The Wit and Humour of Prince Philip

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That doesn't excuse his racism.

I bet in the old days you would have called for his head. ;)

If we are going to be a free society, we are going to have to put up with people saying things we don't like or agree with. Otherwise, we are not truly free, regardless of our station in life.

That doesn't excuse his racism.

What is racist about making a sly comment about the number of foreign born workers employed at many levels in medical institutions? Anyone with 2 open eyes would see it is simply a fact. Is it racist to comment on facts now? It is so hard to keep up on what is PC and not PC these days.

What is racist about making a sly comment about the number of foreign born workers employed at many levels in medical institutions? Anyone with 2 open eyes would see it is simply a fact. Is it racist to comment on facts now? It is so hard to keep up on what is PC and not PC these days.
Who said I was only referring to his recent comments?

Its not witty, nor is it humorous - but it is predictable.

The majority will not find it racist at all and put it down to "Good old Phil, putting his foot in it". However, if Charles, Andrew or any other royal did this, there would be an outcry.

Why should longevity protect individuals?

And then I made a clear reference and even a link to more stuff he's said.

Last edited:
I didn't know the opinion of those intentionally/unintentionally belittle and insult people of different races is still appreciated as being ''honest.''

Learned something new on this forum I guess.

Its Philip, he's a character from a different time and age. Most people in the UK got used to it and they appreciate that there is still somebody in this oh so politically correct world who dares to speak his mind. Go Philip as long as you can!
'The Philippines must be half-empty - you're all here running the NHS': Gaffe-prone Duke of Edinburgh cracks nurse joke at hospital ceremony | Mail Online

What would have been the response if it had been Prince Charles? Or PRince Andrew?

What would have been the response if it had been Prince Charles? Or PRince Andrew?

Possibly outrage. Its a Philip trademark and the media treats it as such. People expect such gaffes from him or are even disappointed if he only does boring small talk like the Queen etc. Philip is only the consort (HM could never say the stuff he does), he is 91 years old, comes from the totally different world than today. Over the decades, people have anticipated that Philip has done a tremendous job while refusing to give up his personality. He has always been like this and its his prerogative.

No offence to younger posters who are not familiar with Philip and his attitude but he is very popular and respected in the UK despite (or maybe because ;)) of his gaffes and they are not labelled racist or offensive at all but each one added to the gaffe history making use of the opportunity to repeat those of previous years.

Last edited:
Its not witty, nor is it humorous - but it is predictable.

The majority will not find it racist at all and put it down to "Good old Phil, putting his foot in it". However, if Charles, Andrew or any other royal did this, there would be an outcry.

Why should longevity protect individuals?
Prince Philip fought in a war to protect our Freedom of Speech! I doubt there would be an outcry because most people would see common sense. :flowers:

I don't think we even regard them as gaffes.

It is not a good thing, IMO, that remarks are acceptable by one individual and condemned by another. That is, in itself, prejudice.

I say that knowing that I am a hypocrite because I never worried when my Dad said something "outrageous" and that I've never seen Enid Blyton as racist but of her time and I think this is what is hacking me off about this.

The world is rewriting books, films, and lives to make them more PC to meet todays standards than accepting them as "of their time".

I've wandered off again - sorry folks!

The world is rewriting books, films, and lives to make them more PC to meet todays standards than accepting them as "of their time".

I know and it is just plain silly. When I read articles about not being able to teach "The Merchant of Venice" or "Huckleberry Finn" in schools or how Demi Moore wanted to give "The Scarlet Letter" a feminist ending I think we are dumbing down the world.

:previous: You are so right. Political Correctness is an all pervading disease that destroys original thought and brilliant ideas. It kill the hope and suffocates the dream.

Prince Philip is, IMO, totally aware of this and is taking his stand against such cods wallop. Every time he takes one of these little shots I think of a 1980's wall poster "The Last Great Act of Defiance" - which pictures a small mouse looking up and flicking 'the bird' to a giant eagle swooping down on it.

:previous: You are so right. Political Correctness is an all pervading disease that destroys original thought and brilliant ideas. It kill the hope and suffocates the dream.

Prince Philip is, IMO, totally aware of this and is taking his stand against such cods wallop. Every time he takes one of these little shots I think of a 1980's wall poster "The Last Great Act of Defiance" - which pictures a small mouse looking up and flicking 'the bird' to a giant eagle swooping down on it.

That´s so true!No Oscar Wilde or Mark Twain would exist if they had to cope with such extreme PC as we have today.I understand you shouldn´t use words like "******" but some other complaints by the PC-police are just plain ridiculous!
By the way,I also looked up "The Last Great Act of Defiance" and enjoyed the image,it is telling a lot.

In the Norman Parkinson interview with Princess Anne in 1983, towards the end of the interview, he asks her if she speaks "Australian". Anne says "Not strictly speaking, no. I enjoy listening to it, and occasionally pick up the odd word." She then proceeds to tell a funny story she had heard about how last war, there was a general doing the rounds at a hospital and there were some Australian troops. The general comes across a seriously wounded soldier and says to him "You didn't come in here to die." Anne then says in an Australian accent, "No, I came in yesterday!"

Now we know where she gets her sense of humour from!

Last edited:
What a nice gaffe from Prince Philip and a clever observation too!I hope that everyone took it with humour and did not get offended by his witty answer:)
(The Queen asked how much sight the boy had left and he answered:"Not a lot,judging by the tie he is wearing")

Last edited:
Prince Philip asks Polish scientist: 'Did you come here to pick raspberries?' | Cambridge News | Latest News Headlines From Cambridge City & Cambridgeshire | National News By Cambridge News

On his visit to the Medical Research Council’s Laboratory of Molecular Biology (LMB), Prince Philip is reported to have asked a Polish research student: “Did you come here to pick raspberries?”

So funny - not :rolleyes:

Lmao about everything is getting PC. Oh God forbid people don´t want to be ignored, misstreated etc. How very dare they?

:previous: That was such a brilliant moment. The DoE is without a doubt the coolest.

Last edited:
While not all readers would necessarily be familiar with the English expression, Prince Philip is widely known for regularly using what is euphemistically referred to as 'fluent French'.

That man is a national treasure. lmao every time the PC brigade gett snotted at him.

Prince Philip, wit extraordinay married to HM Queen Elizabeth, embodiment of all things correct. Hmm . . . the must have a ball when sharing "did you see/hear that"?

Visiting Terminal Two at Heathrow Airport today:

"If you travel as much as we do, you appreciate the improvements in aircraft design of less noise and more comfort, provided you don't travel in something called economy class, which sounds ghastly".

"If you travel as much as we do, you appreciate the improvements in aircraft design of less noise and more comfort, provided you don't travel in something called economy class, which sounds ghastly".

That's our Philip! :ROFLMAO:

I think this quote was actually from a different day. I think it was when they opened Terminal 5 at Heathrow airport a few years back.

Either way it's still a funny quote. I find it hard to believe he has never flown Economy.

:previous:
Yes, this quote actually dates back to 2002 (or so), if I recall correctly.

Back
Top Bottom