The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-08-2009, 06:40 AM
Heir Apparent

It seems to me that Politically Correct humbug has infiltrated all streams of life. Along came the PC whingers and everyone is supposed to get a humourectomy? I don't think so.

From his reaction to being used as a political tool;
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
In 1967, he was asked to go to Russia to improve diplomatic relations with Britain and the USSR. He said, "Are you bloody mad? The bastards murdered half my family."
I am so glad he wasn't "gobsmacked" but sent a stinging zinger to the hapless thick-head that was gormless enough to inform him of his proposed upcoming service to Queen and Country!

Then to;
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
On being introduced to the chairman of Britain's Channel 4, HRH said, "So YOU'RE responsible for the kind of crap channel 4 produces."
How many ordinary, everday, men-in-the-street would have given their eye teeth to deliver that wee zinger! I know I would.

I look forward to hearing many, many more such witicisms . And the PC brigade can all go get an voctarectomy!

Old 10-10-2009, 03:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Prince Philip Designers Prize — in its 50th year - Times Online

"To work out how to operate a television set, you practically have to make love to the thing".

Old 10-10-2009, 05:13 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia View Post
The Prince Philip Designers Prize — in its 50th year - Times Online

"To work out how to operate a television set, you practically have to make love to the thing".

Pure Prince Phillip, absoluteley love it.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:43 AM
Courtier

I LOVE Prince Philip!
Thanks for posting the link, susan alicia - it made my day!
Old 10-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

lol gotta love him! is the whole interview on Youtube I Belive I Read it was??
Old 10-12-2009, 02:50 AM
Courtier

Sometimes I think HRH is mad, other times I think he is pointing out the obivous that everyone else has missed.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Duke has more common sense in his little finger than most have in their entire bodies. Mad - no, but he has a wicked sense of humour and finds it hard to believe that others have none!
Old 10-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Couldn't have said it better myself! With the advent of the Politically Correct Society whereupon nobody is responsible for anything and, if it's not broke it's obviously not PC, the trade-off was Common Sense which was already on the endangered list.

Thus he can both rightly and righteously rant and rail against the creation of totally incomprehesive gibberish and be labeled either bad or mad for speaking the truth. Yes boys and girls, the truth really is out there!

I think that the Prince Philip is the embodiment of the little boy pointing and yelling out that the Emperor is wearing no clothes. Only his position as the Queen's husband has protected him from being "taken into protective custody" by the welfare state and shipped to Sunnydale Farm for re-education and medication!

Just an aside . . . . has anyone had the mindblowing misfortune to actually encounter somebody with absolutely no sense of humour whatsoever, zip, zero, nada? If they are just "worthy" that's sad but ok. But if they are a pious, pompous, pontificating pratt, well . . . . . what sport there is to be had.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:56 PM
Courtier

The interview with Prince Philip as just sooo good, he's an absolute marvel, and I love him for it
Old 10-27-2009, 08:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

Talking

Prince Philip has put his foot in it again by joking about the name Patel.

It happened at a 400-strong Buckingham Palace reception for British Indians.

As guests lined up to meet him and the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh, 88, looked at the name badge of businessman Atul Patel and said: "There's a lot of your family in tonight."

Read more: Prince's Patel joke gaffe at reception for British Indians | Mail Online

Quote:
A spokesman for Mr Patel, who heads housing agency the LHA-Asra group, confirmed the conversation took place, but said the 47-year-old executive took it as a joke. The spokesman added: "Absolutely no offence was taken at all by Atul. It was taken in a very light-hearted way."
Patel is a common Indian name, with an estimated 670,000 Patels living in Britain.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Prince Philip has put his foot in it again by joking about the name Patel.
Quote:
A spokesman for Mr Patel, who heads housing agency the LHA-Asra group, confirmed the conversation took place, but said the 47-year-old executive took it as a joke. The spokesman added: "Absolutely no offence was taken at all by Atul. It was taken in a very light-hearted way."
Patel is a common Indian name, with an estimated 670,000 Patels living in Britain.
A Smith or Jones by any other name! A pox on the PC Brigade and a big thump on the back to all those with absolutely no sense of humour whatsoever who chocked on their righteous indignation!
Old 10-27-2009, 11:26 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

How nice of Prince Phillip, i am glad the man took it as a joke, it could have been messy otherwise.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Well, if you know something about Philip you also know that there is a very high possibility of a gaffe of him, so...I guess people are now psychologically prepared to them, so can take them as a joke...
Old 10-27-2009, 02:12 PM
Heir Apparent

It says alot about Prince Philip that at an event of 400 influential Indian business figures the only comment he could make to his man was in relation to his name.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Heir Apparent

That is not a funny joke, but rather tactless one. I am sure Prince Philip realises what he does. Had another person made a gaffe in front of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip, the British would have been livid about it. However, everybody should just quietly swallow endless Prince Philip's gaffes.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:27 PM

Go Prince Phillip... classic
Old 10-27-2009, 10:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star View Post
It says alot about Prince Philip that at an event of 400 influential Indian business figures the only comment he could make to his man was in relation to his name.
And you know that this quip was the only comment he made because?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
I am sure Prince Philip realises what he does.
Since he has not been diagnosed with dementia or altzheimers I think you just might be correct?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
. . . . . . However, everybody should just quietly swallow endless Prince Philip's gaffes.
And you know that this spritely and cuttingly witty Octaganarian makes gaffes because?

Gaffe : A clumsy social error; a faux pas: or a social blunder, esp a tactless remark.

Somehow I just can't get my head around the idea that Prince Philip is a gaffe-prone diplomatic landmine. A noted raconteur, he has forgotten more about the social graces than most of us could begin to know.

It is obvious to me that the slightest whiff of humour obviously needs to be ruthlessly stamped out, pummelled to death by the joyless gits of this world! Just as youth is wasted on the young, so too is wit wasted on the witless!

In the words of andre.charadia
Quote:
Go Prince Phillip... classic
Old 10-28-2009, 05:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Patels I know, thought it was hilariously funny, as one said, "we too have a sense of humour". I said reading some of the comments from various places, they are among the few it would seem!
Old 10-28-2009, 07:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
And you know that this quip was the only comment he made because?
According to the various news articles this was the first thing he said to the gentleman in question upon meeting him.

It's sad to know that despite, what is probably, decades of hard work, dedication and sacrifice the first thing one of most senior royals chose to comment upon was this man's name.

It doesn't say much for Philip.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:21 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Philip is Philip, unprecedented in his achievements as consort and, what most representatives are lacking these days, a character. His gaffes may not always be politically correct but they are a well known and respected part of his personality. He's a royal from the old school and I wish todays' royals had only one bit of his charisma and I am not even getting started on his decades of service and heavy workload for Britain to this very day, only six months short of his 89th birthday.

Tags
duke of edinburgh, humor, humour, prince philip