The Wit and Humour of Prince Philip

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
photographers aka paparazzi in the United States have been rude in America also to celebs, especially women celebs all to get a reaction out of them

There are four types of very old people: those who were rude and hateful when younger, and who still are ; those who have become rude and hateful with age; those who were sweet and kind throughout a long life; and rarest of all, those who were mean and rude in their younger years, but who became sweet and kind in old age.

Did I miss any type? It's probably easy for us to think of people of each type. Sometimes people with very hard lives are lovely; sometimes people who have had easy lives are horrid.

Frequently older people who are rude are ignored by many of their younger relations; Philip won't be.

A nice post, ladongas. :flowers:

You didn't miss any type, unless it's the old person who is in a daily struggle with their darker natures. ;) Meaning, depending on the day, the hour, the provocation - watch out! :p Heaven or hell. Meet my granddad. :D

Last edited:
I agree, I've never found it charming. While frankness is admirable, rudeness most certainly isn't.

I agree.
He has had to exercise patience with photographers many times in the past.
If he can't be gracious, he should at least be courteous.

Really he is 94 and if the royals want to keep him doing engagements they have to expect the odd slip up. You know it's not the end of the world and I doubt anyone really cares apart from members on here who seem to be perfect in every way.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

If any of the young royals said anything like this, world of media and internet would've blew up, lol. ITN Source edited his comment out.

Prince Philip could have done very well if he was in mob, lol.

The media is assuming he said the 'F' word but no one hear him.

He had been repeatedly telling the photographer to hurry up and then said something else that some assumed to the 'F' word.

The media is assuming he said the 'F' word but no one hear him.

He had been repeatedly telling the photographer to hurry up and then said something else that some assumed to the 'F' word.

He did say the 'f'word. I heard it loud and clear and so did everyone esle. ITN Source News had the video with the full comment, but they have since edited it out. BBC News bleeped it out-

Prince Philip swears during photocall - BBC News

William blushed and Edward laughed.

Really he is 94 and if the royals want to keep him doing engagements they have to expect the odd slip up. You know it's not the end of the world and I doubt anyone really cares apart from members on here who seem to be perfect in every way.

Exactly so. :flowers: Glad you noticed. :p I know I am.

He did say the 'f'word. I heard it loud and clear and so did everyone esle. ITN Source News had the video with the full comment, but they have since edited it out. BBC News bleeped it out-

Prince Philip swears during photocall - BBC News

William blushed and Edward laughed.

Yeah, it's an embarrassment. It is. Everyone has to cover for him and laugh and ha-ha (like Edward is doing). I'm glad that William blushed. At least he knows. We're with you on this one, William! ;)

I just watched the video and the Prince looks clearly distressed to me. He stood up straight away after the photo. So something was going on with him here.

I'm not too surprised. He just doesn't have the time nor energy to deal with photographers wanting "a perfect shot" at his age. If he had berated the photographer, I might be offended. But this is just classic Philip

He has had a lot of group photos lately too. It's been a busy time for him, time to cut back a bit.

I think it's funny. :lol: It's exactly the sort of thing I'd say in that situation and I would have laughed hysterically if I'd heard him, and probably applauded. It proves he's human and that he swears. So do I. A lot. Especially when I'm tired or feeling unwell or just don't like being where I am and want to be at home and comfortable. I know how to behave properly and I usually do, but sometimes I snap. Philip snapped.

The difference between Philip and me is that I can get away, because I don't live in a fishbowl and nobody really cares whether I stay or go. He doesn't have that freedom. All his adult life has been lived in a fishbowl, or glass house. People watch everything he does and listen to every word he says, just waiting for him to slip up, and hoping he does because it will sell papers. We've always known he's not "politically correct", and that he makes occasional comments that are racist or just plain rude. I think it has probably been very difficult for him to live the way he has, following behind his wife, and smiling and being polite to people he probably thinks are fools and/or just doesn't want to be with.

And now he's 94. A 94 year-old, whether man or woman, shouldn't have to be on their best behaviour all the time. He should be able to do whatever he wants at this stage of his life and enjoy himself, and say whatever he wants. He shouldn't be in a fishbowl, with people wanting to photograph him and catch him saying something outrageous. I think they should be able to live quiet, private, lives at this stage. I think the fact they have to work under this pressure till they die is grossly unreasonable. Elizabeth seems to be determined to do it, and Philip seems to think he has to do it, too. I suspect Elizabeth wants to do it; I'm not so sure about Philip. Whatever the reason, I don't envy them.

Last edited:
Thank you Roslyn for saying what I wasn't brave enough to say ?

I think it's funny. :lol: It's exactly the sort of thing I'd say in that situation and I would have laughed hysterically if I'd heard him, and probably applauded.

