The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-20-2013, 02:26 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
Looking at Ethiopian art-
"It looks like the sort of thing that my daughter would bring home from school art lessons."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
@SkyNewsRoyal: #royal Prince #Philip to nurse at Luton hospital y'day: "The Philippines must be half-empty - you're all here running the NHS." #awkward
Both quotes are classic Philip; he's one man who I'd love to have a conversation with.

"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my new group!
Old 02-20-2013, 03:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

I love how he doesn't seem to care if people find his comments racist (or classist or nationalist or what not). If he thinks it's funny, he'll say it. You have to have a certain sense of humour to find it funny, but it's kind of like a fresh glass of water in this PC world that we live in.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:21 PM
Serene Highness

Wow at all the people finding this comment funny. It's racist and a sh.tty thing to say. The only reason he gets a pass is because he's white and old.

http://www.baztrad.com/gaffes.htm
He should just stop talking altogether. He doesn't seem to have any respect for different cultures. The people finding this funny should engage in some re-thinking.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:23 PM
Heir Apparent

I dont think it is racist or sh:ty at all. A visit to pretty much any NHS hospital would reveal the truth in his comments.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:26 PM
Serene Highness

That's fine but look at the link I posted. He's been saying dumb stuff for far too long.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
Wow at all the people finding this comment funny. It's racist and a sh.tty thing to say. The only reason he gets a pass is because he's white and old.

http://www.baztrad.com/gaffes.htm
He should just stop talking altogether. He doesn't seem to have any respect for different cultures. The people finding this funny should engage in some re-thinking.
Prince Philip is from a generation before all this PC rubbish.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:42 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
Prince Philip is from a generation before all this PC rubbish.
That doesn't excuse his racism.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
That's fine but look at the link I posted. He's been saying dumb stuff for far too long.
I did, although I had read them all before. Funny then, funny now. No re-thinking required. Not PC but still funny.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:45 PM
Serene Highness

Then we can agree to disagree. I find the stuff that comes out of his mouth to be offensive and racist.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Both quotes are classic Philip; he's one man who I'd love to have a conversation with.
I so agree with you. How much fun would that be to sit and have tea with Prince Phillip. Although it will never happen to me, sounds like a load of fun.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I bet in the old days you would have called for his head.

If we are going to be a free society, we are going to have to put up with people saying things we don't like or agree with. Otherwise, we are not truly free, regardless of our station in life.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
What is racist about making a sly comment about the number of foreign born workers employed at many levels in medical institutions? Anyone with 2 open eyes would see it is simply a fact. Is it racist to comment on facts now? It is so hard to keep up on what is PC and not PC these days.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
What is racist about making a sly comment about the number of foreign born workers employed at many levels in medical institutions? Anyone with 2 open eyes would see it is simply a fact. Is it racist to comment on facts now? It is so hard to keep up on what is PC and not PC these days.
Who said I was only referring to his recent comments?
Old 02-20-2013, 04:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Its not witty, nor is it humorous - but it is predictable.

The majority will not find it racist at all and put it down to "Good old Phil, putting his foot in it". However, if Charles, Andrew or any other royal did this, there would be an outcry.

Why should longevity protect individuals?

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-20-2013, 04:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Who said I was only referring to his recent comments?
In your post 563 you called his comment on the Filipino nurse "racist and sh:ty".
Old 02-20-2013, 04:57 PM
Serene Highness

And then I made a clear reference and even a link to more stuff he's said.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:09 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Its Philip, he's a character from a different time and age. Most people in the UK got used to it and they appreciate that there is still somebody in this oh so politically correct world who dares to speak his mind. Go Philip as long as you can!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-ceremony.html
Old 02-20-2013, 05:11 PM
Serene Highness

I didn't know the opinion of those intentionally/unintentionally belittle and insult people of different races is still appreciated as being ''honest.''

Learned something new on this forum I guess.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Its Philip, he's a character from a different time and age. Most people in the UK got used to it and they appreciate that there is still somebody in this oh so politically correct world who dares to speak his mind. Go Philip as long as you can!
'The Philippines must be half-empty - you're all here running the NHS': Gaffe-prone Duke of Edinburgh cracks nurse joke at hospital ceremony | Mail Online
What would have been the response if it had been Prince Charles? Or PRince Andrew?

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-20-2013, 05:23 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
What would have been the response if it had been Prince Charles? Or PRince Andrew?
Possibly outrage. Its a Philip trademark and the media treats it as such. People expect such gaffes from him or are even disappointed if he only does boring small talk like the Queen etc. Philip is only the consort (HM could never say the stuff he does), he is 91 years old, comes from the totally different world than today. Over the decades, people have anticipated that Philip has done a tremendous job while refusing to give up his personality. He has always been like this and its his prerogative.

No offence to younger posters who are not familiar with Philip and his attitude but he is very popular and respected in the UK despite (or maybe because ) of his gaffes and they are not labelled racist or offensive at all but each one added to the gaffe history making use of the opportunity to repeat those of previous years.

Tags
duke of edinburgh, humor, humour, prince philip