The Wit and Humour of Prince Philip

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C'mon! He's been doing this for years. Who exactly gets upset? How upset do they get? and Who has not invited him back to their country, knowing he's gonna do it?

Well some of the things he has sad are quite offensive for the times.
We don't know how upset people actual get, and usually he does his "gaffs" on home turf, so he has to arrive home.

I don't think he's brave for doing it, he's just speaking his mind and sometimes it is slightly out of line.

He is witty and funny, somtimes sharp and rude. Outspoken and bold. Always creates interest.

I just finished reading "Duke of Hazard: The Wit and Humour of Prince Philip" and I've got to say he is sharp! I can understand why his comments must be offensive to some people but really, at 89 years old I think he is just having fun, as I'm sure he's well aware he's known for his "humor". He's got to know he's got a following for his jokes.

Does anyone watch 'Mock the Week' on BBC2 and Dave in the UK? Quitten they have a section called 'Newsreel' where Hugh has to do a voiceover of a famous person. Quite oftem it's Prince Philip and those are always hilarious. Here's a link to couple of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o60W286cm-E
YouTube - Mock The Week - The Queen and Prince Philip meet with their guests
YouTube - Mock the Week Newsreel Prince Phillip The Queen

I still kll myself laughing now even though i've seen them tens of times.

Omg these videos were hilarious!!!

A while ago he stated that he thinks we Romanians make children to live them to orphanages. :ohmy: It was a lot of anger and disapproval here at that time and I think he was very rude and ignorant.:bang:
I don't care what he has to say anymore after this kind of statment ant it was nor wit nor humour in it.

I don't think he has humor.
I think he's just plain rude and offensive.

I don't think he has humor.
I think he's just plain rude and offensive.

I agree with you on this one.

Then again, I really don't think he has the um... understanding of the world today.'

For example.. my mother's companion was watching tv in the late 90s.. and made a comment.. 'sheeesh.. these ------ get all the shows now" He couldn't understand why we glared at him and walked out.

It was a different era.. and they thought they were better than the others. Phil is still being a prince and a bit above folks... oh yah.. chinks have slit eyes and dagos go wop wop wop.. and romanians give birth to the orphanages the _____________________ (you fill in the blank)

I also do not see humor in Phil's remarks.. just condescending.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can it also be old-age? I mean, he isn't in the spring of his youth anymore

:previous: He has done those comments all his life, don't think it's old-age. Rather the opposite. ;)

I don't understand the reactions - if he finds that Stoke-on-Trent is a ghastly place and says it, then it's just the truth. Like it or not. IMO there's nothing worse than false politeness.

And the way he puts his comments is funny to me, but perhaps not for politically correct people. I for one am glad that there are still a few people with rough edges out there in this oh so polite and respectful world (I wish it was so, but it isn't). Which doesn't mean that I agree with each of Philip's comments, btw, but it's great anyway that there still are 'unconventional thinkers'.

Well ... I hope you will not find yourself in position this man "joke" about the fact that you make babies to let them in orphanage. I really hope that. You will be devastated that someone can think something like that about you and he will say these horrible things in public about you. And all of those people laughed because you know...it's "prince Philip wit and humour".:bang:

Maybe one day you'll actually meet him and get to laugh when he asks you what strip bar you worked at.

My point was exactly that he comes from a different era where it was perfectly normal and correct to do the 'Archie Bunker' remarks. Personally I'd ask the man which brand of 'senior diapers' does he use and tell him they're on the wrong end if he ever said one of his witticisms to me.

There is never an excuse for being rude.

I am always amazed how people throw out the term political correctness to justify rude and offensive behavior and the belief that people are overreacting to things.

Whats so wrong with not wanting to be called an offensive name and not wanting others to be called likewise names? I think thats called treating people with the same respect that you would like to be afforded.

I am not going to comment on Prince Phillip's words, I think they speak for themselves.

