The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-22-2006, 05:27 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisiñaki
When I think of HRH Prince Phillip, it always came to mind the expression: foot in mouth, wonder why?
Was it not the good duke who coined the term "Ped-odontics"?

Besides, At least we know from whence Anne gets her ladylike and genteel ways.:)

Old 02-22-2006, 05:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by qui mal y pense
Was it not the good duke who coined the term "Ped-odontics"?
Ah, yes..
In a speech to Britain's General Dental Council in November 1960, he said:
"Dentopedology is the science of opening your mouth and putting your foot in it. I've been practicing it for years."

Old 02-22-2006, 05:48 PM
Nobility

That he has.

Thanx for looking it up.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:25 PM
Aristocracy

Prince Phillip was quite loose with his comments early in his "career" as Prince Consort. His comment about "slant eyes" was back in the 1950s.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee27
Prince Phillip was quite loose with his comments early in his "career" as Prince Consort. His comment about "slant eyes" was back in the 1950s.
Do you have a source for the 1950s comment, and what was the full comment? Thanks.

I know the "slitty eyes" one was in 1986 in China.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:15 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel
Could I know, if that's OK with you, what adjective you use to qualify the trademark shape of Asian eyes?
And to people who have English as first language, is slitty a derogatory term?
At home, I call them "Ya zhou yan" or "Asian eyes". I would find offense to slitty, but it all depends on the context. I think we're all taking the 1986 comment a bit too far. He made a joke, and it was meant to be private, and that's that.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPlusBelle
At home, I call them "Ya zhou yan" or "Asian eyes". I would find offense to slitty, but it all depends on the context. I think we're all taking the 1986 comment a bit too far. He made a joke, and it was meant to be private, and that's that.
The point is that he must be very careful WHERE he says his jokes otherwise tabloids would have a field day with him and by extension with the RF
Old 02-26-2006, 12:30 PM
Serene Highness

Philip strikes again

The Divine Duke's latest classic, fresh from the 21st of this month (thanks to the Royalist)

Quote:
Prince Philip sounds to have been on fine form. According to Amanda Platell, the Queen's husband struck up conversation with the husband of brave Australian Gill Hicks, who tragically lost both legs due to horrific injuries sustained in the London terror attacks of July 7th.

"You're not Australian!", barked Philip to Gill's husband, Joe Kerr.

"No, actually I’m not important. I’m just here because of my wife" replied Joe.

To which Philip — as quick witted as ever, despite being almost 85 — responded: "Tell me about it", laughing and giving Joe a wink before walking away.

Old 02-26-2006, 01:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

That sounds familiar; I think the joke where he commiserates with someone who's just along to accompany his wife is a fairly well-used part of the repertoire.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:26 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
That sounds familiar; I think the joke where he commiserates with someone who's just along to accompany his wife is a fairly well-used part of the repertoire.
Yes, but it is always the most popular numbers who get the 'Encore!'.

Old 02-26-2006, 02:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel
The Divine Duke's latest classic, fresh from the 21st of this month (thanks to the Royalist)

Prince Philip sounds to have been on fine form. According to Amanda Platell, the Queen's husband struck up conversation with the husband of brave Australian Gill Hicks, who tragically lost both legs due to horrific injuries sustained in the London terror attacks of July 7th.

"You're not Australian!", barked Philip to Gill's husband, Joe Kerr.

"No, actually I’m not important. I’m just here because of my wife" replied Joe.

To which Philip — as quick witted as ever, despite being almost 85 — responded: "Tell me about it", laughing and giving Joe a wink before walking away.

How funny

"MII"
Old 02-26-2006, 10:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

lol that is pretty Hilarous!!!!!!
Old 11-17-2006, 09:21 AM
Nobility

I was reading his wit, and its actually quite humorous in a rather high class sort of manner. I hope to hear more! HAHAHA, COS ITS REALLY FUNNY. I'm Chinese, and I don't really find any offence in the slitty eyed comment because MOST chinese have slitty eyes. Haha, very cute. GO PRINCE PHILLIP!
Old 11-17-2006, 09:11 PM
Commoner

This thread was very amusing!! I think some things the Prince said were a rude, but I found most amusing. Slitty in America isn't used as a derogatory word. Where I come from (Hawaii) it's a place of diversity, so I respect people of a different race. It would be nice if other people had the same view. I think ( like the other people on the thread) that some of what he said was really humorous and others not so but he should respect them either way because he's a public figure. And like the very famous saying goes. What goes around comes around!!

gosh I'm blabbering!!
Old 11-17-2006, 09:21 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by britty1
Slitty in America isn't used as a derogatory word.
Some places in America it is.

It depends on the context. I trained a new salesperson who got terribly offended that a fellow trainer referred to him as Jose. His name was Julio.

I told him I would have much rather preferred Jose than Julie-oh and he disagreed. He said that Julie-oh was just an Americanization of a foreign name but calling him Jose meant my fellow trainer just saw him as another Mexican guy and he took offense to that. I know she's a nice woman but she didn't come across as that right at that moment.

Its interesting what people get offended by.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 11-17-2006, 09:21 PM

Bear in mind "context". The things Philip has said really aren't that outrageous for a man of his generation and I've heard far worse from people of his age.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:31 PM
Courtier

Going way way back to the begining of the thread about the cabbage comment. I think the story was they were at a school for the deaf and Prince Philip called the Queen cabbage not realizing that the students could read lips.

Map for the British Royals
Old 11-20-2006, 02:13 PM
Courtier

My favourite one is when he says "We don't come here for our health. We can think of other ways of enjoying ourselves." He is such a funny character although some of the things he says seems a bit rude. I would imagine that he has had classes on how to behave in public, yet one of the main reasons i like the prince is i enjoy reading about his witty comments.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:46 AM
Commoner

Personally, I think he is really charming. He reminds me of my grandfather, or Frank from Everybody Loves Raymond. I don't think that HRH means to be racist, he's just from a generation where people were much less sensitive to it, and its hard for any older person to change or keep up with "the times", whether they're royal or not. My favorite quote of his is "If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?". So true.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:09 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toledo
Well, his comments are sometimes abrasive, sometimes plain cruel and politically incorrect by today's standards, but the man is very amusing.
Agreed!

I read somewhere that he once said of Princess Anne: "If it doesn't have four legs and eat hay, she doesn't like it!"

Tags
duke of edinburgh, humor, humour, prince philip