Australia and provides one of the few remaining links to our heritage." It would be such a shame in my opinion, as someone who grew up in a republic, to get rid of a system that has provided so much stability and prosperity to most countries in which it still remains -- including Denmark, Muhler
Old 10-29-2011, 10:41 PM
Majesty

More on the departure from The Telegraph.

Australians turn out in their thousands to say goodbye the Queen - Telegraph

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Thank you for your very interesting replies American Dane, Lady74 & RoyalistRiley