Well ... I hope you will not find yourself in position this man "joke" about the fact that you make babies to let them in orphanage. I really hope that. You will be devastated that someone can think something like that about you and he will say these horrible things in public about you. And all of those people laughed because you know...it's "prince Philip wit and humour".:bang:

Please read my post again - nowhere I stated something regarding this particular quote. On the contrary, I said that I don't agree with each of his comments which also means that I DON'T find all of them funny. And believe me, I'm rather sensitive myself when it comes to racist comments, it would be the last thing on earth I'd defend.

I was referring to his comment that he finds Stoke-on-Trent ghastly and this may not be politically correct as many may expect that the Prince says something nice about each city in the world he visits. It may not be polite. But is it really rude? Well, to some obviously, others don't care or take it in good spirit...

I for one would never use the term political correctness to justify rude and offensive behavior. There are certain words (and maybe it is even the tone or a certain bitchy attitude that we have seen here on this forum sometimes as well) that are undoubtedly insults and there's no excuse then.

But I still believe in some cases nowadays people are overreacting indeed.

:previous: He is wonderful. An MP known for her ribald wit reduced to gasping for air.
The astonished spinster, 60, performed a double take then quickly recovered her poise. “I cannot possibly comment and even if I had I could not possibly exhibit them,” she replied.
What a fabulous riposte! Pity the boring PC Bridade will, inevitably strike up their evermore strident tunes.
Those who travelled with the Scottish Tory leader, who is renowned for her witty ripostes and double entendres in the Scottish Parliament chamber, said she was in “fits of laughter” during the car journey.

After recovering from the encounter, she said: “It’s marvellous that humour is alive and well in the Royal Family.”
Terrific, she enjoyed herself and some wowser will, as sure as night turns to day, hold forth on how she is feeling marginalised, victimised and hurt, starting with this joyless git!
A spokesman for Mr Gray said: “We do not comment on the Scottish Tory leader’s underwear
Well of course not you bumbling idiot . . . . . she's a Tory and you are Labour. Isn't it great that Prince Philip is neither! :D

Last edited:
^^^^
Phillip could be a Tory or a Labour support, we just don't know. ;)

POPE'S UK VISIT: Prince Philip asks Annabel Goldie if she's wearing Papal knickers | Mail Online

He is months from his 90th birthday, but the Duke of Edinburgh still has still got it when it comes to a little light flirting.
Yet for him no occasion is complete without a gaffe, and amid the pomp of the Papal visit today the royal managed a 'bloomer' of a particularly risqué nature.
While the Pope greeted other dignitaries at a midday reception, Prince Philip mingled with Scottish political heavyweights Annabel Goldie, the country's Tory leader, and her Labour counterpart Iain Gray, 53.

Ive said it many times before - people may like Philip or not for various reasons but he is a character, what has become terribly rare these days.
People might be gobsmacked at first but quickly realize that they have come across a true "Philip", simply mentioning what others only might think and would never dare to say.

Only people who dont understand his attitude will find him rude - to me he is just honest and very british. I wish some of the younger royals, no matter what country, would only show remotely the Duke's sense of duty and dignity. At 90, his appearance is still impeccable, currently on display during the Pope's State Visit. To me, he is the ultimate consort, together with Sofia of Spain.

Ah the British sense of humour. It is not understood by many people, unless they are British, of course. I think he is hilarious.

"Sense of duty and dignity"... I can see these qualities in ...Queen Elisabeth. Prince Philip seems to me that was pretty bored in his position and he found this mischievous way to "have fun" . He is far away from Queen Sophia IMO.
And I know a few English people who was not amused about a particular PP "joke" and wanted to apologize for this (no needed I have to say because it was not their thoughts or words).

"Sense of duty and dignity"... I can see these qualities in ...Queen Elisabeth. Prince Philip seems to me that was pretty bored in his position and he found this mischievous way to "have fun" . He is far away from Queen Sophia IMO.

