Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt
Prince Philip to pupils in Cardiff: "you must have really good
brains to speak Welsh".

Old 10-15-2016, 04:58 AM
Majesty

Yes I DO get up at 4am, your royal highness! - BBC Newsbeat

Old 10-15-2016, 06:53 AM
Courtier

Make of it what you will ..... Elizabeth was advised by ..... advisors?! ..... not to marry Philip - because he was too funny!

The Queen Was Advised Not to Marry Prince Philip Because He Was Too Funny | Vanity Fair?
Old 05-04-2017, 08:31 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Prince Philip's most amusing remarks amid retirement news | Daily Mail Online

'I declare this thing open, whatever it is': The gaffe-prone Duke who often said what he shouldn't (although the public loved him for it)

Old 05-04-2017, 09:02 AM
Majesty

Whatever one may think of him the DoE is one of the last real exponents of how silly (and dangerous!) political correctness is.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:18 AM
Heir Apparent

I find most of his remarks rather amusing.

The man is a walking history book.

LaRae
Old 05-04-2017, 09:31 AM
Aristocracy

I like Prince Philip's humor and jokes, even if it could be insulting. He is a strong man, a rare breed in today's society.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:03 AM
Royal Highness

He does have a very one of a kind humour. Very dry, rather dark. But he has said stuff that is borderline offensive. Cannot laugh about a comment about ''slitty eyes''.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:07 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Philip is Philip. Totally unique unto himself. He's got a quick wit about him and just a way of endearing himself to people.

Age hasn't dimmed his appreciation of a good looking woman either. One of my favorite Philipcisms is on seeing a young lady dressed in a red dress with a zipper on the front, he stated "I'd probably get arrested if I unzipped that".
Old 05-04-2017, 10:22 AM
Serene Highness

I love Philip's wit. He is a man comfortable with himself and doesn't bow to political correctness. When asked a question he will answer and not lie. One of the last true gentlemen of a different era. If he offends some people, shame. Maybe those same people offend him [or even all from my generation] He is not going to change at 96 because some have tried to change how we should think. Not a fu-foo politician. I absolutely love him for it.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:32 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

commenting on his own retirement
'Sorry to hear you're standing down, sir.' 'Well I can't stand up much longer!' Prince Philip, 95, seals his retirement in typically humorous style as he prepares to end 70 years of royal duties

Prince Philip seals retirement in typically humorous style | Daily Mail Online
Old 05-04-2017, 03:05 PM
Majesty

Ha, yes, just read it on twitter! I think he took advantage of the possible misuderstanding: maybe the other person meant "stepping down"?
Old 08-02-2017, 01:22 AM
Majesty

Prince Philip retires - Best gaffes from Queen Elizabeth's consort | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

20 Wittiest moments of Prince Philip
Old 08-02-2017, 08:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post

Some are funny but a lot are downright offending. If he only said them in his later years I could forgive but he didn't
I know times were different but most are sexist and racist
Old 08-02-2017, 09:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

96 quotes from the Prince of being rude - some of the things he have said over the years are just awful and very offending:
Prince Philip's best and worst public gaffes ahead of his final royal engagement - relive 96 classic quotes - Mirror Online

This is one of the reasons I have never been a fan of him, but I appreciate everything he has done for HM, the monarchy, the UK, the Commonwealth and charities.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:01 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Philip said to the Royal Marines today "you should be locked up". Ah, the last engagement wouldn't be complete without a classic gaffe!

I have found some of his gaffes amusing in the past, but some of them haven't been jokes but just borderline racist and sexist remarks. However; I admire his sense of duty. I shall miss him on engagements, but he deserves a rest!

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank

Tags
duke of edinburgh, humor, humour, prince philip