The Wit and Humour of Prince Philip

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah OK, thanks for the corrections. I got confused since it was mentioned in an article about Monday's visit.

My favorite quote of the Duke is one he adamantly insists he never said, to a group of students in Cardiff about 15 years ago "Deaf? No wonder you're deaf standing so close to that racket (or row)". In a 2004 interview with Gyles Brandreth for a book he wrote on the Duke and Queen Elizabeth, Prince Philip said the story was invented by the press, that his mother Princess Alice of Battenberg was severely deaf (from birth) and that he wouldn't say such an insensitive thing. So it makes one wonder if some of these quotes are inventions of the press. Also his mother was quite a woman as well; a nun living at a monastery in Greece when the Nazis invaded in 1940 or 1941. Supposedly a high-ranking German general came to ask her as a courtesy (since she descended from Princes and Princesses of Battenberg), if there was anything she needed. "You can take your troops out of my country" she replied. Now we know where Philip gets his mouth from.

My favorite quote of the Duke is one he adamantly insists he never said, to a group of students in Cardiff about 15 years ago "Deaf? No wonder you're deaf standing so close to that racket (or row)". In a 2004 interview with Gyles Brandreth for a book he wrote on the Duke and Queen Elizabeth, Prince Philip said the story was invented by the press, that his mother Princess Alice of Battenberg was severely deaf (from birth) and that he wouldn't say such an insensitive thing. So it makes one wonder if some of these quotes are inventions of the press. Also his mother was quite a woman as well; a nun living at a monastery in Greece when the Nazis invaded in 1940 or 1941. Supposedly a high-ranking German general came to ask her as a courtesy (since she descended from Princes and Princesses of Battenberg), if there was anything she needed. "You can take your troops out of my country" she replied. Now we know where Philip gets his mouth from.

What interesting stories, both of them!

I have always loved Prince Phillips jokes, I love to see that he retains a sense of humour in a difficult role as husband of the Queen.
After all there are a lot of people who have publicly said far worse than he has in an attempt at humour.

I grew up around maternal influences that lived through the great depression,world wars, changes in civil rights issues, big changes in America. I have read some of the comments Duke Edingburg made about seemingly racial things. I have had some paternal influences with a largely bigoted opinions based on what society accepted in their time, about women as well. You learn your place in their lives in a way of life they know, you cherish the time spent as they age and long after they are gone you cry, you remember when you had different opinions and when you defended minorities of their day in your time. The way they are, never, ever changes. You change, you grow up, you move on, they never really left their day. When someone such as Duke Edingburg cracks a joke, you understand, you either crack a smile or you don't but you understand he's from a different time and he is in your day now sharing his day. I have heard so much bigoted stuff in my life, I know my place and am not oppressed for knowing it, that'll never change. You learn to overlook some things other people say and enjoy the non prejudice we all have now. It is a choice to enjoy it or not.

I am always amazed how people throw out the term political correctness to justify rude and offensive behavior and the belief that people are overreacting to things.

Whats so wrong with not wanting to be called an offensive name and not wanting others to be called likewise names? I think thats called treating people with the same respect that you would like to be afforded.

I am not going to comment on Prince Phillip's words, I think they speak for themselves.

apologies for the quote but I needed to refer to it to aid my thought process. My reply isn't directed at you. I am just a bare few years close to 40. I can appreciate Duke Edingburg jokes because, I didn't get to see those days I always heard about in those decades. Those times dearest to my elders, also,who worked very hard to help bring us all the times we have now. It's a glimpse into the past that brings the generations of today to come to realize how far we have all come in society to today. The jokes bridge the gap of time between the seasoned while the youth does as it always has, gets confused, questions and almost gets cantankerous, giving the aged a way to see just how far they helped everyone to come today while they reminisce. Nothing wrong with that.

I can understand his impatience. As someone who hates being photographed, I get very annoyed when asked to wait for the photographer to get the perfect shot. My eyes move without any control from me, so to get a picture where I'm actually looking at the camera is pretty much impossible. As usual, I give Philip credit for speaking his mind.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Philip was probably thinking he's had his picture taken enough this week. but i do wonder if we would have said it around HM? and if he had... I would guess he to roll her eyes and ignore it - she has seen and heard worse :)

Usual Philip. He got over the top today but I would have expressed my impatience too if I were his age... Just... don't shout at the photographer...:whistling:

I get being impatient, but there was no need to take it out on the photographer who was just doing his job. One can express frustration without being mean. It was also unprofessional.

I have a feeling that if the photographer had talked back, he would have been fired (or not used again).

Last edited:

Still ruling the roost. I've known a few like him. Unpleasant. Yes, he's older (and potentially wasn't feeling well, very real possibility), and for that he gets a pass, but funny? Nope. But understandable given his age and health.

It looks nasty, and probably was for those around having to endure it. :sad: I think Philip's public days are coming to a close.

Last edited:
Prince Philip is an old sea dog. Indeed, the Queen made him Lord High Admiral on his 90th birthday. So one would expect him to have a full repertoire of salty language.

Telling a photographer to “just take the f---ing picture” at the photocall for the Battle of Britain commemoration must be considered mild.

The Duke of Edinburgh has long had a reputation for plain speaking – and a chafing relationship with press photographers.

"I go out of my way to line people up for the photographers," he said, "to make sure everyone in the group is in the picture, to make sure the photographers have got the shot they need… They’re never satisfied."