I can hardly imagine that a man who, apart from his duty as consort to the busiest monarch around, has been patron of over 800 organisations and still handles his own award programme, is "bored".

To be fair other monarchies dont give the opportunity to get involved that much as the British do not only cover their own country but the Commonwealth etc too, therefore Philip is unprecedented among his peers.

OK. Maybe you're right and he did a hard work for this organisations then why we don't know about them and we know only about his innapropiate various declarations?
IMO there are two explanations : or he he took his role serious and worked hard for these people but all his effort was spoiled by his numerous improper statements and it is a pitty or ... not.
The Brittish people know more about him and therefore they have another perspective but unfortunatelly abroad UK we only heard about his controversial statments not about his work. At least in my country.

OK. Maybe you're right and he did a hard work for this organisations then why we don't know about them and we know only about his innapropiate various declarations?
IMO there are two explanations : or he he took his role serious and worked hard for these people but all his effort was spoiled by his numerous improper statements and it is a pitty or ... not.
The Brittish people know more about him and therefore they have another perspective but unfortunatelly abroad UK we only heard about his controversial statments not about his work. At least in my country.

The latter :)
The British Royals are busy and and there is substance to them, partly because of the vast area they have to cover and their history.
The fact that an almost 90 year old still has an agenda that is not even matched by some of the current heirs to the throne, let alone his younger peers, says it all.
Of course he is perseived as "grumpy" etc and he is famous for his gaffes, but at the same time he is recognized for his service to the country. Many people cannot imagine Elizabeth without Philip by her side.

Unfortunately, the "oddness" or scandals of the BRF distract from what they are actually doing or have done for many years ;)

His award scheme - the Duke of Edinburgh Award - is one of the most impressive awards for young people in the world and for many years he awarded all the gold awards all over the world (of course at the time Roumania was behind the "Iron Curtain" and so when Philip was at his most active the press coverage would have been minor).

He is still the patron of over 800 organisations. These days many of them are more figurehead positions because of his unstinting work for them over the last 60 years.

He still carries out over 400 engagements a year but in the past was way ahead of any other royal, including his daughter.

He has accompanied his wife on all of her foreign tours but would often not only carry out two or three engagements during the day with or without her but he would also often do another one at night.

Philip is nearly 90 and still is working whereas most 89 year olds have been retired for a quarter of a century or more. He has been dedicated to his work for Britain and the Commonwealth since his marriage in 1947.

Maybe you should do some research about his work rather than only comment on his occasional gaffes and realise that to those of us who have followed him for 40+ years in my case - his work has been incredible (as far as any royal actually 'works').

His other major involvement internationally was a Patron of the WWF for years and years and years - a great supporter of protecting the world's endangered species. He is the reason that I have supported that organisation for the last 30 years.

He has been Patron of the Muscular-Dystrophy Campaign since 1966 for instance and is much valued in that role - according to their website.

The following quote comes from the wikipedia article on Philip:

Philip is patron of some 800 organisations, particularly focused on the environment, industry, sport, and education. He served as UK President of the World Wildlife Fund from 1961 to 1982, International President from 1981 and President Emeritus from 1996. He is patron of The Work Foundation, was President of the International Equestrian Federation from 1964 to 1986, and has served as Chancellor of the Universities of Cambridge, Edinburgh, Salford, and Wales.

I have to admit that when the press create another "gaffe" for the edification of the uptight upright citizens to get self-righteously indignant about, it gets me steamed.

The British have a very well defined sense of humour and to be quite honest, in later years, it has been bullied out of the populous by the scourge of political correctness. Prince Philip is one of it's oldest and most effective proponents which, to be honest, is a damned shame and it's past time that those who publically pillory him should be made to present each and every "victim" to testify as to the humiliation and hurt he caused them before they charge off on their high horses knowing full well he can't fight back as publically as they slate him.

Back
Top Bottom