The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I would never curtsey to anyone - they are no better than me so why? I wouldn't curtsey the the US President so why curtsey to someone else in the same position?
As is your right and as was the right of the Prime Minister, whatever her reasons.

From what you've said above, you appear to consider it a gesture in recognition of the indavidual where as I'd consider it an expression of respect for the office that's held.

I'd not curtsey to the US President either, as it's not customary to do so within that culture.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 10-20-2011, 05:40 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
I agree. If the Queen visited the United States and I had the opportunity to meet her, I would still curtesy. Even though America is not under the Monarchy anymore, it is just a sign of respect for her.
I'm in complete agreement. I don't know how to curtsey, but I would bow my head as a sign of respect to any member of a royal family.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | World News :: Queen meets PM and opposition chief

Australia's turbulent political landscape and minority government were the topics of conversation when the Queen met the country's opposition leader.

Queen receives Gillard, Abbott in separate private meetings | The Australian

The Queen and Prime Minister Julia Gillard have exchanged pleasantries about Canberra's stunning weather and the Floriade flower festival.

The Queen is receiving the prime minister and, later, Opposition leader Tony Abbott at Government House.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:46 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

Getty Images
gallery from the two meetings with Gillard and Abbot. The lovely weather Australia has been having has been one of the Queen's frequent comment.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:25 AM
Super Moderator

The event at Parliament House will be streamed online at the website of the Australian Parliament in about a half hour's time.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:40 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
As is your right and as was the right of the Prime Minister, whatever her reasons.

From what you've said above, you appear to consider it a gesture in recognition of the indavidual where as I'd consider it an expression of respect for the office that's held.

I'd not curtsey to the US President either, as it's not customary to do so within that culture.

The office is one of Head of State - so either you treat all Heads of State the same way or your say some are better than others as they are treated differently.

I don't curtsey to anyone as I firmly believe that we are all born equal and that we will all be equal in the eyes of God on judgement day.

Julia Gillard has always been on the left side of politics so that isn't surprising that she would take that attitude but I do think that any person who curtsies to another is simply saying 'I am not as good as you - I am inferior to you' - and in the 21st Century that is an outdated viewpoint.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:41 AM
Heir Apparent

I do love our Parliament House. It's a wonderful building and is well worth the visit should any of you travel to Australia.

A relative of mine worked for the Senate, and is currently working for Prime Minister and Cabinet and once took me on a tour of the entire complex, including the basement which is a lively maze of kitchens, trucks, golf buggies and people. It's enormous.

I even rather cheekily sat in the Prime Minister's office chair and took the opportunity to have my photo taken. Parliament was not sitting at the time.

Quote:
The office is one of Head of State - so either you treat all Heads of State the same way or your say some are better than others as they are treated differently.
Disagree. Different institutions have different codes of conduct that have been observed and are still observed by those who feel it appropriate. It's not suggesting one head of state is better than another, it does however highlight the cultural differences that exist between them. Imo, theres absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
I don't curtsey to anyone as I firmly believe that we are all born equal and that we will all be equal in the eyes of God on judgement day.
I agree with you that we will all be judged in the eyes of God, but my choosing to curtsey to another mere mortal is hardly going to make a difference where that's concerned.

Quote:
...but I do think that any person who curtsies to another is simply saying 'I am not as good as you - I am inferior to you' - and in the 21st Century that is an outdated viewpoint.
As is your opinion, however misguided it appears to me.

I'd quite happily and willingly curtsey to an imperial or royal head of state as is my prerogative to do so.

You say outdated and subservient and I say respectful and appropriate.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:40 AM
Courtier

The Queen has just finished speaking at the reception at Parliament House - an excellent speech in my opinion. Both the Prime Minister and Opposition Leader made good speeches also, both stating how HM and HRH were welcome parts of Australia. I was shocked that the Queen and the Duke didn't have a drink with the Loyal Toast (all the other VIP's did) but overall it has been appears to have been another successful event.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:09 AM
Courtier

The Queen's Speech in full - The Queen's speech at Parliament House in Canberra, 21 October 2011
Old 10-21-2011, 06:13 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Julia Gillard fails to curtsey to Queen Elizabeth during Australia tour | Mail Online
Old 10-21-2011, 06:49 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalistRiley View Post
Thank you so much, I woke up so early just to catch up with the speech. The Queen looks amazing and sweet.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:37 AM
Courtier

Found this as I was logging off for the night and found the picture quite funny -
Queen jokes with towering basketball player - Telegraph

Pictures from the reception at Parliament can also be seen here - AAP ONE - News, Sport, Entertainment and Stock Photography, Video and Flash
Old 10-21-2011, 07:52 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – The Netherlands

Zimbio photogallery

Queen Elizabeth II Pictures - Queen Elizabeth II And Duke of Edinburgh Visit Australia - Day 3 - Zimbio
Old 10-21-2011, 07:58 AM
Royal Highness

You can always rely on the Mail to stir up trouble
Old 10-21-2011, 08:16 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
You can always rely on the Mail to stir up trouble
Well, for once, it's only reporting the trouble like anyone other newspaper is, all started by Julia herself.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Certainly not. The Prime Minister started no such "trouble".

Ms Gillard observed a correct form of etiquette in the presence of the monarch. Simple as that.

It is the media who started this pathetic campaign.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:25 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Certainly not. The Prime Minister started no such "trouble".
All a matter of opinion.
The royal correspondent for the BBC has just said 'what with affection for the current Queen and interest in the next King but one the level of support for the monarchy in Australia seems to be rather stronger now than it has been for many years'

I found the, King but one point, interesting. No mention of Charles.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Not really opinion, more fact

The Prime Minister observed what is considered by the Court of St James's as being acceptable protocol when greeting the sovereign. Hence, Ms Gillard acted in a perfectly respectable and polite manner.

Prof. David Flint, the head of the Australian Constitutional Monarchy movement himself declared it an absolute farce that the Prime Minister is being picked apart for what is a total non issue.

I would have curtsied, but that's me. Each to their own.

Quote:
No mention of Charles
He hasn't travelled to Australia since March of 2005. He's entirely off the radar and it doesn't seem as though that will change any time soon.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:05 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Still my opinion that what Julia did, was wrong. End of.

Yes I know when Charles last visited.

The Queen and Prince Philip have both looked wonderful on this trip, it will be a shame if this is her last tour to Australia but understandable.

Australian PM Julia Gillard still can't manage a curtsey for the Queen | Mail Online

That is one tall basketball player, this article is different to the one I posted above.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:45 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:

As is your opinion, however misguided it appears to me.

I'd quite happily and willingly curtsey to an imperial or royal head of state as is my prerogative to do so.

You say outdated and subservient and I say respectful and appropriate.
I agree, respectful and appropriate. Australia is not yet a Republic, in fact the last time it was voted it was to keep the Monarchy. Queen Elizabeth II is the Queen of Australia until decided otherwise.
Excuse me if I say this, but many people, who no doubt are more important than you are Iluvbertie, have curtsied to the Queen and have shown not that they are inferior but that they have impeccable manners.