The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-18-2015, 12:54 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Niraj Tanna ‏@IkonPictures 3h3 hours ago
Many online newspapers seem outraged today. Outraged at the fact The Sun got the scoop. They wouldn't have hesitated for a second.

True, other media outlet would've done the same. They really don't care about the innocence of the video. The scoop is more important to them.
Absolutely. The media would sell their own mothers if it meant they could scoop the competition.

The hypocrisy and self-righteousness of the media never ceases to amaze and disgust me at the same time.

Old 07-18-2015, 02:13 PM
Serene Highness

The Queen Mother's reputation is damaged forever now, no question. It's very unfair IMO as a lot of the British upper classes were sympathetic to the Nazis in the 1930's without having a clue about how evil they were.

Old 07-18-2015, 02:45 PM
Courtier

.. they where clearly making fun of the Nazis AND NOT sympathetic`....
Old 07-18-2015, 02:50 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
The Queen Mother's reputation is damaged forever now, no question. It's very unfair IMO as a lot of the British upper classes were sympathetic to the Nazis in the 1930's without having a clue about how evil they were.
Not really. A lot of the British upper classes, including King George VI himself, supported appeasement before the war, but very few were actually sympathetic to the Nazis. I can't say if they saw the Nazis as "evil", but they were fully aware that the Nazi regime was a dictatorship, which was in turn at odds with the liberal beliefs of most of the British elite.

As far as the King is concerned, what matters is that he acted constitutionally standing by the government in the decision to continue the war against Germany after the fall of France and, moreover, he and his wife became fully engaged in the war effort, even refusing to leave London at the height of the Batrle of Britain in order not to hurt British morale. That is their historic legacy and I don't think that silly Balmoral reel changes anything in that respect.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:56 PM
Courtier

Stepping back from all the specifics, I just feel particularly bad for the Queen with regard to all of this. I know she's accustomed to the media being difficult, but this just seems particularly below the belt. Just the gall of having something like this brought out in such a distorted way, and tying the Queen and her beloved mother to something so horrible, it must be upsetting. I mean, although I first saw the story last night, seeing all the headlines about it when I woke up this morning was just so disheartening. That said, most of the reaction I've seen online from ordinary people I know has very much had a "leave the Queen alone!" attitude.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt
Buckingham Palace has, in the past, pursued @TheSun for breach of copyright.

Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt
Buckingham Palace will now have to decide whether or not to take legal action against @TheSun for breach of copyright or breach of privacy.

Peter Hunt @BBCPeterHunt
Royals still trying to establish how @TheSun got hold of the 30s home movie of two future queens and a future king giving the Nazi salute.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:05 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I get the distinct feeling that all is not going to go well for The Sun. Publishing that video clip/pictures was perhaps the worst move any publication could have made and its going to come back and bite them in the butt. Not only legally but from what I've seen, there's been a massive outrage by the public for this blatant attack on HM and her family. The publishing of that media served absolutely no purpose whatsoever and I believe it was done in pure malice against The Queen and her family.

I'm hoping The Sun will have to close its doors permanently after this fiasco.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 07-18-2015, 05:07 PM
Nobility

There have been some TV programs that discussed Edward VIII ties with Hitler. Here's one program I found on YouTube:

Again the paper should have kept the focus on him. The editors of The Sun went for shock and awe in the headlines, but it came out as shock and awe-ful. If The Sun wasn't gunning for the Queen, why did the headlines have "Their Royal Heilnesses"? Memes are coming out now on social media about the salute. The Sun grossly miscalculated here. As for the footage getting into the hands of the Sun, it sounds like an inside job.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:15 PM
Royal Highness

I wonder how long the The Sun had the images and where fetched? why only now they published them?

This will not affect the image of the Queen. And the cover of The Sun is a huge exaggeration.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:25 PM
Heir Apparent

When I saw the pics I was mildly surprised but than the reaction was just like the majority of the common people: "Pleeease!" She was kid, probably she was even told to raise her arm... And I agree with the palace's statement: look at the context, with hindsight. Besides, the queen's action afterwards speak for themselves... Nothing to add. Hope many will cease to talk about this in order not to make more favours to the newspaper!
Old 07-18-2015, 05:46 PM
Serene Highness

As soon as I saw that photo I knew exactly what they were doing. They being the Queen Mother with hand raised & Prss Elizabeth. It is nothing whatever to do with saluting. Look at the legs. Arms swinging high and taking large steps as you do when stepping out a sort of exercise. NOTHING to do with saluting.
Honestly I hope the Sun get more than black eyes or mud pies for this nonsense.
Also in 1933, weren't the Nazi only just forming then? I don't think the Heil salute came till much later.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Videos:
Former Buckingham Palace Press Secretary Dickie Arbiter has told ITV News that the leaking of archive footage showing the Queen as a young child, giving a Nazi salute in the grounds of Balmoral, is likely to cause anger amongst Palace officials. The footage, obtained and published by 'The Sun' newspaper, is thought to have been filmed in 1933, but Mr Arbiter says its emergence should not be allowed to tarnish the Queen's reputation as she prepares to celebrate her 90th birthday next year-

