The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-16-2006, 06:54 AM
Nobility

Isn't it....I bet those people were pretty confused I think he is just one of many people who thinks before he says things, which we all do sometimes, because I do think he is a funny man, but some of his comments could, and have, offend people. I remember in the Queens Castle documentry when they were talking about Windsor park and he was talking about people who protest and he kept referring to them as 'the tree huggers'
I heard a similar story ysbel about Audrey Hepburn, she was in an elevator or all places and there were two old women saying nasty things about her in Dutch...obviously not realising she was Dutch!

Old 01-16-2006, 08:03 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahc4
"I declare this thing open...whatever it is."

HRH The Duke of Edinburgh in Vancouver, 1969, when he forgot the name of a new annexe to city hall. Supposedly it has been known as "East Thing" ever since.
Hee. I actually think HRH is quite witty and really funny a lot of the time. The one about the Soviets having murdered half his family was brilliant as well--and true!

Old 01-16-2006, 08:46 AM
Aristocracy

I call my husband "turnip" sometimes.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:18 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Princess
Isn't it....I bet those people were pretty confused I think he is just one of many people who thinks before he says things, which we all do sometimes, because I do think he is a funny man, but some of his comments could, and have, offend people. I remember in the Queens Castle documentry when they were talking about Windsor park and he was talking about people who protest and he kept referring to them as 'the tree huggers'
I heard a similar story ysbel about Audrey Hepburn, she was in an elevator or all places and there were two old women saying nasty things about her in Dutch...obviously not realising she was Dutch!

I can't believe anyone would say anything nasty about Audrey Hepburn. At least the Swedish sailors had some excuse, Greta Garbo in her sixties looked nothing like the star of the cinema decades ago but Audrey Hepburn always looked just like herself. I can't believe the Dutch didn't know she was Dutch! Did she say anything?
Old 01-25-2006, 10:39 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyemma
Ok this one is pretty cool. I love historical rivalries. and they did murder half his family
Sad, rather than cool. If you recall, they were at the time his wife's cousin's too. The British royals did NOTHING to save the Russian Imperial family.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

I Do love the fact that he slammed em :) thought it was awsome!!!!! Go Philip!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2006, 08:48 AM

Quote:
The British royals did NOTHING to save the Russian Imperial family
What could they have done? Very little without putting themselves in a risky position.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakodas
Sad, rather than cool. If you recall, they were at the time his wife's cousin's too. The British royals did NOTHING to save the Russian Imperial family.
Hardly Queen Elizabeth or Prince Philips fault. George and Mary did not want an outcry from their everloving public and suffered personally for it.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:46 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
What could they have done? Very little without putting themselves in a risky position.
Yes, that is what people do. Put themselves at risk to save children from being slaughtered. We will never know what could have been done along diplomatic or other channels. It was simply NEVER done.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:18 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

All of Europe was in the middle of a World War. British soldiers were dying at an appalling rate each day. Many countries resources were severely stretched and they were barely trying to survive.

We also have to remember that the removal of the Czar was initially quite peaceful. No one predicted, not even Nicholas' closest family members who survived, that the whole Imperial family would be obliterated. The Mensheviks who initially took power preferred to work with Nicholas albeit as a marginal figure. It was the Bolsheviks, a rival party who overthrew the Mensheviks, who really started the wholesale destruction, not only of the Imperial family but several less privileged Russians.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Yes, that is what people do. Put themselves at risk to save children from being slaughtered. We will never know what could have been done along diplomatic or other channels. It was simply NEVER done
Ysbel is right. And whilst I find the Romanov murders to be totally brutal, cruel and inhuman, there were rallies and riots here in Britain praising the action of the Bolsheviks. The Prime Minister sent a message of congratulations to Lenin. We could have lost our Monarchy - and George and Mary knew that if the Monarchy crumbled, it was the end of the society they knew. It's very unfair to blame them for the Romanov deaths.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think the assassination of the Russian royal family was partly what made the British government so keen to rescue Prince Philip's father after he'd been made a scapegoat by the new Greek government. At least that was successful.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

If only they had acted in the same manner with the Tsar I Agree the Murder was very very Senseless :( But I Also agree that the King and Queen were put in an impossible situation
Old 01-26-2006, 02:50 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Ysbel is right. And whilst I find the Romanov murders to be totally brutal, cruel and inhuman, there were rallies and riots here in Britain praising the action of the Bolsheviks. The Prime Minister sent a message of congratulations to Lenin. We could have lost our Monarchy - and George and Mary knew that if the Monarchy crumbled, it was the end of the society they knew. It's very unfair to blame them for the Romanov deaths.
Yes, unfair. I did NOT blame them for the deaths. I said they did absolutely not one thing to help their cousins. Prince Phillip blamed the Russians alive today for killing his family. That is NOT fair either. And them some of you considered it "humor"!!!
Old 01-26-2006, 02:54 PM

Hmmm. I'm going to back away from this one because we're on crossed wires, but I will say that Prince Philip is actually saying publicly what people are saying in private.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:18 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Yes, unfair. I did NOT blame them for the deaths. I said they did absolutely not one thing to help their cousins. Prince Phillip blamed the Russians alive today for killing his family. That is NOT fair either. And them some of you considered it "humor"!!!
Well Philip probably said it because he wasn't born a member of the British Royal Family, he was born a Prince of Greece and Denmark. Although the Greeks would have been hard put to save Nicholas themselves.

One of my favorite sayings by a member of the BRF is from the late Queen Mum. She met an old Boer veteran who told her bitterly, "I can never forgive what the English did to my people." The Queen replied: "Oh, I do so understand. We in Scotland often feel just the same."
Old 01-26-2006, 04:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
It's called gallows humour, if in doubt make a joke about it. I do find it funny and sadly true.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:45 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Racist? They aren't racist comments - they are funny comments and they are comments that actually could have been said by anybody. I'm afraid most British people aren't as politically correct as Europe would have us be.
I live in Canada and we prize ourselves on being respectful of different races and cultures, and I'm quite hesitant about the husband of our monarch going around making jokes about "slitty-eyed" Chinese people. In fact, I find it disgusting.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:54 PM

Quote:
I live in Canada and we prize ourselves on being respectful of different races and cultures, and I'm quite hesitant about the husband of our monarch going around making jokes about "slitty-eyed" Chinese people. In fact, I find it disgusting
Well here we aren't scared to speak our mind. We live in a democracy where every one is free to say what they like and everyone is free to agree or disagree with it. The Prince can say whatever he likes - and I for one am glad he does. He's the only public figure brave enough to say publicly what we all think privately.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:11 PM
Aristocracy

So what everyone thinks privately is that Chinese people are "slitty-eyed"? Hmmm.

Canada is a democracy too, but respect for other races is important, and as the consort of our monarch, I would hope that Prince Philip values respect for other races too.

Tags
duke of edinburgh, humor, humour, prince philip