Old 07-18-2015, 04:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...-off?CMP=fb_gu

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Old 07-18-2015, 05:05 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
It's sad, but I have found that many politically correct people seem to have absolutely no sense of humour whatsoever. A clever witticism invariably goes sailing over their heads.

Now this latest "incident" was no incident at all but the PC Brigade are on their high horses yet again insisting that the "victims" don't know they are obliged to feel insulted.

How insulting is that?
Great post!

Sometimes people just put their feet in their mouths when they re trying to be funny. It doesn't mean they're being deliberately malicious.

God how I loathe political correctness and the perpetually offended.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:31 PM
Serene Highness

One TV station here interviewed someone who was at the Do where Philip asked the photographer to hurry up and take the photo. [Not in those words exactly]. And this guy said the photographers were fluffing around for a good 20 minutes, which would make most people a bit annoyed.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:30 PM
Majesty

Why am I not surprised that the photographers were fluffing around? Exasperation is a pretty normal reaction to such a situation and I find myself understanding well why Prince Philip lost patience and decided to pull the pin.

But, the best thing of all is that when he was done with being messed around he made his feelings crystal clear. Anyone who has ever had the misfortune to be in a bridal party and held hostage by an "artistic" photographer can understand the feeling.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:05 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Why am I not surprised that the photographers were fluffing around? Exasperation is a pretty normal reaction to such a situation and I find myself understanding well why Prince Philip lost patience and decided to pull the pin.

But, the best thing of all is that when he was done with being messed around he made his feelings crystal clear. Anyone who has ever had the misfortune to be in a bridal party and held hostage by an "artistic" photographer can understand the feeling.
I was one of those brides, so I too sympathize with Philip. Sometimes the photographers just need to take the blasted picture, not wait around for the perfect light, getting people to look just at the camera at the same time, etc. Not everyone views photo shoots as works of art, so it's better to snap, and move in.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:38 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

How very true. I am sure that most sitting there thought the same thing. P. Philip doesn't "suffer fools". It would have been more logical to click off a rapid 20 shots and pick the best of the lot for publication.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:01 AM
Heir Apparent

The Duke shows no signs of slowing down lol

Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt
Prince Philip to a man with a beard in Malta: . "It isn't difficult,
you know, to shave in the morning!"

An unshaven Paul Tillbrook on his Maltese encounter with P Philip: "It was hilarious. He was on cracking form. He is amazing for his age."

P Philip -- husband of the Supreme Gov of C of E to a Catholic bishop: "I'll let you
into a little secret. We are all Christians, you know."

Prince Philip on Malta and tomato ketchup: "If they didn't export it they would
be up to here in the stuff," he joked, pointing to his chest
Old 11-27-2015, 05:06 PM
Heir Apparent

LOL I must admit that I didn't understand the last joke because I'm not a native english speaker... The rest is hilarious!
Old 11-27-2015, 10:34 PM
Courtier

I think he purposely puts his foot in it sometimes to put people at ease and open up.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:21 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
I think he purposely puts his foot in it sometimes to put people at ease and open up.

I think he has a reputation to hold up and will go to the end putting his foot in and giving everyone a laugh

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 11-28-2015, 02:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
The Duke shows no signs of slowing down lol

Prince Philip to a man with a beard in Malta: . "It isn't difficult,
you know, to shave in the morning!"

An unshaven Paul Tillbrook on his Maltese encounter with P Philip: "It was hilarious. He was on cracking form. He is amazing for his age."

P Philip -- husband of the Supreme Gov of C of E to a Catholic bishop: "I'll let you
into a little secret. We are all Christians, you know."

Prince Philip on Malta and tomato ketchup: "If they didn't export it they would
be up to here in the stuff," he joked, pointing to his chest
Love all the jokes- except didn't understand the one about the ketchup , but love his sense of humor!
Old 11-28-2015, 08:11 PM
Heir Apparent

^ Tomatoes grow everywhere in Malta because of the climate, as this elderly article shows.

2,000 Tons of tomatoes to be exported to EU countries - The Malta Independent
Old 01-19-2016, 08:59 PM
Heir Apparent

I am putting this here because, according to one definition of "wit", it seems to be on-topic. I am not suggesting it is at all humorous.

I happened upon this article while browsing through "The Age" Archives, and thought some might find it interesting.

"“THE AGE”, Wednesday, January 19, 1977; Page 10 (World News)

UK has dry rot, says Philip

LONDON. January 18 – Prince Philip today called on Britain not to concentrate so much on the underprivileged and unfortunate – and to give more help to the enterprising instead.

And he says: “In a great effort to make life easier for people we have really, in many cases, removed the one thing that makes it interesting, which is a challenge and an opportunity, a risk both of loss and gain.”

In an interview on the state of the nation in today’s issue of the Director, he compares Britain’s plight to the spread of dry rot in a building.

“You don’t know when it starts, you don’t know when the crisis is, but gradually the place becomes uninhabitable.”

He says people were beginning to realise that we should “not concentrate quite so heavily on the unsuccessful and the unfortunate and the underprivileged but try to create a situation where the enterprising can make their contribution, which will also help the underprivileged.”

“We have forgotten one end of the story. Perhaps we have become over-concerned with failure.”"
Old 01-19-2016, 10:13 PM
Nobility

Quote:
He says people were beginning to realise that we should “not concentrate quite so heavily on the unsuccessful and the unfortunate and the underprivileged but try to create a situation where the enterprising can make their contribution, which will also help the underprivileged.”
I agree with Prince Philip; it's like giving those who need it a tractor so they can grow their own food, instead of just supplying them food... seems a much better solution to me (except in emergencies, of course).
Old 01-20-2016, 02:57 AM
Majesty

Political Correctness aside, there is a lot to be said for the old adage: Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:02 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Political Correctness aside, there is a lot to be said for the old adage: Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
True!He's right again!Old Phil knows what he talks about.In your face lines and have you in stitches humour.
The man is a monument!!
Old 01-20-2016, 05:51 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:

As long as he lives near the water ! ; -)
Old 03-12-2016, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Prince Philip jokes he's the 'world's most experienced plaque unveiler' at opening of Wiltshire barracks

Video: Prince Philip jokes he's the 'world's most experienced plaque unveiler' at opening of Wiltshire barracks - Telegraph
Old 04-20-2016, 03:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince Philip jokes with Royal Mail as Queen is handed £500 pen for 90th birthday | Daily Mail Online
Old 05-09-2016, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator

Several disruptive/argumentative posts have been deleted. This thread is about Wit and Humour not speeches made by the Duke of Edinburgh almost 40 years ago.

Tags
duke of edinburgh, humor, humour, prince philip