The Wit and Humour of Prince Philip

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Magpie8907 said:
He reminds me of my grandfather, or Frank from Everybody Loves Raymond. quote]

Yes I agree! He reminds me a lot of Frank Barone now that you mention it. Sometimes I think he should think before he speaks because some of the things he says come off to me as racist. But at the same time, it is very refreshing to see a member of the BRF be so forward with their remarks. And i do admit, he is hilarious at times!

Last edited:
He's absolutely rude to the bone! But he is terribly witty and that can't be denied. I think a lot of people get offended by Phillip's remarks because of the time he represents. Many Western European countries were responsible for the genocide and colonization of many countries in order to extend their empires. They gave no thought to the fact that they were supposed to be guests and not terrorists. These people had their own productive cultures, and were happy with who they were. And now many of these countries having lost much of their own identity due to forced assimilation. For years they were made to feel that they were not as socially equal to the Westerners because of how they looked, dressed, and pretty much lived. So with all of those issues going on when Prince Phillip said things like that it just seemed wrong and it still does. But of course he wouldn't think about it like that because people who are the oppressors or, in this case the privileged majority, don't have to think about it.

However, I find that he is an equal opportunist. Prince Phillip is not above making "degrading" comments about himself and herein lies the point for me. He has something to say about anything and everything including himself. He also knows how to take it when he dishes it out. So bully for him.

Last edited:
Prince Philip Has a Mouthful Of a Title. And, Often, His Foot.

As the Queen of England visits, strolling about in her lovely hats, perhaps you've noticed a slender gentleman walking just behind her, elegantly tailored in Savile Row suits. Has a military bearing still, a handsome older chap somewhat taller than Her Majesty.
Has that air of nobility, too. Thoroughly patrician.

Prince Philip Has a Mouthful Of a Title. And, Often, His Foot. - washingtonpost.com

Philip is far from reserved

By the looks of him, you'd expect him to be a rather reserved fellow -- and you'd be wrong.
That's His Royal Highness the Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, soon to be 86....

Star-Telegram.com | 05/06/2007 | Philip is far from reserved

Last edited by a moderator:
Prince Philip cracks joke about West Virginia

Prince Philip cracks joke about West Virginia

Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip were briefly informed of how West Virginia became a state upon meeting Gov. Joe Manchin and his wife Gayle Manchin.
"These are our good friends from West Virginia, which was one time part of Virginia," explained Virginia Gov. Timothy Kaine and wife Anne Holton Kaine to their royal guests.

"And they let you come back?" quipped Prince Philip. The light-hearted exchange came Thursday at the Virginia governor's mansion, where the Manchins and eight former Virginia governors welcomed the queen back to her first visit to the United States in 16 years.

Charleston Daily Mail

I, in general, think Prince Philip is hilarious. Kind of like Sophia from the Golden Girls- says anything, and although it is sometimes offensive, it is often very funny.

I have always like Philip and his gaffes.

LadyK said:
I, in general, think Prince Philip is hilarious. Kind of like Sophia from the Golden Girls- says anything, and although it is sometimes offensive, it is often very funny.

I think Prince Philip speaks his mind and perhaps is also at times speaking what some of the other royal family members think as well. He is able to do this and not really get into trouble. In addition, I think he also speaks his "own" mind and a lot of it is quite hilarious.:)

LoL!

He's an inteligent man, with incredable witt. I find him hilarious!:ROFLMAO:

I think he is too funny for words. I also think he does it just to get a reaction and to lighten up the mood of the crowd to relax them.

I remember reading a while back on the BBC news website, that in almost all of the gaffes they talk to the people who were in the conversation with Phillip. They rarely caused offense to those who were there. The comments were often in response to other comments, or were appropriate to the situation. This was why you didn't have stories about the people being outraged, they most often weren't.

About the Aboriginese still throwing spears at each other, I believe the answer was "Yes" they were. The topic, I believe, was about keeping tribal customs alive. In some ceremonies, they do still throw spears at each other.

All I know is that Prince Philip winked at me and talked directly to me (smiling and nodding at me) when I saw him in person a few years ago...I am sure he is everything that has been reported, but at that moment, I was thrilled to be, at least for that tiny moment of his life, on the receiving end of his great charm and his sparkling smile.

These aren't funny, just offensive.

A Welsh View: Classic Prince Philip Quotes

Prince Philip (the Queen's husband) is right up there with George W. Bush when it comes to saying the wrong thing. Ever since the Queen's coronation in 1953, Prince Philip has been reeling off humourous and unintentionally insulting quotes such as...
"Do you know they have eating dogs for the anorexic now?" - Said to a blind woman with a guide dog.
"Do you still throw spears at each other?" - To an Aboriginal man on Australia's Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park.
"If it has four legs and is not a chair, has wings and is not an aeroplane, or swims and is not a submarine the Cantonese will eat it." - Said at a World Wildlife Fund meeting.

during my recent presenation in Prince Philip's presence he was quite amused by the fact girls were in the boys' brigade. he has a very good sense of humour

I remember reading a while back on the BBC news website, that in almost all of the gaffes they talk to the people who were in the conversation with Phillip. They rarely caused offense to those who were there. The comments were often in response to other comments, or were appropriate to the situation. This was why you didn't have stories about the people being outraged, they most often weren't.