That makes one of us!
In his position, courtesy is the least that can be expected. If he can't manage that, he ought to pack it in, imo. He can spend his time lounging around the palace, being rude to the servants who can't answer back.

Personally I have never liked Phillip for this reason, and I perceive him as a sort of domestic tyrant.

Old age does not excuse anyone, imo. In fact, it's supposed to make people more tolerant!

That makes one of us!
In his position, courtesy is the least that can be expected. If he can't manage that, he ought to pack it in, imo. He can spend his time lounging around the palace, being rude to the servants who can't answer back.

Personally I have never liked Phillip for this reason, and I perceive him as a sort of domestic tyrant.

Old age does not excuse anyone, imo. In fact, it's supposed to make people more tolerant!

I don't know were you heard that old age makes one more tolerant.. Maybe you might think different if you make it to 95

I worked for a couple years in a residential care center....age does not make one more tolerant. Really, barring mental illness or something like senility etc...you become pretty set in your ways and sometimes your personality is magnified...some become more self centered.

That said I LOVED working with seniors. So much life they have seen and can tell you.

LaRae

I think Philip is a breath of fresh air in our politically correct world. There are times when calling a spade a 'spade' is exactly what's needed. However, in our politically correct world that is frowned upon. He says what he thinks without sugar coating, and many dislike him for it, since hearing the truth is often extremely unpleasant. Our society could use a few more straight-forward individuals who are in the limelight.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I have to admit that the idea that one hits a certain age and obviously has a personality extraction and starts doddering around with a vacant smile and acts like a saint on Prozac, creeps me out. I love being around older people who are as sharp as a tack and haven't lost anything except their youth. What they have done is earned the right not to be messed around by nitwits.

In that photograph, there are three of his peers to his right and left, and when Philip looks to his right, something bugs him and he lets rip when the photographer gets to him. I can't help but wonder how long the photographer had been fluffing around before the admirable order to cut to the chase.

All this moaning and pontificating by saints-in-waiting, shows just how patient, kind and forgiving these younger people really are and gives rise to endless entertainment.

In that photograph, there are three of his peers to his right and left, and when Philip looks to his right, something bugs him and he lets rip when the photographer gets to him. I can't help but wonder how long the photographer had been fluffing around before the admirable order to cut to the chase.

I agree completely. We're not shown a particularly long clip of the events, just a few seconds before the DoE curses, so we don't know how long the photographer was fluffing around (and in those few seconds it does look like the photographer is fluffing around).

While the Duke's behaviour is rude, I don't think it's necessarily indicative of some darker personality trait of his. While we know he's a tough man who has a less than PC sense of humour he doesn't typically come across as being a cruel and impatient man - typically his lines, however inappropriate they might be, seem more to be attempts at making a joke to break the ice. This instance isn't meant to be a joke, but I don't think a moment of anger or tyranny - it's a man who's grown impatient with being fluttered about and is telling the photographer to get on with it in, admittedly, not the best of way.

I just viewed the footage. It looked to me like the photographer was in uniform. In the force. Because I worked as a commercial photographer for many years and have taken photos of groups of special people in our community, I can tell you that one takes care that each individual is looked after, especially if they are frail.

It looked to me like the photographer was checking on one of the veterans and it may have been delaying the taking of the photo. Although I agree with Roslyn, I felt he was vulgar and authoritarian for a man in his position. He is however a 90+ year old hard working man. He won't be perfect. Except that he does have a track record ;)

Time for the younger royals to take up some slack.

I worked for a couple years in a residential care center....age does not make one more tolerant. Really, barring mental illness or something like senility etc...you become pretty set in your ways and sometimes your personality is magnified...some become more self centered.

That said I LOVED working with seniors. So much life they have seen and can tell you.

LaRae

I totally agree. My mother is 87 and my aunt is 93, and tolerant they are not. They pretty much want things their way! And they are both much more outspoken than they were when they were younger, so I'm not surprised if Prince Philip is as well.

I adore Prince Philip. He is his own person and doesn't feel bad about speaking the truth. If people don't like it, tough. They seem to be ok when their politicians lie, especially in my America. Don't understand the double standard. And don't tell me he was being rude, liars [especially politicians] are twice as rude to lie to our faces with a smile.

Obnoxiousness is what British and Anglo-Saxons call humour.

Oh good grief people...even the article seems to indicate the women took him to be teasing! If the people there weren't offended then none of you need to be.

Here's the quote:

Ms Zamir, who founded the Chadwell Heath Asian Women's Network which meets at the centre, said: 'The Duke said to us "who do you sponge off?" We're all married so it's our husbands.
'He was just teasing and it's similar to what I call my husband - the wallet.'

The 35-year-old, who presented the Queen with a large iced sponge cake as the royal couple arrived at the community centre, added: 'He also said to us "do you meet to have a gossip?"

LaRae

Back
Top Bottom