The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #61  
Old 01-16-2006, 06:54 AM
Aussie Princess's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: n/a, Australia
Posts: 373
Isn't it....I bet those people were pretty confused I think he is just one of many people who thinks before he says things, which we all do sometimes, because I do think he is a funny man, but some of his comments could, and have, offend people. I remember in the Queens Castle documentry when they were talking about Windsor park and he was talking about people who protest and he kept referring to them as 'the tree huggers'
I heard a similar story ysbel about Audrey Hepburn, she was in an elevator or all places and there were two old women saying nasty things about her in Dutch...obviously not realising she was Dutch!
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 01-16-2006, 08:03 AM
Tinika's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, United States
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahc4
"I declare this thing open...whatever it is."

HRH The Duke of Edinburgh in Vancouver, 1969, when he forgot the name of a new annexe to city hall. Supposedly it has been known as "East Thing" ever since.
Hee. I actually think HRH is quite witty and really funny a lot of the time. The one about the Soviets having murdered half his family was brilliant as well--and true!
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 01-16-2006, 08:46 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Washington, United States
Posts: 215
I call my husband "turnip" sometimes.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 01-16-2006, 09:18 AM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Princess
Isn't it....I bet those people were pretty confused I think he is just one of many people who thinks before he says things, which we all do sometimes, because I do think he is a funny man, but some of his comments could, and have, offend people. I remember in the Queens Castle documentry when they were talking about Windsor park and he was talking about people who protest and he kept referring to them as 'the tree huggers'
I heard a similar story ysbel about Audrey Hepburn, she was in an elevator or all places and there were two old women saying nasty things about her in Dutch...obviously not realising she was Dutch!


I can't believe anyone would say anything nasty about Audrey Hepburn. At least the Swedish sailors had some excuse, Greta Garbo in her sixties looked nothing like the star of the cinema decades ago but Audrey Hepburn always looked just like herself. I can't believe the Dutch didn't know she was Dutch! Did she say anything?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 01-25-2006, 10:39 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Washington, United States
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyemma
Ok this one is pretty cool. I love historical rivalries. and they did murder half his family
Sad, rather than cool. If you recall, they were at the time his wife's cousin's too. The British royals did NOTHING to save the Russian Imperial family.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 01-25-2006, 11:20 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Monterey, United States
Posts: 2,323
I Do love the fact that he slammed em :) thought it was awsome!!!!! Go Philip!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 01-26-2006, 08:48 AM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,859
Quote:
The British royals did NOTHING to save the Russian Imperial family
What could they have done? Very little without putting themselves in a risky position.
__________________
Kaye aka BeatrixFan
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 01-26-2006, 10:21 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakodas
Sad, rather than cool. If you recall, they were at the time his wife's cousin's too. The British royals did NOTHING to save the Russian Imperial family.
Hardly Queen Elizabeth or Prince Philips fault. George and Mary did not want an outcry from their everloving public and suffered personally for it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 01-26-2006, 10:46 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Washington, United States
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
What could they have done? Very little without putting themselves in a risky position.
Yes, that is what people do. Put themselves at risk to save children from being slaughtered. We will never know what could have been done along diplomatic or other channels. It was simply NEVER done.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 01-26-2006, 11:18 AM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,386
All of Europe was in the middle of a World War. British soldiers were dying at an appalling rate each day. Many countries resources were severely stretched and they were barely trying to survive.

We also have to remember that the removal of the Czar was initially quite peaceful. No one predicted, not even Nicholas' closest family members who survived, that the whole Imperial family would be obliterated. The Mensheviks who initially took power preferred to work with Nicholas albeit as a marginal figure. It was the Bolsheviks, a rival party who overthrew the Mensheviks, who really started the wholesale destruction, not only of the Imperial family but several less privileged Russians.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 01-26-2006, 12:11 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,859
Quote:
Yes, that is what people do. Put themselves at risk to save children from being slaughtered. We will never know what could have been done along diplomatic or other channels. It was simply NEVER done
Ysbel is right. And whilst I find the Romanov murders to be totally brutal, cruel and inhuman, there were rallies and riots here in Britain praising the action of the Bolsheviks. The Prime Minister sent a message of congratulations to Lenin. We could have lost our Monarchy - and George and Mary knew that if the Monarchy crumbled, it was the end of the society they knew. It's very unfair to blame them for the Romanov deaths.
__________________
Kaye aka BeatrixFan
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 01-26-2006, 01:25 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,894
I think the assassination of the Russian royal family was partly what made the British government so keen to rescue Prince Philip's father after he'd been made a scapegoat by the new Greek government. At least that was successful.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 01-26-2006, 01:45 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Monterey, United States
Posts: 2,323
If only they had acted in the same manner with the Tsar I Agree the Murder was very very Senseless :( But I Also agree that the King and Queen were put in an impossible situation
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 01-26-2006, 02:50 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Washington, United States
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Ysbel is right. And whilst I find the Romanov murders to be totally brutal, cruel and inhuman, there were rallies and riots here in Britain praising the action of the Bolsheviks. The Prime Minister sent a message of congratulations to Lenin. We could have lost our Monarchy - and George and Mary knew that if the Monarchy crumbled, it was the end of the society they knew. It's very unfair to blame them for the Romanov deaths.
Yes, unfair. I did NOT blame them for the deaths. I said they did absolutely not one thing to help their cousins. Prince Phillip blamed the Russians alive today for killing his family. That is NOT fair either. And them some of you considered it "humor"!!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 01-26-2006, 02:54 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,859
Hmmm. I'm going to back away from this one because we're on crossed wires, but I will say that Prince Philip is actually saying publicly what people are saying in private.
__________________
Kaye aka BeatrixFan
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 01-26-2006, 03:18 PM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakodas
Yes, unfair. I did NOT blame them for the deaths. I said they did absolutely not one thing to help their cousins. Prince Phillip blamed the Russians alive today for killing his family. That is NOT fair either. And them some of you considered it "humor"!!!
Well Philip probably said it because he wasn't born a member of the British Royal Family, he was born a Prince of Greece and Denmark. Although the Greeks would have been hard put to save Nicholas themselves.

