The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-17-2015, 06:26 PM
Courtier

The Sun Newspaper's "Nazi Salute" Publication (and Response) - July 2015

The Sun has published film footage from 1933 where the Queen, the Queen Mother, Edward VIII & Princess Margareth are shown doing the Nazi salute. The headline of the article is very "wittingly" Their Royal Heilnesses. While The Sun stresses the fact that neither of the two Queens had any nazi sympathies I can only imagine the cries of joy when they got their hands on said footage...
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...eilnesses.html

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Old 07-17-2015, 06:58 PM
Royal Highness

Oh my that's very disturbing I can't believe they would do that.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 07-17-2015, 07:06 PM
Heir Apparent

The Queen is blameless. She was just a child but goes to show we dodged a bullet with Edward VIII
Old 07-17-2015, 07:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

The thing to remember is the queen is a child of 7 years old, she wouldn't have an understanding of what this meant or represented. A family member has found it entertaining to teach the children the salute.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:16 PM
Serene Highness

Thank God that ghastly man Edward V111 married a woman unacceptable to this country.. He would have been a TOTAL DISASTER for it, and for his Dynasty...
Old 07-17-2015, 07:35 PM
Royal Highness

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CKJSiSuWwAAXhGW.jpg:large

The Queen has dedicated her life to the UK and the Commonwealth, and she was with her parents, sister and Winston Churchill a symbol of peace during World War II. She was a child when this film was shot, and she is almost 90. This front page is disgusting and it shows how far the UK media is willing to go.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Non-story really. Tabloids in Britain have been on an anti-German kick lately.

Quote:
A Palace source said: "Most people will see these pictures in their proper context and time. This is a family playing and momentarily referencing a gesture many would have seen from contemporary news reels.

"No one at that time had any sense how it would evolve. To imply anything else is misleading and dishonest."

The source added: "The Queen and her family's service and dedication to the welfare of this nation during the war, and the 63 years the Queen has spent building relations between nations and peoples speaks for itself."
Queen 'Nazi salute' film: Palace 'disappointed' at use - BBC News
Old 07-17-2015, 07:36 PM
Royal Highness

General News & Information for Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh

But the Queen Mother was doing it and laughing also I thought she didn't like Edward or was that only later. I'm surprised that it wasn't burnt long ago

Old 07-17-2015, 07:49 PM
Heir Apparent

This looks bad now but remember it was 1933 and years before the war even started. No one had any idea what was coming.

As the Palace stated, the time and context are important.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:50 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
He would have been a TOTAL DISASTER for it, and for his Dynasty...
I agree, he would have been a disaster for the world, the country and the monarchy.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:52 PM
Royal Highness

Watching it again it's actually the queen mother that does it first and teaches the girls

Old 07-17-2015, 07:59 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
This looks bad now but remember it was 1933 and years before the war even started. No one had any idea what was coming.

As the Palace stated, the time and context are important.
I agree with this. We have to keep in mind that the ideals of the Nazi regime along with the charisma of its leader pulled in the support of a whole lot of people with a brand new fresh slant on a good life to come that was very well received.

I would put this video clip in the same category as perhaps mimicking the natives of Hawaii and their hula dances. Some things about people that live far away and the way they do things so differently has always fascinated people.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 07-17-2015, 08:00 PM
Royal Highness

Buckingham Palace 'disappointed' at 1933 footage released by The Sun - Telegraph
Quote:
The Sun newspaper has printed still images from the cine film on its front page on Saturday, with the headline “Their Royal Heilnesses”, which sources close to the Queen described as “misleading and dishonest”.

The Royal Household was particularly angry at the newspaper’s decision to print the 82-year-old images, which have never been seen before, just three weeks after the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh visited the site of the former Nazi concentration camp at Bergen-Belsen in Germany.

A Buckingham Palace spokesman said on Friday night: "It is disappointing that a film, shot eight decades ago and apparently from HM's personal family archive, has been obtained and exploited in this manner.”
The Queen being taught a NAZI SALUTE by Edward VIII in 1933 video | Daily Mail Online

The sick people who comment in the DM comment section will go crazy.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Bernard Donoghue@bernarddonoghue
@victoriaarbiter The England Football team (inc Stanley Matthews) giving nazi salute 1938 in Berlin Olympic stadium

https://twitter.com/bernarddonoghue/...72757338537986
Old 07-17-2015, 08:36 PM
Royal Highness

How would the paper get that footage? It's a family movie so how would it get out I find that more interesting than what their doing. Could be a good story behind that. Who had it, how much did they get for it and have they any other private things. Was it a member of the royal family or staff fallen on hard times. I would love to know.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Seems like they were making fun of the salute. No harm, IMO.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-17-2015, 08:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Hitler was a very new Chancellor in 1933. He had come to power in the February. People often treated the Nazi salute as a joke. My uncle, who is 90, can remember he and his friends imitating the Nazi salute and Hitler's moustache in the early 1930's. The newsreels of the time were admiring rather than otherwise.

It was no doubt Edward who started up this particular game with his very young nieces. His father George V warned him later in the 1930's against making pro-German speeches to ex servicemen's organisations. Edward was a virulent anti-Communist and regarded Fascism as a bulwark against it (like many in the early to mid 1930's.)
Old 07-17-2015, 08:43 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Watching it again it's actually the queen mother that does it first and teaches the girls

I've never been a fan of the manipulative Queen Mother, but she was no nasi sympathizer.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:44 PM
Gentry

I too wonder at how they got ahold of what is obviously a private home movie. And find myself wondering the following things

1.) aren't there certain legal ramifications still on the books in English law about sedition in regards to HM? She is the head of state and no matter how u spin this , this is seditious.

2.) what means was this vide obtained? It has to be illegal. I hope HM prosecutes whoever is behind it

Anyone who ever mutters that QETQM is or was a Nazi sympathizer is so stupid and did not/has not ever read anything about her. She detested Germans and lost brothers in WWI, hitter called her the one of the biggest threats to Germany.

The Sun should be punishable for sedition imo

It's just like attacking queen Frederika For the youth movement in Germany which was compulsory , which is why her parents shipped her out of Germany to school , yet people drudged it up years later only to throw it in her face.

Garbage journalism

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 07-17-2015, 08:58 PM
Royal Highness

Queen Nazi salute film: Palace 'disappointed' at use - BBC News
Quote:
In its editorial column the Sun said it had decided to publish the footage because it was of great public importance and the involvement of Prince Edward gave it "historical significance".

The then Prince of Wales faced numerous accusations of being a Nazi sympathiser and was photographed meeting Hitler in Munich in October 1937.

The newspaper said: "These images have lain hidden for 82 years. We publish them today, knowing they do not reflect badly on our Queen, her late sister or mother in any way.