The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #201  
Old 12-23-2007, 04:07 PM
Al_bina's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: City, Kazakhstan
Posts: 5,805
Viewed as innocent unintentional gaffes, tactless remarks are the last thing one can expect from members of the Royal families. I am sure that the Chinese were not amused at all. I dare say that Prince Philip slightly overindulged in gaffes. It would be better, if Prince Philip shows his innate acerbic wit to his subjects, who will have better appreciation for it.
__________________

__________________
"I never did mind about the little things"
Amanda, "Point of No Return"
Reply With Quote
  #202  
Old 12-23-2007, 08:51 PM
QueenMaharet's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Saline, United States
Posts: 84
Quote:
I don't think he has much wit or humor...just ignorance which is clear from his constant blunders. And the fact is the stuff he says, it's not like people are picking on him. It's just stuff that no one would say unless you have no tact at all.
How do you know he is ignorant?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #203  
Old 12-24-2007, 12:35 PM
zembla's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Camden, United States
Posts: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMaharet View Post
How do you know he is ignorant?
His various bizarre quotes lead me to that...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #204  
Old 12-26-2007, 01:36 PM
QueenMaharet's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Saline, United States
Posts: 84
Such as......................?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #205  
Old 12-26-2007, 03:48 PM
AgnesK's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Wroclaw, Poland
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilla View Post
"Non-European non-sit-down restaurant unit specializing in exotic flavours".
For me "exotic" sounds racists Try again
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #206  
Old 12-26-2007, 04:02 PM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Viewed as innocent unintentional gaffes, tactless remarks are the last thing one can expect from members of the Royal families. I am sure that the Chinese were not amused at all. I dare say that Prince Philip slightly overindulged in gaffes. It would be better, if Prince Philip shows his innate acerbic wit to his subjects, who will have better appreciation for it.
AS Philip was talking to non chinese people when he made his remarks, I wouldn't think they had a major problem. In fact one of our chinese members said she was not offended by the remark.

The problem with Philips comments seem to come, not from the people he was talking to, but by people taking his comments out of context and then 'taking offence' on someone elses behalf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgnesK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilla
"Non-European non-sit-down restaurant unit specializing in exotic flavours".
For me "exotic" sounds racist Try again
Brilliant, just the sort of thing Philip might say!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #207  
Old 12-26-2007, 04:31 PM
Al_bina's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: City, Kazakhstan
Posts: 5,805
Dear Skydragon,
I have just expressed my own opinion. I am not taking offence on the behalf of the Chinese, because the latter knows how to handle the British Royal family in an effective fashion.
If Prince Philip ever happens to visit Japan, he should use his specific sense of humour on the Japanese. It would be interesting to see a reaction.
__________________
"I never did mind about the little things"
Amanda, "Point of No Return"
Reply With Quote
  #208  
Old 12-26-2007, 04:42 PM
AgnesK's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Wroclaw, Poland
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Brilliant, just the sort of thing Philip might say!
Thanks As a white blue-eyed Eastern European I am not offended if somebody calls me "white blue-eyed Eastern European" but maybe I am not enough PC Common sense I'd say.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #209  
Old 12-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Dear Skydragon,
I have just expressed my own opinion. I am not taking offence on the behalf of the Chinese, because the latter knows how to handle the British Royal family in an effective fashion.
If Prince Philip ever happens to visit Japan, he should use his specific sense of humour on the Japanese. It would be interesting to see a reaction.
Albina, it was not a comment on you 'personally' taking offence on behalf of the chinese, but a comment on the media and those that do take offence on something Philip said, to someone else.
----------------------
I'm sure IF Philip said something to me that I found offensive, I would tell him and not the media.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #210  
Old 12-26-2007, 05:33 PM
zembla's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Camden, United States
Posts: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
AS Philip was talking to non chinese people when he made his remarks, I wouldn't think they had a major problem. In fact one of our chinese members said she was not offended by the remark.

