The Wit and Humour of Prince Philip

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Albina, it was not a comment on you 'personally' taking offence on behalf of the chinese, but a comment on the media and those that do take offence on something Philip said, to someone else. :flowers:
Dear Skydragon,
It has been kind of you to clarify the situation.:flowers::flowers: Current times demand political correctness and cultural sensitivity from public people. So it comes as no surprise that Prince Philip's gaffes tend to cause a barrage of criticism.

I will give Phillip credit for owning up to what he says, it's not like he ever backtracks or makes public apologies...a lot of famous people do that after they get caught up in these controversies and it's never sincere.
You are very right noting that public apologies always sound very hypocritical. I for one assume that no one has ever demanded apologies from Prince Philip due to his age and position. He belongs to the old generation and does not shy away from words considered as culturally insensitive nowadays. Still it is unacceptable for Prince Philip or any other member of royal families, who are deemed to be well-bred and tactful, pass knowingly controversial remarks.

Last edited:
To hell with political correctness! I absolutely hate it, I really do! I'm not allowed to say Merry Christmas to someone for fear of "offending" them. Now, I'm not a cruel person, I am really not, and I don't go out of my way to offend someone, but people should not be discouraged or chastised for saying what they think/being blunt/ making a "controversial" comment. I mean come on! Everyone has different opinions, why do you think we have so many different cultures? So Philip is of the "old generation"............and? Why can't we of the "younger generation" say what we think? (Please keep in mind that I am not saying I agree with everything he has said or done, just that I think political correctness is ridiculous and practically robbing us of free speech and belief.......) I respect that there are different cultures, and I frankly find them fascinating to study, yet political correctness tries to blur the boundaries of the different cultures and make sure that every single person is happy........Happy Holidays instead of "Merry Christmas," Happy Hanukkah," "Happy Kwanzaa" or "Happy Ice Cream and Violin Day" .....and I've gone off on a huge tangent haven't I? *sigh*

I really hate political correctness....................and while people may or may not get offended........at the end of the day, are his comments really such a bad thing? Someone is always going to get offended no matter what you do. That's life. Get over it.

In my personal opinion, political correctness and cultural sensitivity are required during foreign visits. Prince Philip can use his wit and specific sense of humour at home, but gaffes in foreign countries may lead to unfavourable consequences. :flowers::)

I agree with QueenMaharet in general about political correctness. Many times I think Prince Philip gaffes are probably caused by off the cuff statements and often are part due to the fact his sensibilities are those most younger people anyone more that 20 or 25 years younger than he is.

To hell with political correctness! I absolutely hate it, SNIPPED So Philip is of the "old generation"............and? Why can't we of the "younger generation" say what we think? (Please keep in mind that I am not saying I agree with everything he has said or done, just that I think political correctness is ridiculous and practically robbing us of free speech and belief.......) SNIPPED I really hate political correctness....................and while people may or may not get offended........at the end of the day, are his comments really such a bad thing? Someone is always going to get offended no matter what you do. That's life. Get over it.
I couldn't agree more! Why should 'we' have to change everything we say to accomodate the few who think someone, somewhere might be offended? Did you realise it is considered non PC to refer to someone as being from the 'older generation'! Although not as old as Philip, I don't mind admitting I am one of the older generation and considered by most to be a boring old fart! :D

To hell with political correctness! I absolutely hate it, I really do! I'm not allowed to say Merry Christmas to someone for fear of "offending" them. Now, I'm not a cruel person, I am really not, and I don't go out of my way to offend someone, but people should not be discouraged or chastised for saying what they think/being blunt/ making a "controversial" comment. I mean come on! Everyone has different opinions, why do you think we have so many different cultures? So Philip is of the "old generation"............and? Why can't we of the "younger generation" say what we think? (Please keep in mind that I am not saying I agree with everything he has said or done, just that I think political correctness is ridiculous and practically robbing us of free speech and belief.......) I respect that there are different cultures, and I frankly find them fascinating to study, yet political correctness tries to blur the boundaries of the different cultures and make sure that every single person is happy........Happy Holidays instead of "Merry Christmas," Happy Hanukkah," "Happy Kwanzaa" or "Happy Ice Cream and Violin Day" .....and I've gone off on a huge tangent haven't I? *sigh*

I really hate political correctness....................and while people may or may not get offended........at the end of the day, are his comments really such a bad thing? Someone is always going to get offended no matter what you do. That's life. Get over it.

People can say whatever offensive statements they want...but like with bizarre actions, there will be consequences in some cases. As long as one can deal with them, then go for it.

Political correctness and cultural sensitivity are not bad concepts. However, they are severely eroded by certain political figures in stable well-developed European monarchies and republics.

I tend to like Prince Philip but even I think the slitty eyed comment was uncalled for.

If Prince Philip and the Queen have a little chat in bed where Philip refers to those slitty eyed Chinese I don't care. If the Queen gets offended then she can deal with it, but for Philip to say something like that where he knows that a Chinese diplomat that he may have to meet may have heard that remark, then I think its uncalled for.

There is a difference between stating a well informed but unpopular opinion and making a snide comment that is totally groundless against someone else.

Oh yes and the Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays mess. I wished a Merry Christmas to someone who told me he was Jewish. I wished him a Happy Hanukah and forgot about it. The whole exchange was no big deal. I didn't feel guilty about saying Merry Christmas and I didn't feel put upon by changing it to Happy Hanukah.

Wow.........I'm surprised that people actually agree with me!

