The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-27-2007, 04:26 PM
Gentry

Wow.........I'm surprised that people actually agree with me!

Quote:
Did you realise it is considered non PC to refer to someone as being from the 'older generation'!
Really? How am I supposed to refer to a generation that came before mine then? ^_^

I'm not saying that he hasn't made some stupid comments, because I think he has, though admittedly I tend to laugh at most of them.....whether someone of Asian descent wants to admit it or not, their eyes tend to be rather "slitty" compared to others. Was it impolite? Yeah.......but sometimes I feel like there would be a bit less hostility in the world if people would say what they think/feel instead of bottling it up and harboring secret grudges/dislike, etc......but perhaps that applies more to just my family! Ha!

Diplomats tend to be boring people because they are there to smooth things over and make everyone happy.....Prince Philip is not a diplomat, he is a man from a family raised in another country/culture (other than the one that he is visiting in) albeit a family that is often in the public eye. He is going to be different, his opinions are going to be different, because he is from a different culture. If people don't want to get offended, or be in a situation where they could be offended, then don't continue intermingling the cultures............just like if there is something that you don't like reading, stop reading it! Is it that simple? Heck no! Life is not simple....yet another thing people have to get over!

Quote:
That's my motto too Read this: Mary is contrary in the politically correct year - Telegraph
Thank you for the article! I wonder what Prince Philip would say about this?!

c-ya!

Old 12-27-2007, 04:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Political correctness and cultural sensitivity are not bad concepts.
...unfortunately most prefer to stay ignorant and isolated in their own bubbles.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
I tend to like Prince Philip but even I think the slitty eyed comment was uncalled for.

If Prince Philip and the Queen have a little chat in bed where Philip refers to those slitty eyed Chinese I don't care. If the Queen gets offended then she can deal with it, but for Philip to say something like that where he knows that a Chinese diplomat that he may have to meet may have heard that remark, then I think its uncalled for.
There is a difference between stating a well informed but unpopular opinion and making a snide comment that is totally groundless against someone else.
Dear ysbel,
You have precisely captured the essence of the matter. Usual people expect impeccable behaviour from the members of the Royal houses during official engagements, especially abroad. Furthermore, these members represent their respective countries and are said to contribute to establishing relationships of a various nature (cultural or economic). In light of the said, controversial remarks may undermine work of a particular person from a Royal family during his/her mission abroad.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:13 PM

But do remember that Philip is 86 and it's quite normal for an 86 year old to call the Chinese slitty eyed or to pander to any stereotypes come to that. It may be unacceptable by modern standards but it's an age thing. For example, I have alot of ancient relatives who refer to me as queer - it doesn't bother me, it's generational.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
I have alot of ancient relatives who refer to me as queer - it doesn't bother me, it's generational.
But BeatrixFan, surely they just mean you are 'funny peculiar'! I can remember when being gay, meant you were cheerful or merry, does that make me ancient?
Old 12-27-2007, 08:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
But do remember that Philip is 86 and it's quite normal for an 86 year old to call the Chinese slitty eyed or to pander to any stereotypes come to that. It may be unacceptable by modern standards but it's an age thing. For example, I have alot of ancient relatives who refer to me as queer - it doesn't bother me, it's generational.
I agree...I have an 87 year old grandmother who is equally ignorant in her statements. But she isn't a major public figure...I think that's the point that upsets people.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:57 PM
Gentry

Funny how it used to be asked of the Royal Family to be more "human".................and then people throw a fit when they do things that aren't up to their standards!
Old 12-28-2007, 12:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMaharet View Post
Funny how it used to be asked of the Royal Family to be more "human".................and then people throw a fit when they do things that aren't up to their standards!
Making racist comments doesn't make someone more human in my eyes. Especially when it happens more than once...but we all feel differently...
Old 12-28-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
But BeatrixFan, surely they just mean you are 'funny peculiar'! I can remember when being gay, meant you were cheerful or merry, does that make me ancient?
Yes. Because that means you can listen to a Vera Lynn song and not giggle when she tells us to be gay in the hillsides.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMaharet View Post
When royals offend their subjects or foreign audiences, it is called "showing human side".
Old 12-28-2007, 03:55 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
When royals offend their subjects or foreign audiences, it is called "showing human side".
Has anyone that Prince Philip was actually talking to (or near) reported being offended by his comments?
Old 12-28-2007, 04:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Actually I have not referred to Prince Philip. I happen to think that royal gaffes/controversial comments are usually regarded as an indication that royals have got human side too.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:04 PM

Quote:
"Where did you get that hat?"
To the queen, in 1953, shortly after her coronation
I love this one...
Old 12-28-2007, 07:23 PM

I wonder if he was evoking the old musical hall song of the same name?
Old 12-28-2007, 11:56 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Making racist comments doesn't make someone more human in my eyes. Especially when it happens more than once...but we all feel differently...
Well, making a mistake is being human, so..for someone that isn't racist (and I'm not saying that Prince Philip is) making a racist comment is a mistake....whether they mean it to be racist or not.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:42 AM
Gentry

My dad actually recalls that in 1982, when Queen Elizabeth II came to open the Great Council of Chiefs meeting here in Fiji, the Queen had to ask Prince Phillip to refrain from making any further comments during the time the traditional ceremony of welcome were being accorded. Apparently he had been passing comments during the whole hour long ceremony to the Queen's protocol officer for the ceremony. The protocol officer was also a Fijian and was knighted by the Queen. This became a topic of conversation at the army barracks after the event. My dad was among the officers forming the guard of honour for the occassion. Of course he didnt actually hear the Queen saying that to Prince Phillip, but the protocol officer may have relayed the event to them during the after function.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think he is very funny. He probably says some of things to calm people down. And put everyone at ease.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:42 PM
Aristocracy

Wikipedia has a fantastic list of some of things he's said over the years, offensive and funny. I just like that he sometimes calls his wife "Sausage".
Old 02-04-2008, 11:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

I read the quotes on Wikipedia.. They are so funny. I don't think they are racist. I think he making fun of culture and having fun with stereotypes.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:55 AM
Gentry

O come on people. Prince Phillip isn't all angel you know. Remember he does come from a family background with racist tendencies. Didn't all his sisters marry Nazis?

Tags
duke of edinburgh, humor, humour, prince philip