The Wit and Humour of Prince Philip

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I adore Prince Philip. He is his own person and doesn't feel bad about speaking the truth. If people don't like it, tough. They seem to be ok when their politicians lie, especially in my America. Don't understand the double standard. And don't tell me he was being rude, liars [especially politicians] are twice as rude to lie to our faces with a smile.

You got that right! People do have a double standard when it comes to candidness; it's OK if it comes from a politician, or a Hollywood bimbo, but never a person like Prince Philip. I think his honesty is more refreshing, because he doesn't have any ulterior motives. He just calls things the way he sees them. Our society is too politically correct. It's getting boring as he**.

Oh good grief people...even the article seems to indicate the women took him to be teasing! If the people there weren't offended then none of you need to be.

Here's the quote:

Ms Zamir, who founded the Chadwell Heath Asian Women's Network which meets at the centre, said: 'The Duke said to us "who do you sponge off?" We're all married so it's our husbands.
'He was just teasing and it's similar to what I call my husband - the wallet.'

The 35-year-old, who presented the Queen with a large iced sponge cake as the royal couple arrived at the community centre, added: 'He also said to us "do you meet to have a gossip?"

LaRae

Thank you for being another voice of reason. I thought the whole thing was funny too, and if the people involved thought it funny, who are we to get offended? A sense of humor is steadily being replaced by a sense of offense. He didn't offend. Just acted like himself.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

If you like it or not he's not going to change at 94 so it's pointless to get upset about it. He will go out with a joke or inappropriate word good for him

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Dear Philip we are all going to miss him when he goes.
Do you know that if he never said one outrageous thing, then we would never get any news about Philip at all.

Dear Philip we are all going to miss him when he goes.
Do you know that if he never said one outrageous thing, then we would never get any news about Philip at all.

Your so right he would just walk the 2 steps behind the Queen. I know some of the things he has said haven't been in the best of taste but I don't think he has meant to ever hurt anyone.

They should have asked him the same question lol

Oh, how I wish one of them had! But they are probably all too polite, and/or intimidated by the occasion and the presence of the esteemed guests.

What I find objectionable about this latest gaffe is the implied assumption that those women are "sponging off" someone. How does he know that they are not self-employed professional women, or partners in a business with their husbands, or working two menial jobs to support their children, yet all still finding time to contribute some of their time and efforts to this centre? And, anyway, how many decades has it now been since it was deemed acceptable to tag a home-maker and primary care-giver for children as someone "sponging" off their husband?

This one was not witty or humorous, just plain rude.

Last edited:
Some of Prince Phillip's gaffes are amusing but the ones that are racist, sexist or mean have never made me laugh.

I always think of the people who are excited to meet a senior royal, who represents their country- only to made very uncomfortable.

It's not a positive trait of his.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Ms Zamir, who founded the Chadwell Heath Asian Women's Network which meets at the centre, said: 'The Duke said to us "who do you sponge off?" We're all married so it's our husbands. 'He was just teasing and it's similar to what I call my husband - the wallet.'

The 35-year-old, who presented the Queen with a large iced sponge cake as the royal couple arrived at the community centre, added: 'He also said to us "do you meet to have a gossip?"

I do believe he was tying the sponge cake [first thing of the event] to just a quick wit remark using that "sponge" word. No one there was offended and even laughed about it. They all "got it" just the media purposely drove it out of proportion because they knew it would cause a stir for some and those fell for it. I would certainly take the word of the women present that it was not rude and not some "paid to stir the muck hack".

Well we all now know more about the women's network than we would have so that's a plus

:previous: It's sad, but I have found that many politically correct people seem to have absolutely no sense of humour whatsoever. A clever witticism invariably goes sailing over their heads.

Now this latest "incident" was no incident at all but the PC Brigade are on their high horses yet again insisting that the "victims" don't know they are obliged to feel insulted.

How insulting is that?

:previous: It's sad, but I have found that many politically correct people seem to have absolutely no sense of humour whatsoever. A clever witticism invariably goes sailing over their heads.

Now this latest "incident" was no incident at all but the PC Brigade are on their high horses yet again insisting that the "victims" don't know they are obliged to feel insulted.

How insulting is that?

??

As soon as I realised that the cake was 'sponge' -- I got it!! He was trying to be interested, clever and witty, but just a few decades out of date.

Actually, after reading up on this latest "gaffe" from Philip, I find it highly amusing and have come to realize that perhaps without one of Philip's famous gaffes, some people might feel even slighted that he didn't give them one. :ROFLMAO:

This is a man that speaks his mind and is straight to the point without *****footing around things. I admire that in a person. I've found myself laughing as I've watched some of Donald Trump's statements on TV recently and though "Good gravy! He speaks his mind like Philip does!"

They should have asked him the same question lol

Heh! Considering some press about his family being "sponges" to the taxpayers, it was indeed and odd joke. Kinda too close to home, me thinks.:lol:

If anyone of those women had his propensity to say what they think, you and I might have had our wish...and have the question asked of him! All in fun and good humour of course.:whistling:

How insulting is that?