Did you realise it is considered non PC to refer to someone as being from the 'older generation'!
Really? How am I supposed to refer to a generation that came before mine then? ^_^

I'm not saying that he hasn't made some stupid comments, because I think he has, though admittedly I tend to laugh at most of them.....whether someone of Asian descent wants to admit it or not, their eyes tend to be rather "slitty" compared to others. Was it impolite? Yeah.......but sometimes I feel like there would be a bit less hostility in the world if people would say what they think/feel instead of bottling it up and harboring secret grudges/dislike, etc......but perhaps that applies more to just my family! Ha!

Diplomats tend to be boring people because they are there to smooth things over and make everyone happy.....Prince Philip is not a diplomat, he is a man from a family raised in another country/culture (other than the one that he is visiting in) albeit a family that is often in the public eye. He is going to be different, his opinions are going to be different, because he is from a different culture. If people don't want to get offended, or be in a situation where they could be offended, then don't continue intermingling the cultures............just like if there is something that you don't like reading, stop reading it! Is it that simple? Heck no! Life is not simple....yet another thing people have to get over!:flowers:

That's my motto too
smile.gif
Read this: Mary is contrary in the politically correct year - Telegraph
Thank you for the article! I wonder what Prince Philip would say about this?!

c-ya!:cool:

I tend to like Prince Philip but even I think the slitty eyed comment was uncalled for.

If Prince Philip and the Queen have a little chat in bed where Philip refers to those slitty eyed Chinese I don't care. If the Queen gets offended then she can deal with it, but for Philip to say something like that where he knows that a Chinese diplomat that he may have to meet may have heard that remark, then I think its uncalled for.
There is a difference between stating a well informed but unpopular opinion and making a snide comment that is totally groundless against someone else.
Dear ysbel,
You have precisely captured the essence of the matter. Usual people expect impeccable behaviour from the members of the Royal houses during official engagements, especially abroad. Furthermore, these members represent their respective countries and are said to contribute to establishing relationships of a various nature (cultural or economic). In light of the said, controversial remarks may undermine work of a particular person from a Royal family during his/her mission abroad.

But do remember that Philip is 86 and it's quite normal for an 86 year old to call the Chinese slitty eyed or to pander to any stereotypes come to that. It may be unacceptable by modern standards but it's an age thing. For example, I have alot of ancient relatives who refer to me as queer - it doesn't bother me, it's generational.

I have alot of ancient relatives who refer to me as queer - it doesn't bother me, it's generational.
But BeatrixFan, surely they just mean you are 'funny peculiar'! :flowers: I can remember when being gay, meant you were cheerful or merry, does that make me ancient? :flowers:

But do remember that Philip is 86 and it's quite normal for an 86 year old to call the Chinese slitty eyed or to pander to any stereotypes come to that. It may be unacceptable by modern standards but it's an age thing. For example, I have alot of ancient relatives who refer to me as queer - it doesn't bother me, it's generational.

I agree...I have an 87 year old grandmother who is equally ignorant in her statements. But she isn't a major public figure...I think that's the point that upsets people.

Funny how it used to be asked of the Royal Family to be more "human".................and then people throw a fit when they do things that aren't up to their standards!:)

Funny how it used to be asked of the Royal Family to be more "human".................and then people throw a fit when they do things that aren't up to their standards!:)

Making racist comments doesn't make someone more human in my eyes. Especially when it happens more than once...but we all feel differently...:)

But BeatrixFan, surely they just mean you are 'funny peculiar'! :flowers: I can remember when being gay, meant you were cheerful or merry, does that make me ancient? :flowers:

:lol: Yes. Because that means you can listen to a Vera Lynn song and not giggle when she tells us to be gay in the hillsides.

When royals offend their subjects or foreign audiences, it is called "showing human side".

When royals offend their subjects or foreign audiences, it is called "showing human side".

Has anyone that Prince Philip was actually talking to (or near) reported being offended by his comments?

Actually I have not referred to Prince Philip. I happen to think that royal gaffes/controversial comments are usually regarded as an indication that royals have got human side too. :)

I wonder if he was evoking the old musical hall song of the same name?

Making racist comments doesn't make someone more human in my eyes. Especially when it happens more than once...but we all feel differently...
smile.gif

Well, making a mistake is being human, so..for someone that isn't racist (and I'm not saying that Prince Philip is) making a racist comment is a mistake....whether they mean it to be racist or not.

My dad actually recalls that in 1982, when Queen Elizabeth II came to open the Great Council of Chiefs meeting here in Fiji, the Queen had to ask Prince Phillip to refrain from making any further comments during the time the traditional ceremony of welcome were being accorded. Apparently he had been passing comments during the whole hour long ceremony to the Queen's protocol officer for the ceremony. The protocol officer was also a Fijian and was knighted by the Queen. This became a topic of conversation at the army barracks after the event. My dad was among the officers forming the guard of honour for the occassion. Of course he didnt actually hear the Queen saying that to Prince Phillip, but the protocol officer may have relayed the event to them during the after function.

I think he is very funny. He probably says some of things to calm people down. And put everyone at ease.

Wikipedia has a fantastic list of some of things he's said over the years, offensive and funny. I just like that he sometimes calls his wife "Sausage".

I read the quotes on Wikipedia.. They are so funny. I don't think they are racist. I think he making fun of culture and having fun with stereotypes.

O come on people. Prince Phillip isn't all angel you know. Remember he does come from a family background with racist tendencies. Didn't all his sisters marry Nazis?

Back
Top Bottom