The problem with Philips comments seem to come, not from the people he was talking to, but by people taking his comments out of context and then 'taking offence' on someone elses behalf!
Just cause someone makes a racist or rude comment around people it wouldn't directly affect like say the Chinese, it doesn't mean it's ok. That's kind of warped...

I will give Phillip credit for owning up to what he says, it's not like he ever backtracks or makes public apologies...a lot of famous people do that after they get caught up in these controversies and it's never sincere.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #211  
Old 12-26-2007, 10:37 PM
Al_bina's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: City, Kazakhstan
Posts: 5,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Albina, it was not a comment on you 'personally' taking offence on behalf of the chinese, but a comment on the media and those that do take offence on something Philip said, to someone else.
Dear Skydragon,
It has been kind of you to clarify the situation. Current times demand political correctness and cultural sensitivity from public people. So it comes as no surprise that Prince Philip's gaffes tend to cause a barrage of criticism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
I will give Phillip credit for owning up to what he says, it's not like he ever backtracks or makes public apologies...a lot of famous people do that after they get caught up in these controversies and it's never sincere.
You are very right noting that public apologies always sound very hypocritical. I for one assume that no one has ever demanded apologies from Prince Philip due to his age and position. He belongs to the old generation and does not shy away from words considered as culturally insensitive nowadays. Still it is unacceptable for Prince Philip or any other member of royal families, who are deemed to be well-bred and tactful, pass knowingly controversial remarks.
__________________
"I never did mind about the little things"
Amanda, "Point of No Return"
Reply With Quote
  #212  
Old 12-26-2007, 11:43 PM
QueenMaharet's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Saline, United States
Posts: 84
To hell with political correctness! I absolutely hate it, I really do! I'm not allowed to say Merry Christmas to someone for fear of "offending" them. Now, I'm not a cruel person, I am really not, and I don't go out of my way to offend someone, but people should not be discouraged or chastised for saying what they think/being blunt/ making a "controversial" comment. I mean come on! Everyone has different opinions, why do you think we have so many different cultures? So Philip is of the "old generation"............and? Why can't we of the "younger generation" say what we think? (Please keep in mind that I am not saying I agree with everything he has said or done, just that I think political correctness is ridiculous and practically robbing us of free speech and belief.......) I respect that there are different cultures, and I frankly find them fascinating to study, yet political correctness tries to blur the boundaries of the different cultures and make sure that every single person is happy........Happy Holidays instead of "Merry Christmas," Happy Hanukkah," "Happy Kwanzaa" or "Happy Ice Cream and Violin Day" .....and I've gone off on a huge tangent haven't I? *sigh*

I really hate political correctness....................and while people may or may not get offended........at the end of the day, are his comments really such a bad thing? Someone is always going to get offended no matter what you do. That's life. Get over it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #213  
Old 12-27-2007, 12:16 AM
Al_bina's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: City, Kazakhstan
Posts: 5,805
In my personal opinion, political correctness and cultural sensitivity are required during foreign visits. Prince Philip can use his wit and specific sense of humour at home, but gaffes in foreign countries may lead to unfavourable consequences.
__________________
"I never did mind about the little things"
Amanda, "Point of No Return"
Reply With Quote
  #214  
Old 12-27-2007, 03:19 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Arcadia, United States
Posts: 451
I agree with QueenMaharet in general about political correctness. Many times I think Prince Philip gaffes are probably caused by off the cuff statements and often are part due to the fact his sensibilities are those most younger people anyone more that 20 or 25 years younger than he is.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #215  
Old 12-27-2007, 07:47 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMaharet View Post
To hell with political correctness! I absolutely hate it, SNIPPED So Philip is of the "old generation"............and? Why can't we of the "younger generation" say what we think? (Please keep in mind that I am not saying I agree with everything he has said or done, just that I think political correctness is ridiculous and practically robbing us of free speech and belief.......) SNIPPED I really hate political correctness....................and while people may or may not get offended........at the end of the day, are his comments really such a bad thing? Someone is always going to get offended no matter what you do. That's life. Get over it.
I couldn't agree more! Why should 'we' have to change everything we say to accomodate the few who think someone, somewhere might be offended? Did you realise it is considered non PC to refer to someone as being from the 'older generation'! Although not as old as Philip, I don't mind admitting I am one of the older generation and considered by most to be a boring old fart!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #216  
Old 12-27-2007, 01:14 PM
zembla's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Camden, United States
Posts: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMaharet View Post
To hell with political correctness! I absolutely hate it, I really do! I'm not allowed to say Merry Christmas to someone for fear of "offending" them. Now, I'm not a cruel person, I am really not, and I don't go out of my way to offend someone, but people should not be discouraged or chastised for saying what they think/being blunt/ making a "controversial" comment. I mean come on! Everyone has different opinions, why do you think we have so many different cultures? So Philip is of the "old generation"............and? Why can't we of the "younger generation" say what we think? (Please keep in mind that I am not saying I agree with everything he has said or done, just that I think political correctness is ridiculous and practically robbing us of free speech and belief.......) I respect that there are different cultures, and I frankly find them fascinating to study, yet political correctness tries to blur the boundaries of the different cultures and make sure that every single person is happy........Happy Holidays instead of "Merry Christmas," Happy Hanukkah," "Happy Kwanzaa" or "Happy Ice Cream and Violin Day" .....and I've gone off on a huge tangent haven't I? *sigh*

I really hate political correctness....................and while people may or may not get offended........at the end of the day, are his comments really such a bad thing? Someone is always going to get offended no matter what you do. That's life. Get over it.
People can say whatever offensive statements they want...but like with bizarre actions, there will be consequences in some cases. As long as one can deal with them, then go for it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #217  
Old 12-27-2007, 01:56 PM
AgnesK's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Wroclaw, Poland
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMaharet View Post
To hell with political correctness!
That's my motto too Read this: Mary is contrary in the politically correct year - Telegraph
I think that you may like it
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #218  
Old 12-27-2007, 02:53 PM
selrahc4's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I am one of the older generation and considered by most to be a boring old fart!
Ah...c'mon...you're not boring...
__________________
aka Janet on some other forums
Reply With Quote
  #219  
Old 12-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Al_bina's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: City, Kazakhstan
Posts: 5,805
Political correctness and cultural sensitivity are not bad concepts. However, they are severely eroded by certain political figures in stable well-developed European monarchies and republics.
__________________
"I never did mind about the little things"
Amanda, "Point of No Return"
Reply With Quote
  #220  
Old 12-27-2007, 03:47 PM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
I tend to like Prince Philip but even I think the slitty eyed comment was uncalled for.

If Prince Philip and the Queen have a little chat in bed where Philip refers to those slitty eyed Chinese I don't care. If the Queen gets offended then she can deal with it, but for Philip to say something like that where he knows that a Chinese diplomat that he may have to meet may have heard that remark, then I think its uncalled for.

There is a difference between stating a well informed but unpopular opinion and making a snide comment that is totally groundless against someone else.

Oh yes and the Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays mess. I wished a Merry Christmas to someone who told me he was Jewish. I wished him a Happy Hanukah and forgot about it. The whole exchange was no big deal. I didn't feel guilty about saying Merry Christmas and I didn't feel put upon by changing it to Happy Hanukah.
__________________

__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
duke of edinburgh, humor, humour, prince philip


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prince Carl Philip, Picture Thread Part 1 Yennie Prince Carl Philip 85 09-29-2014 08:02 PM
The Protocol Thread BeatrixFan British Royals 67 01-10-2013 06:57 PM
Prince Carl Philip's 18th Birthday; May 13, 1997 Josefine Prince Carl Philip 5 06-14-2011 02:12 AM
Caricatures & Cartoons of the Swedish Royals GrandDuchess Royal House of Sweden 27 03-21-2010 08:28 AM




Popular Tags
abdication belgium birth brussels carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jewellery jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility official visit olympics ottoman pieter van vollenhoven president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess mabel princess margriet princess mary princess mary fashion queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:16 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]