The Sun Newspaper's "Nazi Salute" Publication (and Response): July 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Queen 'Nazi salute' footage could have been inadvertently released by Palace - Telegraph
A home movie which includes the Queen in an apparent Nazi salute may have been inadvertently released to documentary makers after it first emerged in a Royal exhibition last year, The Telegraph can disclose.

It is believed the controversial scenes that have now emerged may have been accidentally passed on to interested documentary makers, a copy of which then found its way to the Sun.

Many broadcasters are already compiling profiles of the Queen ahead of her becoming the longest reigning monarch in September and turning 90 next year.

If the palace "inadvertantly" released that video, it is even worse. I would have rather have it stolen, bought etc than being mistakenly released!

If the palace "inadvertantly" released that video, it is even worse. I would have rather have it stolen, bought etc than being mistakenly released!

I think the opposite better it was a mistake than someone making money out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I think the opposite better it was a mistake than someone making money out of it.

The fact remains that The Sun did make money off of it and it blatantly was worded and put out there to defame and denigrate and hurt the Queen and her family.

From what I've read there is a doco being made about Phillips sisters who married Nazis. So maybe some how the footage was mixed with that. I'm only guessing from bits and pieces I've read so please don't take it as I know

And there's more to come.

Royals face TV 'Nazi exposure' as palace considers legal action over 'Hitler salute' | Daily Mail Online
Buckingham Palace was last night braced for new embarrassment as turmoil continued over leaked footage showing the Queen performing a Nazi salute as a child.

An explosive Channel 4 documentary is set to reveal details of how Prince Philip's sister met and admired Adolf Hitler, whom she described as a 'charming and seemingly modest man'.

Three of his sisters were married to senior Nazi officers – one a colonel in the SS – and when Philip attended a family funeral in Germany in 1937 he was confronted by crowds giving the Heil Hitler salute. The documentary includes previously unseen extracts from a private memoir in which one sister talks of her early admiration for Hitler.

The Duke of Edinburgh, now 94, served bravely in the Royal Navy during the Second World War and his family's history is no secret. But the Palace will not welcome a fresh focus on his sister's links to the Third Reich while controversy continues over the footage of the Queen.

The image of Queen Elizabeth as an 18-year-old (pictured) in wartime ambulance service uniform is more reflective of her reputation than that of her giving a Nazi salute as a child, some have claimed
Some have claimed? I think most normal people would agree that the image of the Queen as an 18-year-old princess in wartime ambulance service uniform is more reflective of her reputation than that of her giving a Nazi salute as a child.

Mark Almond, professor of modern history at Oxford University, said: 'Opening up aspects of the Queen's early years is not going to damage respect for the monarchy. It can only reinforce her standing with the public.'

Some historians / experts are demanding that the Queen's private archive are made public? It is private and will / should not be made public as long as Her Majesty is alive.

There seems to be a puppet master at work with a hidden agenda. First the leak of an 83 yr old tape and pictures and when HM wasn't vilified and the publics response was in defense of a 7 yr old, then the guns turn to Philips sisters ties to Hitler....polishing up old stones long well known.

There is an agenda here ...the palace had definitely ticked someone off... I wonder if it has anything to do with the incredibly positive recent state visit to Germany. Expect the photos of Harry in his nazi garb to resurface ... Again...anytime now.

There seems to be a puppet master at work with a hidden agenda. First the leak of an 83 yr old tape and pictures and when HM wasn't vilified and the publics response was in defense of a 7 yr old, then the guns turn to Philips sisters ties to Hitler....polishing up old stones long well known.

There is an agenda here ...the palace had definitely ticked someone off... I wonder if it has anything to do with the incredibly positive recent state visit to Germany. Expect the photos of Harry in his nazi garb to resurface ... Again...anytime now.

Yes I was just saying yesterday how it was ironic that it happens right after the trip to Germany.

Last edited:

His sisters doco has been in the works for a while and his sisters did marry Nazis I really don't think the visit to Germany would have anything to do with it

Philip's sisters were Greek Princesses, however. That didn't have anything to do with the BRF. They married before the war, mostly at a very young age, because their home had broken up, their mother was in a psychiatric facility and their father was about to drift off and lead a life of his own.

Philip went into the Royal Navy as a teenager, served with distinction throughout the war and beyond and had nothing to do with Nazism. The British press seem to love dragging up old stories that have been known for decades.

Philip's sisters links with the Nazis has been well known since Elizabeth and Philip married haven't they? I thought that is why none of his sisters attended the wedding in 1947.

I'm guessing the Sun only got the pictures very recently otherwise, IMO, they would have released them just before or during the State visit to Germany to create a real fuss.

