The Royal Maundy Service - 2002-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No pictures of me yet, but i'll keep a look out. I'll be posting the pictures I took on my tumblr so for anyone who would like the link drop me a PM.

It was a truly lovely day and the sunshine came out and actually stayed out. I biggest disappointed was I missed the walkabout she did in Micklegate upon entering York (The Queen had to ask permission to enter the city ;) - pictures on the DM link). She and Beatrice spoke to a few people near the press pit then got in the car and left. Prince Philip attempted to move towards where I was stood but was pulled back by a security guard.

One thing that surprised me was the large crowd of people who seemed to turn up not knowing what was going on, or who they were waiting to see. Also, to my huge surprise when The Queen exited The Minster after the service, she was booed by certain members of the public opposite to where I was stood.

It's odd seeing Beatrice with the Queen on Sky News just now, much like Kate she was being very reverential, careful always to be walking behind HM and the DoE.
Beatrice, as with Zara and now Eugenie, has been following her grandmother from church at Christmas and Easter and playing defacto Lady in Waiting, picking up granny's surplus flowers etc. for years. I think she has the "drill" down pat by now. The only change was that this was an Official Engagement. Same rules, different place.

My personal view was that there was a link/reference as she is Princess Beatrice of York and the ceremony was at York Minster. Seems a very appropriate place as an introduction to an offical royal duty.
Well I never thought of that. I wonder if this is the first time Beatrice has received a bouquet (albeit a posy). I think the grandchildren acting as "ladies in waiting" ( including the males) is a lovely idea.

I took an exact shot just like that! :lol:

I love shots like that of the two of them. It kind of makes you feel that you've stumbled across an intimate moment between them.

- The Queen looked fantastic; I absolutely love the shade of blue.
- Prince Philip looked quite proud of both his wife and Beatrice; like everyone, I just love this picture of the Queen and the Duke.
- Beatrice looked stunning; an understated yet very elegant ensemble. I love her hair and even the hat.

Gallery from Daylife.
Gallery from Getty

Lumutqueen, I am so happy you saw the Queen, Prince Philip and Beatrice up close; must have been quite an exiting experience! :)

Last edited:
They look wonderful. How far Beatrice has come in fashion since the wedding. It was a wake up call she needed. She looked every inch the princess she is!! Good for her! I love Holy Week and Easter. How wonderful these traditions continue. And good for HM for including Princess Beatrice. She and her sister are HRHs and should be included if they want to in official roles and charities if suited for them.

Beatrice, as with Zara and now Eugenie, has been following her grandmother from church at Christmas and Easter and playing defacto Lady in Waiting, picking up granny's surplus flowers etc. for years. I think she has the "drill" down pat by now. The only change was that this was an Official Engagement. Same rules, different place.

Yes, I know. But there are always lots of other royals around, since they generally walk in order of seniority, you don't usually see Beatrice walking so close to the Queen. It was just strange to see the Queen and DoE and then Beatrice, with no other royals there.

Beatrice...what a wonderful surprise. She looks every inch a Royal Princess. Love the whole look, but the hat is wonderful. I also like the light hand with the blue eyeshadow. She looks splendid.

Bea's hair is beautiful, it is such a lovely colour. The three of them look lovely and it's great to see Bea attend with her grandparents. It looks odd seeing Bea without the other Royals, but it's lovely to see. The Queen looks ever so cheerful, doesn't she? On the Daily Mail website there is a video available and it shows Bea signing the book after the Queen and Philip lifts the bouquet of flowers off the table and holds them. Made me chuckle.

I always love it when Bea and Eugenie help the Queen at Christmas gather her flowers, and it was lovely to see Louise help out. It's lovely to see the grand-daughters with their granny.

I look forward to many more occasions when the grandkids attend ceremonies with their grandparents.

How great you were there to see all this, Lumut! And what a wonderful occasion to see Beatrice at, looking every bit the royal princess. I really like the family members taking part on these outings with HM. The Queen and Philip look extremely happy and just seem so exuberant on these public engagements; so sweet to see that private, intimate look between them.

Last edited:
Is so so sweet see the queen with her grandahther. bea Is a very beautiful young royal lady. she really look and andrew but with sarah hair.

I love the fact that Prince Philip got a posey as well . . . he looked so, ah, comfortable and at ease whilst carrying it! :D

How lovely that the Queen was accompanied by Beatrice ( who looks wonderful). Is there a particular reason for her accompanying the Queen on this occasion?

The Queen wants to include as many of her family members as possible in the events of this year.

As well as that The Queen was born 'HRH Princess Elizabeth of YORK' the eldest daughter of the Duke of York. Beatrice is HRH Princess Beatriceof YORK the eldest daughter of the Duke of York. This ceremony was held in YORK. So joining the dots it seems that taking a princess of York to York to accompany another lady who was also a princess of York makes some sort of circular sense. Beatrice will, afterall live the life The Queen was expected to live had Edward VIII not abdicated but if he had married an appropriate woman and had children.

Reactions: ada
How lovely that the Queen was accompanied by Beatrice ( who looks wonderful). Is there a particular reason for her accompanying the Queen on this occasion?

I guess because she is Princess Beatrice "of York" and the service took place there.

Beatrice looked stunning!. She has really done herself proud. I'm happy for her, because she appears to be a really nice girl and she is pretty - but she typically gets a lot of static for her fashion choices, and that can't be easy to take. Todays efforts far exceed what we generally see from her, and it's nice that her efforts have not gone unnoticed.

Beatrice has gotten it right a number of times over the last year and the times when she has has been when she has worn a solid colour instead of a mix of colours and also when she limits or excludes the frills.

Iluvbertie said:
Beatrice has gotten it right a number of times over the last year and the times when she has has been when she has worn a solid colour instead of a mix of colours and also when she limits or excludes the frills.

Agreed, keeping it simple suits her!
You're right when you say she has got it right a number of times over the last year. Am I remembering correctly that she has hired a stylist in the past year?? If I did, than it payed dividends today IMO.

Queen to visit Oxford:
THE Queen will visit Oxford to hand out Maundy Money to pensioners from Oxfordshire, Berkshire and Buckinghamshire.
Every year the Queen visits a UK cathedral or abbey to give out Maundy coins to elderly people in recognition of their service to their community and church.
This year’s visit, on Thursday, March 28, will be the first time she has visited Christ Church Cathedral in Oxford for the annual ceremony.
http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/10199560.Queen_to_visit_Oxford/

Is there any news off any other Royals accompanying the Queen & Duke at the Maundy ceremony today? Sad to see that the BBC no longer transmit the service

Is there any news off any other Royals accompanying the Queen & Duke at the Maundy ceremony today? Sad to see that the BBC no longer transmit the service

the Royal website just mentions the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh

Back
Top Bottom