The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-05-2006, 10:38 AM

I think that most people know if they like someone or not. I can tell within the first 5 seconds if I'm going to get on with somebody and I don't like them, I don't talk to them. It isn't showing them disrespect - it's just showing that I don't want to be with them. Maybe Philip has the same instinct. They meet thousands of people - he can't be expected to be polite and get along with each and every one of them.

Old 02-05-2006, 10:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilla
This has nothing more to do with Prince Philip, so I'll come back to him. You can call a spade a spade and still be minimally polite to people who've come to greet you.
He was speaking, privately, to a group of British tourists. He wasn't giving a speech, he wasn't officially greeting anyone at that time, it was a private comment, much the same as many people make.

I Still find it funny, I find the Russian remark funny and both remarks 100% accurate.

Old 02-05-2006, 10:43 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
I think that most people know if they like someone or not. I can tell within the first 5 seconds if I'm going to get on with somebody and I don't like them, I don't talk to them. It isn't showing them disrespect - it's just showing that I don't want to be with them. Maybe Philip has the same instinct. They meet thousands of people - he can't be expected to be polite and get along with each and every one of them.
In a way he's like a shop assistant. A shop assistant is paid not only to sell poeple stuff but also to be polite to them, whether he likes them or not. In his or her free time, the sales assistant can be as unfriendly as he/she likes. Same with Prince Philip: in his private life, he can be unfriendly. When he's "on tour" to serve his country, in his official capacity, he can't. Once I've read that the queen never lies. In her speeches, she omits what won't fit and I think that shows integrity as well as respect for the people she has to do with.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:43 AM

I agree Skydragon. I think it's alot to do with modern labels. Chinese people are no longer yellow, they are oriental. And black people aren't black, they are persons of colour. I was at a party and I explained that I was with my (then) partner to which the man got very PC on me and said, "Jolly good. I'm glad to see you alternative partnership types are mixing in the community". I didn't say anything but thought it was hilarious. I took it as a joke, not as an insult. People get confused with the way we say things now, even I do. Philip is 85 and it's hard for him to just change the way he thinks and speaks.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:45 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I agree Skydragon. I think it's alot to do with modern labels. Chinese people are no longer yellow, they are oriental.
Whoops - I thought "oriental" was insulting too?!
Old 02-05-2006, 10:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
In a way he's like a shop assistant. A shop assistant is paid not only to sell poeple stuff but also to be polite to them, whether he likes them or not. .
Not in Britain.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Heavens above. You see how hard it is? Are they oriental, yellow, slitty-eyed or just plain chinese?!
Old 02-05-2006, 10:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Now you have also made a joke.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:50 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Heavens above. You see how hard it is? Are they oriental, yellow, slitty-eyed or just plain chinese?!
"Asian"? Would that be okay? Or over the offensive line? Hmmm possibly insulting to Asians living abroad.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:54 AM

It must be extremely hard to keep up with the times as a public figure. Philip isn't a politician - he's a consort. I'm sure he reads the newspapers but I can't see a memo going round briefing the members of the Royal Family on how to refer to different groups of people. It's just madness. I mean, in certain cases you probably don't have to mention it. There was a wonderful sketch on 'The League of Gentlemen' where a man sat down on a bench next to a blind man and made some generally offensive comments without meaning too. He was trying to be politically correct. "How do you shave?", he asked. The blind man said, "I manage". The chap then said, "Oh I See. Is that why you see so many bearded-" and then thinking better of it said, "cyclists". It was very funny and it made me think of Philip at the time - I'm sure that sometimes he says things and then thinks afterwards, "Shouldnt have said that". But in all fairness, the people he's said these things too shouldn't have reported them on to the press. It isn't fair.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:00 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
"Asian"? Would that be okay? Or over the offensive line? Hmmm possibly insulting to Asians living abroad.
I just wonder how you refer to getting a chinese takeaway. In the UK I believe most people say going to the chinky!
Old 02-05-2006, 11:06 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
I just wonder how you refer to getting a chinese takeaway. In the UK I believe most people say going to the chinky!
"Non-European non-sit-down restaurant unit specializing in exotic flavours".
Old 02-05-2006, 11:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
"Non-European non-sit-down restaurant unit specializing in exotic flavours".

Old 02-05-2006, 11:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I don't believe they are humans. Not in the slightest. Threatening to kill people? Burning embassies? It doesn't sound like a human being to me - it sounds like an animal.
Well, try as I might, there's only one animal species I can come up with that pulls this sort of stunt, and it's H. sapiens. Granted, there are psychopathic individuals in any social species, but some of this sectarian hatred isn't due to mental illness or whatever, it's based at least to an extent in feelings that one group isn't being respected or treated humanely by another group.

As Smilla said, Prince Philip, in his public life, shouldn't be going around belittling other cultures and races in public unless it really is UK government policy to do so. What he believes and says in private is his own business, of course, bearing in mind that his private life is somewhat less private than most people's simply because of the large number of people in the royal household.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Prince_...e_of_Edinburgh
these are some quotes of Prince Philip. In one of them, he says to some Australian aboriginals "Do you still throw spears at eachother?" lol He should know more about a country that is in the commonwealth! Or maybe he was just joking.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian
these are some quotes of Prince Philip. In one of them, he says to some Australian aboriginals "Do you still throw spears at eachother?" lol He should know more about a country that is in the commonwealth! Or maybe he was just joking.
He has a razor sharp wit and an absolutely brilliant sense of British humour. That seems to be the difference between the British and other countries, we don't even query the fact that he was joking!
Old 02-05-2006, 11:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
As Smilla said, Prince Philip, in his public life, shouldn't be going around belittling other cultures and races in public unless it really is UK government policy to do so. What he believes and says in private is his own business, of course, bearing in mind that his private life is somewhat less private than most people's simply because of the large number of people in the royal household.
The remark about the Chinese was a private remark to a group of British tourists and he cannot be held responsible for every little nobody, who wants to see their name in print.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian
these are some quotes of Prince Philip. In one of them, he says to some Australian aboriginals "Do you still throw spears at each other?" lol He should know more about a country that is in the commonwealth! Or maybe he was just joking.
Not trying to stir anything up here, but the fact is that some less acceptable tribal 'traditions' still linger.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Not trying to stir anything up here, but the fact is that some less acceptable tribal 'traditions' still linger.
Obviously then, he got his information from you!
Old 02-05-2006, 11:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
The remark about the Chinese was a private remark to a group of British tourists and he cannot be held responsible for every little nobody, who wants to see their name in print.
I think by now he should have realised that when he says things like that to people in public (and these weren't his friends in a private home or whatever), they're liable to end up in print.

Tags
duke of edinburgh, humor, humour, prince philip