The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-29-2008, 01:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
Some of his quotes:

“If you see a man opening a car door for a woman, it means one of two things: it's either a new woman or a new car!”

“I don't think a prostitute is more moral than a wife, but they are doing the same thing.”

You see, this is why I adore Prince Philip. Furthermore, his second quote is very very true.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:12 AM
Courtier

A small but significant difference here, GT.

What I, as a wife might or might not do, is predicated on love alone, not money, though I'm aware that some troglodytes see marriage as licensed prostitution. If one believes this, then the Duke is right.

He didn't allude, you'll note, to those men who marry or engage with wealthy women for advantage.

I mention this only because I'm fully aware that those sorts of accusations were levelled at Phillip Moutnbatten, himself, when he married the then Princess Elizabeth.

I think, in sum, that's it's more than one of the Duke's most inappropriate comments. I'm not comfortabe in so saying, but that observation does not enhance his persona, in my opinion - if we can trust it's bone fides, that is.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:01 AM
Heir Apparent

(I knew I should have left my other comment in my previous post...)

Look, I'm not going to over-analyze his comments because Philp's statement is upfront; thus there is no room for debate, and in the end what he says is true. Ask any man (though prudes may have a fit), and they'll give it to you straight. There is really no difference: One is paid upfront. The other paid in a different manner. People will deny it, but come one... think about it. Think like a man and you'll see the truth to his comment.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras View Post
There is really no difference: One is paid upfront. The other paid in a different manner. People will deny it, but come one... think about it. Think like a man and you'll see the truth to his comment.
I quite agree with you but think like a man.... I am not that far gone!
Old 03-30-2008, 10:09 AM
Aristocracy

I would say his comment on prostitutes is inappropriate in light of who his wife is. But in essence his comment is true although i am slightly uncomfortable with it but it doesnt mean he doesnt recognize the other roles wives play, as friends, companions, etc. its just that when it comes to it, one is moral bc shes a wife, the other not so much because she is getting paid for it.

by the way, where did you get this quote from, I have never seen it before?
Old 03-30-2008, 11:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise27 View Post
But in essence his comment is true although i am slightly uncomfortable with it but it doesnt mean he doesnt recognize the other roles wives play, as friends, companions, etc. its just that when it comes to it, one is moral because shes a wife, the other not so much because she is getting paid for it.

by the way, where did you get this quote from, I have never seen it before?
Many men who admit to using a prostitute on a regular basis would say that they see the prostitute as a 'friend', someone who listens to their problems and gives them their undivided attention. Just because someone is a wife, it doesn't automatically mean they have morals or are 'good'. One is paid in cash, one is paid in other ways.

I believe the quotes stated are from an article on his gaffs.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

In Prince Philip's case, it could be argued that his wife isn't the one being paid. He was, as far as royalty was concerned, fairly penniless when he married one of the richest heiresses in Europe. He isn't paying her for anything, nor has he ever done.

Mind you, this is the guy who referred to Buckingham Palace as a tied cottage, so I suppose he does have a somewhat unorthodox outlook on life.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:15 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
I suppose he does have a somewhat unorthodox outlook on life.
You can say that again! Prince Philip is absolutely a man of his generation.
And now that you mention it Elspeth, I've always thought that his having literally brought nothing to that marriage might explain his character..his over-assertiveness, roughness and all.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Soooo, I want to make something clear regarding prostitutes and married women as well as those, married and single, who were offended by my comments. The quote below, that I wrote to someone, should do. However, if you have any questions PM me and I will explain in raging detail to you:

Quote:
Do I really believe my statement regarding prostitutes and married women? To an extent, yes. I've been apart of this discussion before, in my Women's Studies class, at university. Surprisingly it was my professor, a woman and a full on Feminist, who noted the similarity throughout the centuries by providing detailed examples, analysis, letters, notes, and so forth. Even during the whole Feminist movement this comparison and acknowledgement, by some women, has been discussed. Of course there will be those who fiercely disagree with my comments and that’s okay. Is there a direct correlation between the two? Depends on the context.

Did I mean to cause an uproar? No. Was it my intent to anger married women? No. However, I do apologize to the married women on TRF's for the offense, and for that I am sorry.

So there you go.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
In Prince Philip's case, it could be argued that his wife isn't the one being paid. He was, as far as royalty was concerned, fairly penniless when he married one of the richest heiresses in Europe. He isn't paying her for anything, nor has he ever done.
True, then again not all prostitutes are female!
Old 04-12-2008, 01:16 PM
Courtier

I love Prince Philip's agile wit. Here's another example. LINK
Quote:
In 1984, John Bulkeley was in San Diego reminiscing with an old British friend, Phillip Mountbatten, whose acquaintance he had made during the invasion of Normandy. In the 1940's, they were both serving as lieutenants in their respective navies, and, as junior officers, they had drunk a few pints of ale together. Forty years later John Bulkeley had become Admiral Bulkeley, and his friend had become Prince Phillip.