Beautifully worded. I am in full agreement. This politically correct nonsense has made people "afraid to speak" robots in public. Shame. 50 years ago people didn't take themselves that seriously and they enjoyed life and supported their fellowman. Today they just look for something to complain about in others. Most have lost all sense of humor. World is now mostly sad.

The GHASTLY Hopkins woman is specifically employed to cause offence..It is her 'bread and butter', and generates income for the rag that employs her...

I have thought that the media's calling Prince Phillip's remark a "gaffe" is incorrect, too. His remarks are intentional and appear amusing to the people he's talking to. It's the media who want to make something of it. A gaffe is defined as an unintentional remark which causes embarrassment to the one who makes it.
The media are always looking for an opportunity to find "offense". I weary of people being "offended". So, self-focused and taking oneself too seriously. I enjoy those of my father's generation who with a twinkle in their eyes make us all laugh.

I worked in Protocol during Sydney's bid for the Olympics. Amongst the RFs we had to work with, he had a reputation of being rude and difficult to deal with. Nothing to do with the media.

Actually, after reading up on this latest "gaffe" from Philip, I find it highly amusing and have come to realize that perhaps without one of Philip's famous gaffes, some people might feel even slighted that he didn't give them one. :ROFLMAO:

This is a man that speaks his mind and is straight to the point without *****footing around things. I admire that in a person. I've found myself laughing as I've watched some of Donald Trump's statements on TV recently and though "Good gravy! He speaks his mind like Philip does!"

Osipi, As the humor in the context "historical documentation" is being covered elsewhere I did some reading on the nature of joking at stereotypes and why we laugh at things. I think speaking truth to people can be powerful, as long as you let them have their say as well. But that often leads to anger, frustration and mutual bigotry.
You can poke at me that I am an overly analytical geek, have an ugly polish nose or whatever. But then I should at least be able to feel that I could equally say to someone who said those things that their analytical ability is like a dollop of whipped cream or that it's obvious the lack of oxygen drawn through their tiny nose is obviously keeping their brain from working.
And if I do reply in that way, it's bad manners and often inflammatory. I think it's worse when either "funny bigot" seems to hold power, as Philip does - in which case it falls to the less fearful press to point out the problem.
The sponge pun was funny, but insensitive.
I was delighted in this case that the woman responded that she sponged off her spouse. It took some guts to reply in that way to someone who seems powerful and is not that open minded. But I doubt the Prince got that joke.
But I do think we can and should forgive him his poor choices. And he should understand and forgive us ours. JMO.

And just to geek this out, Mirriam-Webster online defines bigot as: "a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices"

How insulting is that?

Great post!

Sometimes people just put their feet in their mouths when they re trying to be funny. It doesn't mean they're being deliberately malicious.

God how I loathe political correctness and the perpetually offended. :bang:

One TV station here interviewed someone who was at the Do where Philip asked the photographer to hurry up and take the photo. [Not in those words exactly]. And this guy said the photographers were fluffing around for a good 20 minutes, which would make most people a bit annoyed.

:previous: Why am I not surprised that the photographers were fluffing around? Exasperation is a pretty normal reaction to such a situation and I find myself understanding well why Prince Philip lost patience and decided to pull the pin.

But, the best thing of all is that when he was done with being messed around he made his feelings crystal clear. Anyone who has ever had the misfortune to be in a bridal party and held hostage by an "artistic" photographer can understand the feeling.

:previous: Why am I not surprised that the photographers were fluffing around? Exasperation is a pretty normal reaction to such a situation and I find myself understanding well why Prince Philip lost patience and decided to pull the pin.

But, the best thing of all is that when he was done with being messed around he made his feelings crystal clear. Anyone who has ever had the misfortune to be in a bridal party and held hostage by an "artistic" photographer can understand the feeling.

I was one of those brides, so I too sympathize with Philip. Sometimes the photographers just need to take the blasted picture, not wait around for the perfect light, getting people to look just at the camera at the same time, etc. Not everyone views photo shoots as works of art, so it's better to snap, and move in.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

How very true. I am sure that most sitting there thought the same thing. P. Philip doesn't "suffer fools". It would have been more logical to click off a rapid 20 shots and pick the best of the lot for publication.

The Duke shows no signs of slowing down lol

Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt
Prince Philip to a man with a beard in Malta: . "It isn't difficult,
you know, to shave in the morning!"

An unshaven Paul Tillbrook on his Maltese encounter with P Philip: "It was hilarious. He was on cracking form. He is amazing for his age."

P Philip -- husband of the Supreme Gov of C of E to a Catholic bishop: "I'll let you
into a little secret. We are all Christians, you know."

Prince Philip on Malta and tomato ketchup: "If they didn't export it they would
be up to here in the stuff," he joked, pointing to his chest

Last edited:
LOL I must admit that I didn't understand the last joke because I'm not a native english speaker... The rest is hilarious!

I think he purposely puts his foot in it sometimes to put people at ease and open up.

I think he purposely puts his foot in it sometimes to put people at ease and open up.

I think he has a reputation to hold up and will go to the end putting his foot in and giving everyone a laugh

Back
Top Bottom