The Royal Maundy Service - 2002-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No matter where HM goes year after year and decade after decade, it must still really warm her hearts to see that so many people come out to see her regardless of security precautions and limited viewing.

Not many people can say that happens to them. :)

It's amazing to see the love and support the queen garners :flowers:

Must admit, if not for royals I'd not know about Maundy Thursday. I grew up in catholic school, and I attend church (Ash Wednesday, good Friday and Easter Sunday I attend all) but some how this one I don't remember being told.

What a marvellous example of duty and public service the Queen and Prince Philip are! I'm sure the coins she distributes each year are treasured by the people who receive them, and it's great to see thousands of people came out to greet the royal couple. The Queen seems to be energised and in especially fine spirits lately. The enforced rest over the Christmas period seems to have done her the world of good.

It's amazing to see the love and support the queen garners :flowers:

Must admit, if not for royals I'd not know about Maundy Thursday. I grew up in catholic school, and I attend church (Ash Wednesday, good Friday and Easter Sunday I attend all) but some how this one I don't remember being told.

I grew up Catholic also and we always referred to it as Holy Thursday. We always went to Mass because it is the day the Last Supper is celebrated. Then again, my parents were very devout Catholics and we lived 5 houses away from the church doors so if something was happening at church, we were there. :D

What a marvellous example of duty and public service the Queen and Prince Philip are! I'm sure the coins she distributes each year are treasured by the people who receive them, and it's great to see thousands of people came out to greet the royal couple. The Queen seems to be energised and in especially fine spirits lately. The enforced rest over the Christmas period seems to have done her the world of good.

Its amazing that at almost 91 years old (and Philip pushing 96), this wonderful couple are still going so strong. I think a lot of it lies in the fact that they actually love what they're doing. Its the big difference between having a career or a position and having a calling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its amazing that at almost 91 years old (and Philip pushing 96), this wonderful couple are still going so strong. I think a lot of it lies in the fact that they actually love what they're doing. Its the big difference between having a career or a position and having a calling.

Although, it's down to dedication to duty and service, I agree, they love what they do. I love watching them on official engagements. The Queen and Prince Philip do it with such ease, elegance and grace. I guess that comes with years of practice.

I grew up Catholic also and we always referred to it as Holy Thursday. We always went to Mass because it is the day the Last Supper is celebrated. Then again, my parents were very devout Catholics and we lived 5 houses away from the church doors so if something was happening at church, we were there. :D

May explain it. My Catholic school w actually celebrated Passover. We would have a Passover lunch. The last supper was Jesus celebrating Passover after all. I guess slipped my tired mind that was the same day. We just never used the term.

Although, it's down to dedication to duty and service, I agree, they love what they do. I love watching them on official engagements. The Queen and Prince Philip do it with such ease, elegance and grace. I guess that comes with years of practice.

I doubt that they 'love what they' do much as accept it as their duty.

The Queen has been reported as saying she would like nothing more than to have been the wife of a gentleman farmer and live in the countryside all her life.

Philip would have preferred to remain in the navy and serve there for decades.

Accepting of duty includes making themselves look interested - but every so often we do see HM clearly bored with what she is doing or where she is. However she is a professional and is able to put up a good front for hours at a time as that is her duty.

I've deleted and edited a number of off-topic posts about the Cambridges and Prince Charles. As a reminder, this thread isn't about whether the royals enjoy their duties, or how they behave at engagements. If you wish to discuss those things, please take it to the appropriate thread.

Queen Elizabeth II's first Royal Maundy Service as the Sovereign in 1952.

I wonder if that means there's a chance it will be televised like in 2011. Although it's two months before the wedding rather than a week before like it was then, so I suppose the cameras won't be in place yet.

I hope Prince Philip feel better. I know how it is when the hips go out. You can’t do much.

I do love this service every year. The Queen always looks like she is enjoying herself so much!

Thanks, Iceflower & Dman! :flowers:

A bit different than last year when thousands of people lined the streets to see the Queen in Leicester, despite the fact that she stopped with proper walkabouts in 2013, due to her age.

--------------------

Articles from the BBC and Telegraph:

Maundy Thursday: Queen hands out coins to mark women's vote - BBC News
The Queen has marked Maundy Thursday by giving out commemorative coins to pensioners, as part of a traditional royal service at Windsor Castle.

Ninety-two women and 92 men were presented with the coins, some marking 100 years since women got the right to vote, in recognition of their service to the church and community.
The event, dating back to the 13th Century, was held at St George's Chapel - where Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will be married in May.

At the service, the Queen carried a nosegay made up of daffodils, primroses, stocks, purple statice, freesias, rosemary, thyme and ivy leaves.

The recipients, who were chosen by ministers and members of the clergy, received a red and a white purse.

The red one contained a £5 coin marking four generations of royalty, and a 50p piece commemorating the Representation of the People Act 1918, which gave some women the right to vote for the first time.

The white purse has silver penny pieces which add up to the value of 92p - the Queen's age.

Prince Philip misses Maundy Service with bad hip - Telegraph
he Duke of Edinburgh has missed the annual Maundy Service attended by the Queen because of a problem with his hip, it is understood.

The Duke, who has effectively retired from royal duties, was hoping to join his wife at the centuries-old event being staged this year at St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, where Prince Harry will marry Meghan Markle in May.

But it is understood the 96-year-old duke, who has traditionally accompanied the Queen at the ceremony, took the decision not to take part because he has been experiencing some trouble with his hip.

It is not thought to be a serious issue as the Duke, who was named as a guest in the order of service for the Maundy Thursday event, was spotted driving in Windsor Great Park on Wednesday.

The Queen looks lovely in this coat.

Does anyone know what she says to the Maundy recipients? It it always the same thing? Usually nothing? I have problems trying to read lips on my not so great monitor. Thanks! :flowers:

I loved the setting for this years Royal Maundy Thursday Service at St. George’s Chapel, Windsor,we'll be seeing more of it quite soon!

I noticed. She accompanied The Queen in the car, so I’m guessing she’s a LIW or a fill in.

Did a bit of my own digging and turns out HM appointed 2 new LiW last year, Lady Elizabeth Leeming and Mrs. Simon Rhodes who are Extra Ladies in Waiting.

The Queen appoints two new Ladies-in-Waiting – Royal Central

I suspect the lady is one of those two, I googled and found a pic of a Lady Elizabeth Leeming and doesn't appear to be her so I suspect Mrs Rhodes, who is the daughter-in-law of the Queen's late cousin Margaret Rhodes.

Did a bit of my own digging and turns out HM appointed 2 new LiW last year, Lady Elizabeth Leeming and Mrs. Simon Rhodes who are Extra Ladies in Waiting.

The Queen appoints two new Ladies-in-Waiting – Royal Central

I suspect the lady is one of those two, I googled and found a pic of a Lady Elizabeth Leeming and doesn't appear to be her so I suspect Mrs Rhodes, who is the daughter-in-law of the Queen's late cousin Margaret Rhodes.

Oh okay. Thanks for the update. I took notice of her during the start and ending of the ITN video.

HM looks really happy, it seems that she always enjoys these services.

I hope Philip gets well soon. The weather we have been having here in England has certainly not been spring-like so I wonder if he was absent due to a weather related illness.

Back
Top Bottom