I didn't think it would be long before this old news came up. The picture of young Philip at the Hesse family funeral has been knocking around for decades to my certain knowledge, and I saw the picture of one of Philip's sisters (I think from memory Sophie) at a Hitler function, years ago.

It didn't shock me because Princess Alice was a German princess by blood (Battenberg) and there were lots of family links with several of the German royal houses. Many members of these houses hated communism because of the uprisings in Germany in 1919 which deprived them of their titles etc and they felt a resurgent Germany might restore them, at least they hoped it might happen in the early Hitler years.

Last edited:
General News & Information for Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh

It's all over Twitter now - Philip at his sisters funeral surrounded by nazis, his sister at Görings wedding, his sister having Hitler over for lunch, them not invited to the wedding etc... What a coincidence that there apparently is a documentary airing about the subject in just a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
Audio:
Was the Sun right to print pictures of the Queen performing a Nazi salute?

Buckingham Palace says it's considering legal action after the paper published footage of the Queen giving a Nazi salute when she was about 6. It says the private footage had been "exploited" -- and is investigating how documentary makers got hold of the footage.

But the paper's defended the decision, saying it's important 'social history' and the footage needs to be taken in context.

So, what do you think? Was the Sun right to print pictures of the Queen performing a Nazi salute?
BBC Radio 5 live - 5 live Breakfast, Your Call, 20/07/2015

I didn't think it would be long before this old news came up. The picture of young Philip at the Hesse family funeral has been knocking around for decades to my certain knowledge, and I saw the picture of one of Philip's sisters (I think from memory Sophie) at a Hitler function, years ago.

It didn't shock me because Princess Alice was a German princess by blood (Battenberg) and there were lots of family links with several of the German royal houses. Many members of these houses hated communism because of the uprisings in Germany in 1919 which deprived them of their titles etc and they felt a resurgent Germany might restore them, at least they hoped it might happen in the early Hitler years.
I agree with what you are saying Curryong and there were many in the German royal houses who lost family members during the Russian revolution.

Queen is blameless but many aristocrats DID support Nazis by MAX HASTINGS | Daily Mail Online
No sensible person will think even a smidgeon the worse of our own Queen Elizabeth II for her gesture revealed in a film shot 80 years ago, when she was six or seven years old

Buckingham Palace launch hunt for traitor who sold Hitler salute film to The Sun | Daily Mail Online
The footage of the Queen apparently giving a Nazi salute as a child was sold to a tabloid newspaper for a four-figure sum, the Mail has learnt.

It is also understood that the 17-second cine film clip was copied by a researcher with 'access to the royal archives' several years ago.

The anonymous individual chose not to make it public, however, until a few weeks ago, when they approached The Sun.

It is unclear as to whether the seller obtained it from the British Film Institute (BFI), where much of the Royal Family's historical home cine footage is kept, or from the royal archives at Windsor Castle.

Last night, it was also suggested the clip may have been accidentally disclosed with footage used for an exhibition on royal childhoods at Buckingham Palace last year.

The Daily Telegraph reported that a separate section of the home movie, showing Princess Elizabeth and her sister Margaret talking, was featured in the display.

A number of documentary makers then made requests for the footage and it is believed a copy of the entire film, including the salute clip, may have been inadvertently released.

One source told The Times: 'The Royal Archives did not see how it could be exploited'.

Despite reports that the Queen is 'livid' about the leak, the sense in royal circles yesterday was one of utter astonishment that anyone who had worked closely with the elderly monarch would want to 'exploit and embarrass' her.

Royal corgi breeder also gave animals to top Nazis including Hermann Goering | Daily Mail Online

And the purpose with this article is?

I find this ludicrous and insane. Makes me sick.
I have admired HM my whole life. I shall continue.

:bang::bang::bang: Oh good grief. It was not a Nazi salute.

The video clearly shows them waving. Freezing an image so that it can look like something else is just a trick of the tabloid media.

They are waving vigorously at someone then they wave daintily.
(Watch the video, QEQM fingers are moving when her arm is raised.)

The real story is Edward had a close relationship with his brother and nieces.

It was not a case of Edward teaching his nieces the Nazi salute. It shows a very loving Edward in contrast to all the negative stories about him.
Edward has been trashed to death and people will believe anything negative about him. The mud sticks but the mud should be slung at the media for picking up this story.

Watch the entire video not the edited version.

In 20 seconds, the Queen plays with her dogs, get up, waves, lifts her arm high up, drops it down midway and then goes to play with Margaret.