After the war, Phillip Mountbatten married Princess Elizabeth, the oldest daughter of King George VI, and, as he had only daughters, she would one day inherit the throne. Upon King George 's death in 1952, Princess Elizabeth became the Queen of England, and because of his wife's position, Phillip was promoted to the rank of a five-star admiral.

On that day in San Diego, Admiral Bulkeley turned to his old friend and quipped "Say, Prince, in World War II you and I were both navy lieutenants, we both married English women, and now you're a five-star admiral and the best I could do was two stars. Where did I go wrong?"

Prince Philip grinned and fired back: "You married the wrong English woman!"
Old 06-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Aristocracy

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Why should Prince Philip be politically correct? Why should any of us? I'm certainly not and bally well proud of it.
I am so SICK of political correctness over here on this side of the pond. If anyone calls anything by its correct name they are crucified if it offends anyone. I am not for being rude or ugly but I should be able to refer to someone as disabled as an adjective without having to be vilified for it. If I were to ask if there was access for a disabled person while checking out a site for a visit I would often be corrected that this person is "differently-abled."

Please! I will use a correct word that is in common usage in the dictionary without censorship (thank you very much). God forbid if anyone here tried to use the word "spastic" to describe someone with CP. I wouldn't use a term that is deliberately offensive or insult someone but I shouldn't be afraid to ever open my mouth because you may not agree with me? Sorry, isn't that why we attempted to come up with "free speech" in the first place?

Of course, having grown up with grandfathers who were about 5 years older that Prince Phillip I'm used to hearing these comments over the years. There are some words they used on a regular basis that I wouldn't repeat in public or private (the n-word is one) but they were still funny and I would defend their right to say what they thought even if I didn't agree with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25 View Post
That was very funny. I like the silly sausage one. I will have to use it one day. I know people use call others doughnuts to mean dumb but I never heard of silly sausage.
Wing-nut is one of my favorites but I'll have to try the silly sausage on my niece. Silly goose is one I use with her now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilla View Post
"Non-European non-sit-down restaurant unit specializing in exotic flavours".

oh, that just made my horrible day at work so much better!!!
kudos
Old 06-17-2008, 08:35 PM
Heir Apparent

I know the Duke of Edinburgh's humor is offensive to some people and I understand why, but I have always found him hilariously funny...I find myself laughing at some comments he makes that I probably SHOULDN'T be laughing at.

I can't think of any other type of Royal male with that type of humor!
Old 07-25-2008, 04:06 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMaharet View Post
How do you know he is ignorant?
Because usually racism and racial slurring is born in large measure from ignorance.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:30 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Because usually racism and racial slurring is born in large measure from ignorance.
Usually, yes, but I don't think that is the case here.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Oh dear, the British sense of humour..... I laugh a lot at what Prince Philip says. He is very funny. I agree that it is a British thing but then most of these sayings were during what he thought was a private conversation. Sometimes he goes too far though I admit. The Dunblane remark really galls me, but the rest I find quite amusing.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:53 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras View Post
(I knew I should have left my other comment in my previous post...)

Look, I'm not going to over-analyze his comments because Philp's statement is upfront; thus there is no room for debate, and in the end what he says is true. Ask any man (though prudes may have a fit), and they'll give it to you straight. There is really no difference: One is paid upfront. The other paid in a different manner. People will deny it, but come one... think about it. Think like a man and you'll see the truth to his comment.

Ah, you are right again -- but I believe the actual old quote was "A wife that doesn't work is the same as a prostitute. They get their bills paid by doing the same thing."
Old 09-20-2008, 01:21 AM
Royal Highness

This isn't an humourous piece on Prince Philip, but Goodness knows it sure sounds like something he would have said:

Philip told PM aides to 'Eff orf | The Sun |News|Royals
ANGRY Prince Philip told Government officials to “f*** off” over their planning for Princess Diana’s funeral, according to a new book.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:59 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incas View Post
This isn't an humourous piece on Prince Philip, but Goodness knows it sure sounds like something he would have said:

Philip told PM aides to 'Eff orf | The Sun |News|Royals
ANGRY Prince Philip told Government officials to “f*** off” over their planning for Princess Diana’s funeral, according to a new book.
Let's get it straight; Prince Philip basically defended his grandsons who the Labour wanted to use as some sort of a poster boys at their own mother's funeral... Well done, Sir!

Quote:
‘F*** off. We are talking about two boys who have lost their mother’.”

The claim is made by Sky
I would say the same thing, honestly. I'm afraid both the Labour ministers and the public, in their attempt to satisfy their grief, had forgotten that the boys had way more reasons to grieve and might have liked to avoid all that circus and mourn their mother in a little more private way.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Gentry

Sir, you are the best

Tags
duke of edinburgh, humor, humour, prince philip