About the Aboriginese still throwing spears at each other, I believe the answer was "Yes" they were. The topic, I believe, was about keeping tribal customs alive. In some ceremonies, they do still throw spears at each other.
It seems to be sections of the media that like to perpetuate the myth that the people involved were offended. Perhaps if the media actually researched or repeated the conversations that led up to his jokey comment, it would show him in a different light. It is so easy to take what he has said out of context, as your example of the spear throwing shows.:flowers:

I think he is fantastic and love his sense of humour. :lol:

during my recent presenation in Prince Philip's presence he was quite amused by the fact girls were in the boys' brigade. he has a very good sense of humour
Congratulations

Last edited:
Ascerbic wit is inate and cannot be taught or learned freestyle. I commend him!

Ascerbic wit is inate and cannot be taught or learned freestyle. I commend him!

Agreed, you either have it or you don't

I've always loved his wit and sense of humor, it adds such a lightheart feeling to a sometimes very tightwound protocol. Its refreshing.

I concur. His sense of humor, wit, and so forth is something that I "get." If he were not a royal he would blend into my family quite well.:)

It's the sort of humour that was best described by Kenneth Williams as 'acid drop'. I don't find it offensive, I find it rather refreshing and very Sophia.

I don't think he has much wit or humor...just ignorance which is clear from his constant blunders. And the fact is the stuff he says, it's not like people are picking on him. It's just stuff that no one would say unless you have no tact at all.

Viewed as innocent unintentional gaffes, tactless remarks are the last thing one can expect from members of the Royal families. I am sure that the Chinese were not amused at all. I dare say that Prince Philip slightly overindulged in gaffes. It would be better, if Prince Philip shows his innate acerbic wit to his subjects, who will have better appreciation for it.

Last edited:
I don't think he has much wit or humor...just ignorance which is clear from his constant blunders. And the fact is the stuff he says, it's not like people are picking on him. It's just stuff that no one would say unless you have no tact at all.

How do you know he is ignorant?

Viewed as innocent unintentional gaffes, tactless remarks are the last thing one can expect from members of the Royal families. I am sure that the Chinese were not amused at all. I dare say that Prince Philip slightly overindulged in gaffes. It would be better, if Prince Philip shows his innate acerbic wit to his subjects, who will have better appreciation for it.
AS Philip was talking to non chinese people when he made his remarks, I wouldn't think they had a major problem. In fact one of our chinese members said she was not offended by the remark.

The problem with Philips comments seem to come, not from the people he was talking to, but by people taking his comments out of context and then 'taking offence' on someone elses behalf!

Originally Posted by Smilla
"Non-European non-sit-down restaurant unit specializing in exotic flavours".
For me "exotic" sounds racist ;) Try again :D
Brilliant, just the sort of thing Philip might say! :D

Dear Skydragon,
I have just expressed my own opinion. I am not taking offence on the behalf of the Chinese, because the latter knows how to handle the British Royal family in an effective fashion.
If Prince Philip ever happens to visit Japan, he should use his specific sense of humour on the Japanese. It would be interesting to see a reaction.

Brilliant, just the sort of thing Philip might say! :D

Thanks :flowers: As a white blue-eyed Eastern European I am not offended if somebody calls me "white blue-eyed Eastern European" but maybe I am not enough PC ;) Common sense I'd say.

Dear Skydragon,
I have just expressed my own opinion. I am not taking offence on the behalf of the Chinese, because the latter knows how to handle the British Royal family in an effective fashion.
If Prince Philip ever happens to visit Japan, he should use his specific sense of humour on the Japanese. It would be interesting to see a reaction.
Albina, it was not a comment on you 'personally' taking offence on behalf of the chinese, but a comment on the media and those that do take offence on something Philip said, to someone else. :flowers:
----------------------
I'm sure IF Philip said something to me that I found offensive, I would tell him and not the media. :D

AS Philip was talking to non chinese people when he made his remarks, I wouldn't think they had a major problem. In fact one of our chinese members said she was not offended by the remark.

The problem with Philips comments seem to come, not from the people he was talking to, but by people taking his comments out of context and then 'taking offence' on someone elses behalf!

Just cause someone makes a racist or rude comment around people it wouldn't directly affect like say the Chinese, it doesn't mean it's ok. That's kind of warped...

I will give Phillip credit for owning up to what he says, it's not like he ever backtracks or makes public apologies...a lot of famous people do that after they get caught up in these controversies and it's never sincere.

Back
Top Bottom