The Royal Maundy Service - 2002-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's nothing concerning. The Queen is simply being reasonable and accept her age and human condition. HM doesn't have long for this mortal coil regardless of health. There's also no need for an official regency yet even tho we have a de facto one. HM is still able to meet her constitutional requirements and understands the importance of the official image of the monarch being her while she is capable. HM has dedicated her entire life, she deserves to slow down to the bare minimum. As long as she can do the boxes, make her Christmas speech, and be visible in her own way than she is doing enough.

Yes, that's quite worrying. It's at Windsor, so it's not as if any travel would have been involved, so it's quite concerning that the Queen doesn't feel up to going. Hopefully it's concern about the walking and standing rather than actual ill health.
I´m not sure. I don´t think this is a hint of an acute illness or something. It´s just that this particular event is a very standing-and-walking one. And we all know the Queen has some serious mobility problems.

At the royal Maundy Service Her Majesty hands out Maundy coins (would be 96 coins marking her age this year) while walking down a row of people receiving the medals from Her hands. I think everyone can imagine that times when The Queen was able to perform this duty are well and truly over...

What does "give clarity to those involved" mean exactly? Has the Queen decided it is time for the Regency Act to be officially invoked?

I suggest that anyone who feels like replying do so in the "Will the Queen consider abdication or retirement?" forum.

There’s a printed order of service. Making the announcement now means that it will show Charles and Camilla’s names, rather than the awkwardness of it showing that the Queen will be there and then it being announced that she’s not going. That’s all. There is no suggestion at present that there’s going to be a regency. The announcement just relates to this one event. If anything more’s planned, it surely won’t be until after the Platinum Jubilee events.

It's possible that the Queen will listen the Mass online.

It will be very strange not to have the queen at the Maundy Thursday Service but thankfully its still going ahead.

One of the bizarre things about the Maundy service is that it gets more physically taxing as the monarch ages. The presentation of coins took half an hour at the 2011 service, and 22 pensioners have been added since then. I suspect this event in particular would have seen changes (in attendance or format) around this time even if it wasn't for the Queen's recent health issues. It was already being held at Windsor much more frequently since 2016, rather than traveling the country.

Last edited:
The Royal Maundy Service in presence of the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall today, April 14:

Here's a video from the Maundy Thursday Service

The Prince handed out the Maundy coins

The Queen won't be going to church on Easter Sunday either. I hope she's OK. It's the first Easter without Prince Philip, and just after the anniversary of his death, and she does seem to be having increasing mobility problems.

I like the arrangement of the purple, yellow, and white flowers in the bouquets at the Royal Maundy Service.

This thread is closed. You can find the new thread here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom