The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Heir Apparent

My favourite:

The Pope was visiting Holyrood House. Philip was standing next to Iain Gray (Scottish Labour leader) and noticed Gray's tartan tie.

Turning to Conservative leader Annabel Goldie, the Prince asked:
Have you got a pair of knickers made out of this stuff ?"

To which Annabel quickly replied:
"I can't possibly comment, and even if I did, I couldn't possibly exhibit them!"

Old 06-10-2011, 04:44 PM
Heir Apparent

From the 90th birthday BBC interview:
In a clip when a pressman asked him if he felt well he replied: "Why, do I look ill?"
When the interviewer asked him if it had been hard to set limits on the media during the filming of Royal Family, he said:" Well, we did not let them film us in the bathroom".
In a clip from HM and the DOE's 60th wedding aniversary visit to Malta, the DOE watches the newswoman give her report. She does not know that he is behind her.
He makes his presence known with the comment, " Are you quite finished?"

Old 06-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Thanks, these are priceless!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:22 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Prince Philip about Hannah Jackson, blonde in red dress: 'Id be arrested if I unzipped that' | Mail Online
Old 05-16-2012, 10:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Oh what a laugh! Priceless!! Reading all his quips is a good way to end ones day.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 05-16-2012, 10:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Priceless!
Old 05-16-2012, 11:37 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Prince Philip is a legend; I'm so glad he didn't allow PC to change him and just speaks his mind.
And let's face it - he isn't wrong about that dress, is he?
Old 05-16-2012, 11:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Some people just go out of their way to be offended.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:49 PM
Heir Apparent

I loved the one recently- he was talking to a disabled person in an electric wheelchair, and said " How many people have you run over today?"

I get that one all the time myself- great icebreaker!
Old 05-16-2012, 01:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think I speak for most Brits when I say we'd be pretty disappointed if Philip didn't make the odd slightly inappropriate joke from time to time. It's something we'll miss about him when he's gone.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:59 PM
Majesty

This was really entertaining to read. I love that he is just being himself, and doesn't really care what others have to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Prince Philip is a legend; I'm so glad he didn't allow PC to change him and just speaks his mind.
And let's face it - he isn't wrong about that dress, is he?
I'm in agreement here . Sometimes calling a spade a spade is acceptable (and in this case, it could have been used as an icebreaker, rather than as something to get offended about).

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
I loved the one recently- he was talking to a disabled person in an electric wheelchair, and said " How many people have you run over today?"

I get that one all the time myself- great icebreaker!
I loved that particular story. A great way to make someone feel at ease in a nerve-wrecking situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
I think I speak for most Brits when I say we'd be pretty disappointed if Philip didn't make the odd slightly inappropriate joke from time to time. It's something we'll miss about him when he's gone.
I'm not a Brit, but I do share your sentiment.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:43 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
This was really entertaining to read. I love that he is just being himself, and doesn't really care what others have to say.

I'm in agreement here . Sometimes calling a spade a spade is acceptable (and in this case, it could have been used as an icebreaker, rather than as something to get offended about).

I loved that particular story. A great way to make someone feel at ease in a nerve-wrecking situation.

I'm not a Brit, but I do share your sentiment.
And likely more of tongue in cheek remarks to come as the Good Man was dismissed from hospital this morning!
Old 06-09-2012, 08:51 PM
Heir Apparent

When asked by reporters as he was leaving the hospital today, if he felt better:
"I would not be going home from the hospital if I didn't!"
That's Phillip folks- back telling us like it is and better than ever!
Old 06-09-2012, 09:13 PM
Courtier

I love Prince Phillip and his humour. He says it how he sees it and I really don't think he means to be cruel. He is like my dad! Same type of sense of humour very dry.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:55 PM
Heir Apparent

He's the original Navy sea dog - no derogatory meaning intended - and so he's crusty, acerbic, cuts to the chase and speaks his mind. I knew as soon as I read his comment exiting the hospital that it would end up here!
Old 06-09-2012, 10:08 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
When asked by reporters as he was leaving the hospital today, if he felt better:
"I would not be going home from the hospital if I didn't!"
That's Phillip folks- back telling us like it is and better than ever!
Oh, typical Philip . Short, sweet and to the point .

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:53 PM

I LOVE Philip's sense of humour! The Queen loves him so much - so She must be a very joyful person!

Here with Richard Nixon:

FB Fan Page of my blog
http://www.facebook.com/queenelizabeththesecond
Old 07-30-2012, 10:49 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

So do I. Although it has to be said Richard Nixon came across as someone with great sense of humour as well.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:09 AM
Gentry

It's a bit of a mixed bag, certainly including a fair amount of, well, rude bigotry, but some seem reasonable, not gaffes at all e.g.

Quote:
On being introduced to the chairman of Britain's Channel 4, HRH said, "So YOU'RE responsible for the kind of crap channel 4 produces."
Fair comment.

Quote:
On Sarah Ferguson he said, "Her behavior was a bit odd. I don't see her because I do not see much point."
Fair comment.

Quote:
In 1967, he was asked to go to Russia to improve diplomatic relations with Britain and the USSR. He said, "Are you bloody mad? The bastards murdered half my family."
True enough.
I wonder how he feels about the man who murdered another chunk of his family (Thomas McMahon) getting out of gaol as part of a political deal.

Quote:
He also said, "The problem with London is the tourists. They cause the congestion. If we could just stop tourism we could stop the congestion.."
This one suggests he doesn't quite know what side his bread is buttered on.

Another one (not shown on that list) that is sometimes listed as a gaffe: someone asked him whether he'd been to the Scilly Isles and he answered, "Yes, my son owns them."
Old 08-28-2012, 03:20 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz_Voz View Post
Another one (not shown on that list) that is sometimes listed as a gaffe: someone asked him whether he'd been to the Scilly Isles and he answered, "Yes, my son owns them."

This one is similar to his comment to one of the courtiers shortly after The Queen's accession and they went down to Windsor. This courtier was showing him around and said something along the lines of 'you will like living at Windsor Sir'.

The reply - 'Yes I will - my mother was born here.' - as was his grandmother of course.

Tags
duke of edinburgh, humor, humour, prince philip