The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-21-2015, 11:56 PM
Courtier

This is a storm in a teacup. The Queen was a young child when it happened, she wouldn't have really understood what she was doing.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:12 AM
Royal Highness

The Queen was waving and dancing and raised her arm.

Moonmaiden23 your description of a Nazi salute, is how one raises their hand.
Quote:
the arm at a straight angle, not bent...and the fingers of the saluting hand pressed together.
If some people want to see a Nazi salute rather than a raised hand, it could be because that is what they want to see.

I saw Edward playing with his nieces who were waving and dancing.
I saw the QEQM waving.

I posted a picture of the King George VI with his wife and children playing the game with others in Scotland in 1939.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:22 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
The Queen was waving and dancing and raised her arm.

Moonmaiden23 your description of a Nazi salute, is how one raises their hand.
If some people want to see a Nazi salute rather than a raised hand, it could be because that is what they want to see.
And it could also be said that those wanting to see The Queen wave instead of performing the salute, are seeing what they want to see.

I don't raise my hand to wave at exactly a 45' degree angle, with my fingers enclosed together and my arm straight. Don't know anyone that does.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
And it could also be said that those wanting to see The Queen wave instead of performing the salute, are seeing what they want to see.

I don't raise my hand to wave at exactly a 45' degree angle, with my fingers enclosed together and my arm straight. Don't know anyone that does.

I agree with you , those that want to see a wave are going to extreme lengths to try and convince others. When really if it's not a nazi salute I'm sure the palace would be saying that.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lise View Post
This is a storm in a teacup. The Queen was a young child when it happened, she wouldn't have really understood what she was doing.
And in context, in 1933 the Nazi threat was ill perceived, at best, by most of the world. That salute would come to mean much more in coming decades, right up until today. In 33, Hitler was still very much dancing for control in a divided, disorderly Germany. IMHO.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
I agree with you , those that want to see a wave are going to extreme lengths to try and convince others. When really if it's not a nazi salute I'm sure the palace would be saying that.
The only one alive who could say anything about it is HM, and we know she will never comment. Even if she remembered something so inconsequential from 82 years ago...

"Oh, yes, I remember it well. It was one of our favourite games, prancing about like nazis....good times."

Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-22-2015, 04:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
And in context, in 1933 the Nazi threat was ill perceived, at best, by most of the world. That salute would come to mean much more in coming decades, right up until today. In 33, Hitler was still very much dancing for control in a divided, disorderly Germany. IMHO.
Not really. As I argued before, from March 1933 onwards, Hitler was already pretty much in full control in Germany as the Enabling Act had authorized him to rule by decree bypassing the Reichstag and state governments had been replaced with a unitary state. In fact, by the summer of 1933, when the Balmoral film was shot, all non-Nazi parties in Germany had already been disbanded or outlawed and Germany was already a single-party state.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Which means in 1933 Hitler was just another dictator. Germany wasn't Britain's enemy in '33 and we don't really know the context for the video clip. Given all the laughing and carrying on it seems to me they weren't being very serious about things.

Britain and other western countries in 2015 have diplomatic relations with countries far worse than Nazi Germany in 1933.

A group of U.S. schoolchildren performing the Bellamy salute, May 1942

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellamy_salute#/media/File:Bellamy_salute_1.jpg

I doubt the royals knew the difference between a Roman salute, Bellamy salute or Nazi salute. They all look the same and without WWII and the Holocaust, raising your arm back then just didn't mean what it means today.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:32 AM
Heir Apparent

On Wednesday, The Sun printed an Ipso ruling that said its headline "Queen backs Brexit" was misleading.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:25 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Seems like they were making fun of the salute. No harm, IMO.
My thoughts exactly!
Old 05-20-2016, 10:16 AM
Aristocracy

I'm actually glad the Sun printed this, it's a good to have such unique things on historical record because unless they doctored the footage, it did actually happen.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes It did happen. It hardly was worth all the coverage it got..
Old 09-20-2016, 08:27 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryGirl View Post
I'm actually glad the Sun printed this, it's a good to have such unique things on historical record because unless they doctored the footage, it did actually happen.
Of course it happened. We did the same in America and then thumbed our noses at Hitler and Japan. Why the big deal now.....someone wants to stir the pot. Stupid media who didn't live then and takes things out of contents.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:10 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
Of course it happened. We did the same in America and then thumbed our noses at Hitler and Japan. Why the big deal now.....someone wants to stir the pot. Stupid media who didn't live then and takes things out of contents.
What was going on in Europe at that time of WWII was at the forefront of everyone's minds and words like Hitler, Pearl Harbor, Fat Boy and Little Man and the war effort were topics of the day. Children's games always seemed to reflect the times such as "ring around the rosie" dates back to the London Plague of 1665. Its not surprising that Hitler and his "odd" salute was picked up and mimicked in fun. People love to mimic things. Its everywhere we look when you think about it.

What was nice to see was the family all gathered together and just having fun. They did make too much out of the "Nazi" salute thing though.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:38 AM
Majesty

So very true.

I think in every European country during and also after WWII, people mock-heiled from time to time. (In too many cases only when they dared though...)