The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-12-2006, 04:33 PM

Silly sausage is quite a common one here. Doughnut is a good one - and fish seems to be popular amongst the chav population.

Old 01-12-2006, 04:50 PM
Aristocracy

Fish??? I use silly sausage but normally for my dog lol!

Old 01-13-2006, 12:18 AM
Nobility

Why did he call her cabbage?
Old 01-13-2006, 12:25 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Princess
Why did he call her cabbage?
Could be a bad translation for «mon chou» - lovely French nickname.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Are all British royals racists? Because with the comments made by some of them, I believe they are very stiff and living in the times of the British Empire so they are much better than anyone, they treat people condescently without any moral right to do it because their lives are full of nasty divorces (with the exception of Fergie & Andy) and other scandals

PD: -ducks tomatos- please I you are offended by my words stay away from sharp objects
Old 01-13-2006, 12:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

we should start a Prince Philip picture thread I Dont know how myself :)
Old 01-13-2006, 12:59 AM
Nobility

Has he ever defended these comments or clarified them? I can imagine a lot of negative... reactions to his comments.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:00 AM
Administrator

Picture thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan
we should start a Prince Philip picture thread I Dont know how myself :)
No need to create a new thread as we already have one, here.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:15 AM
Courtier

HRH isn't known for his tact at the best of times.lol. Alas, the Duke thought people would find his comments amusing but turns out that they were funnier in his head.lol.

Poor Philip!

"MII"
Old 01-13-2006, 03:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Crisinaki they are not racist and stuck in the past. It is just his humour and he thought it would be funny. But it wasnt as funny as he thought it was.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:33 PM

Racist? They aren't racist comments - they are funny comments and they are comments that actually could have been said by anybody. I'm afraid most British people aren't as politically correct as Europe would have us be.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilla
The point is that to some extent he IS a representative of his country, whether he wants or not, and he should take this into account before opening his mouth. (BTW, I suppose I should give him some credit because when he grew up political correctness was not an issue and he's at an age where you don't change your ways anymore.)
I think it is more a case of he comes from an era when people did not repeat conversations to the press and he prefers to continue to believe (mistakenly) that most people have a sense of honour.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:00 PM

I agree Skydragon - it is true. In a 'Guide to Etiquette' I have from 1928, it says, "If you are privelaged enough to have a conversation with a member of our Royal Family then it is unforgivable to repeat that conversation to a newspaper. Remember that anything you say may be used against the Royal Family and that isn't acceptable".
Old 01-13-2006, 04:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Racist? They aren't racist comments - they are funny comments and they are comments that actually could have been said by anybody. I'm afraid most British people aren't as politically correct as Europe would have us be.
Nor do we want to be. I heard a good pc one yesterday (not by DoE) - It was about people who are 'aspirationally challenged'!
Old 01-13-2006, 04:28 PM

LOL! It beggars belief. How many people will say 'the bloody French?' when they see Jacques Chirac on the TV? The same goes for the Germans. I'd rather that than attempting the impossible, which is standing in a circle holding hands singing, "I'd like to teach the world to sing".
Old 01-13-2006, 07:28 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess BellyFlop
Could be a bad translation for «mon chou» - lovely French nickname.
that';s interesting because in the english speaking royals thread I mentioned how I heard the Queen and her husband sometimes speak French when they are in public to avoid being overhead and understood-seems they are overheard, but not understood, and thus the stories about 'cabbage' got started?
Old 01-13-2006, 07:41 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:

that';s interesting because in the english speaking royals thread I mentioned how I heard the Queen and her husband sometimes speak French when they are in public to avoid being overhead and understood-seems they are overheard, but not understood, and thus the stories about 'cabbage' got started?

That's funny, Aussie Princess. It reminds me of Greta Garbo when she was living as a recluse in New York. She was crossing the street when some Swedish sailors behind her said in Swedish, "Get a move on, old bag lady" and she turned around and said to them in Swedish "This old bag lady will move when she's good and ready."
Old 01-13-2006, 11:57 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margrethe II
HRH isn't known for his tact at the best of times.lol. Alas, the Duke thought people would find his comments amusing but turns out that they were funnier in his head.lol.

Poor Philip!

"MII"
Very true Margrethe!! THe comments aren't meant as charactor assasinations or put-downs, simply observations made with a humourous understanding of the conversation. With the amount of time His Royal Highness is expected to maintain polite, harmless and sometimes technical conversations, it's understandable that throw-away comments are made in the hope of a humourous reaction.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margrethe II
Alas, the Duke thought people would find his comments amusing but turns out that they were funnier in his head.lol.
"MII"
Isn't that the same with everyone? Some people can take offence at something that has someone else curled up with laughter!
Old 01-14-2006, 11:38 AM
Courtier

Quote:

That's very amusing!

Tags
duke of edinburgh, humor, humour, prince philip