One of my favorite sayings by a member of the BRF is from the late Queen Mum. She met an old Boer veteran who told her bitterly, "I can never forgive what the English did to my people." The Queen replied: "Oh, I do so understand. We in Scotland often feel just the same."
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 01-26-2006, 04:59 PM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakodas
Yes, unfair. I did NOT blame them for the deaths. I said they did absolutely not one thing to help their cousins. Prince Phillip blamed the Russians alive today for killing his family. That is NOT fair either. And them some of you considered it "humor"!!!
It's called gallows humour, if in doubt make a joke about it. I do find it funny and sadly true.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 02-04-2006, 04:45 PM
politikgirl's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Racist? They aren't racist comments - they are funny comments and they are comments that actually could have been said by anybody. I'm afraid most British people aren't as politically correct as Europe would have us be.
I live in Canada and we prize ourselves on being respectful of different races and cultures, and I'm quite hesitant about the husband of our monarch going around making jokes about "slitty-eyed" Chinese people. In fact, I find it disgusting.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 02-04-2006, 04:54 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,859
Quote:
I live in Canada and we prize ourselves on being respectful of different races and cultures, and I'm quite hesitant about the husband of our monarch going around making jokes about "slitty-eyed" Chinese people. In fact, I find it disgusting
Well here we aren't scared to speak our mind. We live in a democracy where every one is free to say what they like and everyone is free to agree or disagree with it. The Prince can say whatever he likes - and I for one am glad he does. He's the only public figure brave enough to say publicly what we all think privately.
__________________
Kaye aka BeatrixFan
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 02-04-2006, 07:11 PM
politikgirl's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 233
So what everyone thinks privately is that Chinese people are "slitty-eyed"? Hmmm.

Canada is a democracy too, but respect for other races is important, and as the consort of our monarch, I would hope that Prince Philip values respect for other races too.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
duke of edinburgh, humor, humour, prince philip


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Caricatures & Cartoons of the Swedish Royals GrandDuchess Royal House of Sweden 29 11-05-2017 09:36 AM
Prince Carl Philip, Picture Thread Part 1 Yennie Prince Carl Philip, Princess Sofia and Family 91 04-08-2016 10:54 PM
Prince Carl Philip's 18th Birthday: May 13, 1997 Josefine Prince Carl Philip, Princess Sofia and Family 6 06-15-2015 04:02 PM
The Protocol Thread BeatrixFan British Royals 67 01-10-2013 06:57 PM




Popular Tags
austria beatrice (1986- ) birthday birthday celebration carl gustaf chris o'neill crown princess mary crown princess victoria current events denmark duchess of cambridge gala dress earl of snowdon general news hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume infanta cristina infanta leonor infanta sofia iñaki urdangarín king felipe king felipe vi king philippe king willem-alexander letizia liechtenstein monarchy news pablo urdangarín pieter van vollenhoven portugal pregnancy prince alexander prince carl philip prince daniel prince felix prince gabriel prince harry prince nicholas prince oscar princess alexandra of luxembourg princess beatrice princess claire of luxembourg princess estelle princess leonore princess madeleine princess margaretha of luxembourg princess mary casual style princess mary fashion princess of asturias princess sofia princess sofia's daytime fashion princess victoria queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen mathilde queen maxima queen silvia rohan family romania spanish jewels spanish state visit to japan state visit stephanie sweden swedish royal family the duchess of cambridge casual wear victoria



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:01 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises