The Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant: June 3, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If the Queen wore white, there's no color anyone could have chosen to not stand out in comparison. However, I noticed from the accompanying pictures that Kate in red actually managed to blend in slightly with the red velvet "thrones" allowing the Queen to better stand out to the crowd! This is just another case of the Daily Fail trying to stir things up.

I thought too that when William, Kate and HM all stood near each other, they were the colors of the Union Jack with Will's blue, HM's bright white and Kate's red. I don't think anyone's outfit or mannerism or actions at any time detracted from the main focus of the Queen.

I'm recording BBCW's coverage and CNN's coverage of the Thanksgiving service tomorrow. BBCW did not have commercial interruptions but when they finished I switched over to CNN to get a little more coverage that was cut off on BBCW.

I agree with you Osipi. The main focus was the Queen. Catherine looked beautiful in that red but all in all I think the Queen was still the center of attention. And yes it was the red, white and blue of the union jack. I have to think it was already known what Catherine would be wearing and if was not appropriate I think she would have been told to wear something else.

Does anyone have a list of the music performed by the orchestra at the end? I heard something that sounds so familiar, mostly strings, and can't place it...

And what about Catherine's brooch? It seemed so small and insignificant: I would have preferred to see something a bit more blingy. HM's diamond starburst brooch was perfection---historic? Must look it up in The Queen's Jewels.

ETA: Oh, never mind, I found a post on Catherine's brooch in our jewels section. It was a gift from the Royal Submarine Service, of which William is commodore in chief, so really most appropriate.

Last edited:
it is was very good i loved when Charles and Camilla were enjoying the sea chantey music

Does anyone have a list of the music performed by the orchestra at the end? I heard something that sounds so familiar, mostly strings, and can't place it...

And what about Catherine's brooch? It seemed so small and insignificant: I would have preferred to see something a bit more blingy. HM's diamond starburst brooch was perfection---historic? Must look it up in The Queen's Jewels.

ETA: Oh, never mind, I found a post on Catherine's brooch in our jewels section. It was a gift from the Royal Submarine Service, of which William is commodore in chief, so really most appropriate.

I assume you mean the music played at the end of the Thames pageant? There was God Save the Queen, Land of Hope and Glory (which in America is used at graduations but in the UK is a kind of unofficial national anthem), Rule Britannia and the sea shanty, The Sailor's Hornpipe (a traditional Royal Navy shanty that sailors would dance a jig to for exercise while on their ships).

The Sailors Hornpipe, Last Night of the Proms - YouTube

Thanks for that clip, EIIR, it was difficult not to get up and do my own jig to the Sailors' Hornpipe!

I re watched this just recently, (as I had recorded it).
The Diamond Jubilee Celebrations were a Brilliant display of British patriotism!
I adored the respect shown to HM QEII, and the rest of the BRF.
Thank you to everyone in the UK for making it a spectacular event and celebrating living history! <3 :britflag: :ausflag:

Support Monarchy @SupportMonarchy · 1h
1.2m people lined the Thames to pay tribute to The Queen in 2012. Meanwhile, republicans had their largest ever protest… of under 100 people

Support Monarchy @SupportMonarchy · 1h
1.2m people lined the Thames to pay tribute to The Queen in 2012. Meanwhile, republicans had their largest ever protest… of under 100 people

No matter how you toss the dice, the numbers will always speak for themselves.

I always get a sense of comfort with these sorts of numbers!

My mother is British, so I was in London during both the Golden and Diamond Jubilee. Two amazing experiences, even though we were soaked in 2012.

Back
Top Bottom