Home - ITNSource News

The Managing Editor of The Sun newspaper has defended his decision to publish footage showing the Queen mimicking a Nazi salute as a young child. Speaking to ITV News, Stig Abell said the video - believed to have been filmed in the grounds of Balmoral in 1933 - is of genuine public interest and historical significance, and denied claims it represents an attack on Her Majesty. A statement issued by Buckingham Palace earlier today accused the paper of exploiting the Queen's personal family archive-
Home - ITNSource News

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-18-2015, 06:02 PM
Serene Highness

Rupert Murdoch hates Royals. Any and all royals. And therefore to make them look bad He believes sells newspapers. He is vile, and many other things besides.
What I would really love to see in this 21st century is for the media to pull its head in and print truthful stuff not made up rubbish. They can't even get a normal story correct.
Just look at all the rubbish we are subjected to with celebrities.
If only the majority of newspaper & magazine buyers would boycott the most outtrageous publications and get their news from the net instead. Until Editors and Owners Wake UP!!! That we the people won't stand for this sort of nonsense.
I would love for BP to send Murdoch to the poor house. He is not a fit human being to be in a position to influence people through his media.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:06 PM
Heir Apparent

According to the Telegraph, the Palace have opened an investigation into how the Sun obtained the video and whether to take legal action over it.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:18 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
Also in 1933, weren't the Nazi only just forming then? I don't think the Heil salute came till much later.
The NSDAP were active from the early 1920s and part of their (unfortunate) selling point was the salutes and the uniform with connotations of stability and order, as opposed to Weimar republic chaos. By early 1933 Hitler was Chancellor of Germany and had a fairly large amount of power.

(Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, it's a while since I studied this, and it's nearly my bedtime!)
Old 07-18-2015, 07:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
Stepping back from all the specifics, I just feel particularly bad for the Queen with regard to all of this. I know she's accustomed to the media being difficult, but this just seems particularly below the belt. Just the gall of having something like this brought out in such a distorted way, and tying the Queen and her beloved mother to something so horrible, it must be upsetting. I mean, although I first saw the story last night, seeing all the headlines about it when I woke up this morning was just so disheartening. That said, most of the reaction I've seen online from ordinary people I know has very much had a "leave the Queen alone!" attitude.
I so agree ! I don't think it will do her harm as it is so below the belt the people will be revolted.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I get the distinct feeling that all is not going to go well for The Sun. Publishing that video clip/pictures was perhaps the worst move any publication could have made and its going to come back and bite them in the butt. Not only legally but from what I've seen, there's been a massive outrage by the public for this blatant attack on HM and her family. The publishing of that media served absolutely no purpose whatsoever and I believe it was done in pure malice against The Queen and her family.

I'm hoping The Sun will have to close its doors permanently after this fiasco.
I agree that The Sun, which surely thought it had a fantastic scoop with this, is likely going to suffer plenty of backlash for this. They were likely prepared for any legal consequences (tabloids know they're going to get sued, so they prepare), but I, too, am under the the impression that most public anger is directed at The Sun for trying to stir up trouble. Most reaction I've heard, from individuals or other publications, has been quite protective of the Queen. Much of the story at this time seems to revolve around how/why The Sun obtained the video, rather than taking the bait and trying to figure out if the Queen is a Nazi sympathizer or something. So I'm thinking things aren't going quite the way The Sun had planned.

Unfortunately, I doubt The Sun will be closing its doors anytime soon. I think it's been pretty well established that the British tabloids are up to no good, in variety of ways, and yet the News of the World is the only tabloid that actually got shut down (and even then, I believe they just shifted much of the staff over to other publications, including The Sun). I think a lawsuit is about as much punishment as they'll face, but I'd love to be proven wrong.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissP View Post
The NSDAP were active from the early 1920s and part of their (unfortunate) selling point was the salutes and the uniform with connotations of stability and order, as opposed to Weimar republic chaos. By early 1933 Hitler was Chancellor of Germany and had a fairly large amount of power.

(Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, it's a while since I studied this, and it's nearly my bedtime!)

Your right in 1933 he was already doing shocking things to Jews etc there are lots about it on this thread. I don't think saying he wasn't helps. We know the Queen was only a little girl so of course had no idea but the Adults are a different matter.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 07-18-2015, 07:44 PM
Commoner

I feel so horribly for the Queen. It seems to me this has been coming on all week-first Phillip's comments, which are no surprise at any given time (he's a harmless old man with a wicked sense of sarcastic humor) but the media brought attention to it this last week.
Then this.
A part of me feels that with the coming of this September, when the Queen will become the longest reigning monarch, some would like no better than to kill her with a heart attack before that can happen....ruin and humiliate her. It makes me very angry.
I hope those responsible pay a heavy price.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:30 PM
Gentry

They were not mind readers. They had no idea what was going to happen. To criticize someone for their actions before events occur is ludicrous.

As the Sun and other papers fling mud around and hope something sticks, they may want to remember that DM and other papers published pro-Hitler/Nazi articles as late as 1938. The most well known is the 1934 article "Hurrah for Blackshirts". And what about the fact that Britain, USA, Canada and many other countries attended the 1936 Olympics - which could be interpreted as a sign of approval. And the football team in 1938 giving the Nazi salute. These are all events that occurred AFTER this family film.
Context, context, context