The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-10-2015, 07:44 PM
Serene Highness

Saying the F... word is nothing compared to what Photographers shout at their victims in other places. Just ask any Hollywood celeb about the disgusting things they shout at them. Looks like tit for tat here.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
Saying the F... word is nothing compared to what Photographers shout at their victims in other places. Just ask any Hollywood celeb about the disgusting things they shout at them. Looks like tit for tat here.
Hmmm.....where do you get this information? Just curious. Any photographer who shouts out 'disgusting things' would find their livelihood in peril, methinks. Just saying.

Anyway, looks like I've hit a nerve with my pov. There comes a point in life (somewhere around the age of 21 my mother told me) when you can't use excuses anymore for bad behavior. I believed her and live by that. However, I don't mean to sound harsh with Philip. Compassion is a virtue, after all. Yet I would make it clear to my children (who are still very young and would not be impacted) that such behavior, while understandable in someone his age and with his background, still remains not laudable and should not be emulated. Full stop.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
Very true. In the William and Kate courting days paparazzi would yell "Sl*t, Wh*re, B*tch" etc to provoke a reaction for a picture. But one has to make a distinction between those "photographers" and the ones doing official pictures like this.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:19 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm not trying to excuse his behavior, but I don't think there are many who take what he says seriously. Philip is Philip and this is nowhere near the worst he has said.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Having had to deal with someone like this in my personal life, I am not amused.

My own impatience emerging with such.
I agree, I've never found it charming. While frankness is admirable, rudeness most certainly isn't.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:27 PM
Heir Apparent

I think the poster was referring to the paparazzi shouting obscenities more than fashion or news photographer.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 07-10-2015, 08:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
Very true. In the William and Kate courting days paparazzi would yell "Sl*t, Wh*re, B*tch" etc to provoke a reaction for a picture. But one has to make a distinction between those "photographers" and the ones doing official pictures like this.
So maybe it's a cultural difference? I've never heard such base stuff, either personally when in the vicinity of such or via anecdotes by those who have been. I have a hard time imagining it, in fact. Regardless, I doubt Prince Philip ever had to hear such in all the decades of his public life. Seriously.

Anyway, fact remains, 'tit-for-tat' is a no-win situation. Big time. Accepting that it's okay, and can be excused, goes against the grain with me. Sometimes it's important to make a stand, no matter how much affection one may have for a well-known personage. JMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I agree, I've never found it charming. While frankness is admirable, rudeness most certainly isn't.
Yep.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:50 PM
Heir Apparent

In the days when she was courting Harry Chelsy Davy endured a barrage of those words from paps in order to provoke a reaction.

However, I agree the sort of photographers Prince Philip has encountered all his life are a different breed. Philip has always been master of the salty language and newspapers pounce on it. It's usually dismissed by readers as being typical of him and then forgotten until the next time. Probably the photographer didn't appreciate being sworn at, though.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:53 PM
Royal Highness

There are four types of very old people: those who were rude and hateful when younger, and who still are ; those who have become rude and hateful with age; those who were sweet and kind throughout a long life; and rarest of all, those who were mean and rude in their younger years, but who became sweet and kind in old age.

Did I miss any type? It's probably easy for us to think of people of each type. Sometimes people with very hard lives are lovely; sometimes people who have had easy lives are horrid.

Frequently older people who are rude are ignored by many of their younger relations; Philip won't be.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-10-2015, 10:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
However, I agree the sort of photographers Prince Philip has encountered all his life are a different breed.
Exactly so. Any photographers Philip has encountered have likely been punctilious in their respect towards him. He has no excuse, no history, that warrants such a disrespectful attitude towards someone not just doing their job, but making Philip's status certain. Like someone once observed, the royals will be on their way out when the photographers no longer care to show up. Philip is nipping at the hand that feeds his status.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
A very disappointing episode indeed.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:33 PM
Courtier

photographers aka paparazzi in the United States have been rude in America also to celebs, especially women celebs all to get a reaction out of them
Old 07-10-2015, 11:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
There are four types of very old people: those who were rude and hateful when younger, and who still are ; those who have become rude and hateful with age; those who were sweet and kind throughout a long life; and rarest of all, those who were mean and rude in their younger years, but who became sweet and kind in old age.

Did I miss any type? It's probably easy for us to think of people of each type. Sometimes people with very hard lives are lovely; sometimes people who have had easy lives are horrid.

Frequently older people who are rude are ignored by many of their younger relations; Philip won't be.
A nice post, ladongas.

You didn't miss any type, unless it's the old person who is in a daily struggle with their darker natures. Meaning, depending on the day, the hour, the provocation - watch out! Heaven or hell. Meet my granddad.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I agree.
He has had to exercise patience with photographers many times in the past.
If he can't be gracious, he should at least be courteous.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Really he is 94 and if the royals want to keep him doing engagements they have to expect the odd slip up. You know it's not the end of the world and I doubt anyone really cares apart from members on here who seem to be perfect in every way.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 07-11-2015, 12:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

If any of the young royals said anything like this, world of media and internet would've blew up, lol. ITN Source edited his comment out.

Prince Philip could have done very well if he was in mob, lol.

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-11-2015, 12:08 AM
Royal Highness

The media is assuming he said the 'F' word but no one hear him.

He had been repeatedly telling the photographer to hurry up and then said something else that some assumed to the 'F' word.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
The media is assuming he said the 'F' word but no one hear him.

He had been repeatedly telling the photographer to hurry up and then said something else that some assumed to the 'F' word.
He did say the 'f'word. I heard it loud and clear and so did everyone esle. ITN Source News had the video with the full comment, but they have since edited it out. BBC News bleeped it out-

Prince Philip swears during photocall - BBC News

William blushed and Edward laughed.

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-11-2015, 01:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Really he is 94 and if the royals want to keep him doing engagements they have to expect the odd slip up. You know it's not the end of the world and I doubt anyone really cares apart from members on here who seem to be perfect in every way.
Exactly so. Glad you noticed. I know I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
He did say the 'f'word. I heard it loud and clear and so did everyone esle. ITN Source News had the video with the full comment, but they have since edited it out. BBC News bleeped it out-

Prince Philip swears during photocall - BBC News

William blushed and Edward laughed.
Yeah, it's an embarrassment. It is. Everyone has to cover for him and laugh and ha-ha (like Edward is doing). I'm glad that William blushed. At least he knows. We're with you on this one, William!
Old 07-11-2015, 01:51 AM
Serene Highness

I just watched the video and the Prince looks clearly distressed to me. He stood up straight away after the photo. So something was going on with him here.

Tags
duke of edinburgh, humor, humour, prince philip