When the royal couple first visited the White House in 1957, they posed for the photographers on the steps. As they turned to go, one American photographer yelled:

"Hey, just one more!" Clearly the man had overstepped protocol and Prince Philip bristled and barked back: "What do you mean, just one more?"
More: Prince Philip's 60-year war with the photographers - Telegraph

I am sure many of these public engagements may be quite trying for the DOE. He has always been a bit "crusty" to say the least and he has had a goodly dose of picture taking already this week. The man is 94 years old and has had a life time of picture taking and obnoxious intrusions by interviewers and reporters. I would have to say that rude or not, I have to give the man a pass. Who knows how much longer he will be with us and I suspect that he and especially his tongue will be sorely missed. :)

ETA: Where did the "underling" come from? Did HE say that or was it something someone else inferred? Maybe the man was just annoyed by the fact that it seemed to be taking more time than what he thought necessary.

Last edited:
I am sure many of these public engagements may be quite trying for the DOE. He has always been a bit "crusty" to say the least and he has had a goodly dose of picture taking already this week. The man is 94 years old and has had a life time of picture taking and obnoxious intrusions by interviewers and reporters. I would have to say that rude or not, I have to give the man a pass. Who knows how much longer he will be with us and I suspect that he and especially his tongue will be sorely missed. :)

Having had to deal with someone like this in my personal life, I am not amused. :p

ETA: Where did the "underling" come from? Did HE say that or was it something someone else inferred? Maybe the man was just annoyed by the fact that it seemed to be taking more time than what he thought necessary.

That was me characterizing the photographer as an 'underling' in Philip's eyes. A projection, of course. I suspect Philip has a sense of prerogative and thinks he can tell off who he thinks 'deserves' it. Even you supply him with the reasoning why he should get a pass, namely, a 'life time of picture taking and obnoxious intrusions by interviewers and reporters'. But Philip has always been this way. It's hardly a sum effect suddenly tumbling out after a lifetime of admirable restraint. JMO.

My own impatience emerging with such. :cool:

Well, maybe I do give excuses. I have read about his early life. It could not have been easy, being passed around among relatives who probably didn't want to be bothered ... until he finally came to live with his Grandmother. It was war time and this family moved from place to place ... even IF he was "prince". His mother was mentally unstable and there was not a lot of money. He has been called "Phil the Greek" and a Nazi depending on who is doing the name calling. It is no secret that he was talked down to by courtiers in his early courting days and early marriage days. SO, yes, I do give him a pass. I think he developed this persona over a lifetime and things have not always been as easy as people would like to believe. I do have sympathy for him and I think he is a tough old bird because he had to learn to be tough from a very early age in order to survive.

Saying the F... word is nothing compared to what Photographers shout at their victims in other places. Just ask any Hollywood celeb about the disgusting things they shout at them. Looks like tit for tat here.

Saying the F... word is nothing compared to what Photographers shout at their victims in other places. Just ask any Hollywood celeb about the disgusting things they shout at them. Looks like tit for tat here.

Hmmm.....where do you get this information? Just curious. :flowers: Any photographer who shouts out 'disgusting things' would find their livelihood in peril, methinks. Just saying.

Anyway, looks like I've hit a nerve with my pov. There comes a point in life (somewhere around the age of 21 my mother told me) when you can't use excuses anymore for bad behavior. I believed her and live by that. However, I don't mean to sound harsh with Philip. Compassion is a virtue, after all. Yet I would make it clear to my children (who are still very young and would not be impacted) that such behavior, while understandable in someone his age and with his background, still remains not laudable and should not be emulated. Full stop.

Last edited:
Very true. In the William and Kate courting days paparazzi would yell "Sl*t, Wh*re, B*tch" etc to provoke a reaction for a picture. But one has to make a distinction between those "photographers" and the ones doing official pictures like this.

I'm not trying to excuse his behavior, but I don't think there are many who take what he says seriously. Philip is Philip and this is nowhere near the worst he has said.

I think the poster was referring to the paparazzi shouting obscenities more than fashion or news photographer.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Very true. In the William and Kate courting days paparazzi would yell "Sl*t, Wh*re, B*tch" etc to provoke a reaction for a picture. But one has to make a distinction between those "photographers" and the ones doing official pictures like this.

So maybe it's a cultural difference? :ermm: I've never heard such base stuff, either personally when in the vicinity of such or via anecdotes by those who have been. I have a hard time imagining it, in fact. Regardless, I doubt Prince Philip ever had to hear such in all the decades of his public life. Seriously.

Anyway, fact remains, 'tit-for-tat' is a no-win situation. Big time. Accepting that it's okay, and can be excused, goes against the grain with me. Sometimes it's important to make a stand, no matter how much affection one may have for a well-known personage. JMO.

I agree, I've never found it charming. While frankness is admirable, rudeness most certainly isn't.
http://www.theroyalforums.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Yep.

Last edited:
In the days when she was courting Harry Chelsy Davy endured a barrage of those words from paps in order to provoke a reaction.

However, I agree the sort of photographers Prince Philip has encountered all his life are a different breed. Philip has always been master of the salty language and newspapers pounce on it. It's usually dismissed by readers as being typical of him and then forgotten until the next time. Probably the photographer didn't appreciate being sworn at, though.

There are four types of very old people: those who were rude and hateful when younger, and who still are ; those who have become rude and hateful with age; those who were sweet and kind throughout a long life; and rarest of all, those who were mean and rude in their younger years, but who became sweet and kind in old age.

Did I miss any type? It's probably easy for us to think of people of each type. Sometimes people with very hard lives are lovely; sometimes people who have had easy lives are horrid.

Frequently older people who are rude are ignored by many of their younger relations; Philip won't be.

However, I agree the sort of photographers Prince Philip has encountered all his life are a different breed.

Exactly so. :cool: Any photographers Philip has encountered have likely been punctilious in their respect towards him. He has no excuse, no history, that warrants such a disrespectful attitude towards someone not just doing their job, but making Philip's status certain. Like someone once observed, the royals will be on their way out when the photographers no longer care to show up. Philip is nipping at the hand that feeds his status.

Back
Top Bottom