:bang::bang::bang: All this in 20 seconds, yet the Sun wants people to believe the Queen gave the Nazi salute.

Last edited:
Are they trying to say the Corgis are Nazis too? Some one needs to take some Prince George birthday pictures to get this garbage on the pages.

My feeling is - How dare anyone say that about the Queen?

My feeling is - How dare anyone say that about the Queen?

Oh for the times a monarch could yell "off with their head" and send 'em to the Tower eh?

This was done solely for the shock and awful value of one simple word. Nazi. In our day and age that one word has come to denote the most very evil and heinous plagues to ever affect mankind. Although we have looked at the history of the time the film was taken in our discussions here, IMO, the general public will not and that's exactly what The Sun set out to accomplish.

Its always been said that what goes around, comes around and with Rupert Murdoch and The Sun in mind, I'd love to buy karma an energy drink right about now.

Queen 'Nazi salute': British Film Institute works with Buckingham Palace to find source of leak - Telegraph
The leak inquiry over footage of the Queen performing a Nazi salute is focussing on the British Film Institute after it confirmed it has been digitising the Royal family’s home movies.

The BFI began work on the Royal family’s film archive in 2012, with the intention of making some of the material available to the public.

Since then, however, nothing more has been announced by the BFI. The BFI is working closely with Buckingham Palace and the Royal Collection Trust, which looks after the Royal Archive, to establish how the footage came into the possession of The Sun newspaper.

The BBC, ITV, ITN News, Sky and Channel 4 have all said the footage has never been in their possession, suggesting it was leaked rather than being inadvertently handed over to a documentary team.

One of the possibilities being investigated by the BFI is that a former employee may have kept a copy of the footage from 1933, in which seven-year-old Princess Elizabeth, as she then was, Princess Margaret, the Queen Mother and the future Edward VIII all raise their arms in a “Heil Hitler” salute.

Ah, the "TRUTH" comes out. Starting at a very early age Princess Elizabeth and then HM Queen Elizabeth II has for these many years been sheltering NAZI dogs. Oh the outrage, the shame .............. Oh Good Grief, what will they think up next. Gnashing of teeth in the background.

Ah, the "TRUTH" comes out. Starting at a very early age Princess Elizabeth and then HM Queen Elizabeth II has for these many years been sheltering NAZI dogs. Oh the outrage, the shame .............. Oh Good Grief, what will they think up next. Gnashing of teeth in the background.

Good thing they Queen has stopped breeding her dogs....they'd have to be executed.

LaRae

All of this is just ridiculous. Sadly, the shock value sold this, so the dirty rag made a good chunk of change. Some just can't handle the success and popularity of others, so they go and try to bring those people down by any means possible. I'm glad that the public is standing behind Her Majesty. Bet those who instigated are NOT happy about that little bit.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

:bang::bang::bang: Oh good grief. It was not a Nazi salute.

The video clearly shows them waving. Freezing an image so that it can look like something else is just a trick of the tabloid media.

They are waving vigorously at someone then they wave daintily.
(Watch the video, QEQM fingers are moving when her arm is raised.)

The real story is Edward had a close relationship with his brother and nieces.

It was not a case of Edward teaching his nieces the Nazi salute. It shows a very loving Edward in contrast to all the negative stories about him.
Edward has been trashed to death and people will believe anything negative about him. The mud sticks but the mud should be slung at the media for picking up this story.

Watch the entire video not the edited version.

In 20 seconds, the Queen plays with her dogs, get up, waves, lifts her arm high up, drops it down midway and then goes to play with Margaret.

:bang::bang::bang: All this in 20 seconds, yet the Sun wants people to believe the Queen gave the Nazi salute.

It is a Nazi salute the palace isn't denying it pretending it's not doesn't help I too along with millions of other have watched the full clip she was little girl and didn't know what it was about. You do tend to want everyone to see things the way you would like them to be not as they are.

All of this is just ridiculous. Sadly, the shock value sold this, so the dirty rag made a good chunk of change. Some just can't handle the success and popularity of others, so they go and try to bring those people down by any means possible. I'm glad that the public is standing behind Her Majesty. Bet those who instigated are NOT happy about that little bit.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

What do you mean by people can't handle other's success, so they try to bring them down? Those people should look at why we love HM. I'm glad the public are behind HM.
This dirty rag- if that's something newsworthy in your world- not you Daria- the writers- then I don't know what to say.
Enrages me. But I choose to laugh instead. But it is just disgusting. Where is the decency? Where is the shame?
She was 7. I've got news for you. I probably said some unkind things when I was 7. Because I didn't know better. I'm a good person now.

Back
Top Bottom