The Royal Maundy Service - 2002-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It has been reported he was absent due to issues with his hip.

I hope Prince Philip is feeling better and is able to join the Queen and other members of the family for the Easter service.

I hope Prince Philip is feeling better and is able to join the Queen and other members of the family for the Easter service.

Sadly, he wasn’t able to. But the Cambridge’s and other members of the family are there.

Can’t wait to watch Her Majesty arriving/leaving the Easter church service along with the Royal Family. She is always so splendid & dignified.

This is a nice service showing a happy King George VI and Queen Consort Elizabeth. I like how the little girls hold their bouquets near Queen Elizabeth.

Lovely to see Princess Eugenie at the Maundy Service . Hopefully she and her sister will be increasingly seen at public royal events in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
HM The Queen and HRH Princess Eugenie attend the annual Maundy Thurday Service.

The Royal Maundy Service - All Years

It’s lovely to see Eugenie on an engagement with her grandmother.

Last edited:
Disappointed not to see a bigger turnout from the rest of the RF (in previous years Beatrice and the Wessexes have attended), but it's lovely to see Eugenie on an engagement with her grandmother.

When did The Wessexes attend?

The only time I can remember Beatrice attending was when the Queen was in York and I can’t remember the Wessexes at all. Prince Philip was usually always there, but other than that I don’t think the other royals do this event.

It seems Hereditary Princess (understandably) muddled this with Sunday's service which a larger contingent of the family attend. If I remember right Beatrice attended when it was in York. Interesting that Eugenie attended as HM has done this solo in the past (since Philip retired) so clearly feels able to do it alone. Maybe as Eugenie it was at Windsor and local to Royal Lodge, Eugenie was ask/invited.

How nice of Eugenie to accompany her grandmother. I am sure that was appreciated.

Court Circular 18th April:
The Queen, accompanied by Princess Eugenie, this morning attended the Maundy Service in St George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle, at which Her Majesty distributed the Royal Maundy.

The Queen and Her Royal Highness were received at the North Door of the Chapel by the Dean of Windsor (the Right Reverend David Conner).

The Right Reverend Dr John Inge (Lord High Almoner) and the Reverend Canon Paul Wright (Sub-Almoner) were present.

The Queen’s Body Guard of the Yeomen of the Guard and the Military Knights of Windsor were on duty.

Her Majesty and Her Royal Highness this afternoon joined representatives of the Chapel and the Royal Almonry at a Reception in the Deanery.

Once again no Royal Maundy Service this year:

“I hope this Maundy Gift will remind you for years to come that your efforts have been truly appreciated.”

Since the Royal Maundy Service cannot go ahead this year, The Queen has written to 190 recipients, who have received their traditional purses in the post.

This year, the coins commemorate Her Majesty’s 95th Birthday, and the 50th anniversary of Decimal Day

** The Queen's Letter ** Royal Family Tweet **

A very special honour for those 190 recipients in recognition of their Christian service.

The Sub-Dean of Her Majesty's Chapel Royal discusses the Royal Maundy history and traditions from the chapel Royal at St James Palace.

Last edited:
The Royal Collection Trust has released images of silver-gilt dish of the Last Supper, which is marked by Maundy Thursday. This dish/plate was made during Charles II's reign and placed in the alter Royal Chapel on the high days of Christian worship including Easter Sunday.
@royalcollectiontrust Verified
Maundy Thursday marks the Last Supper; when Jesus washed the feet of the disciples in an act of charity before sharing a meal with them. The narrative of the moment during the Supper when Jesus announced that one of his disciples would betray him has provided a rich seam of inspiration for artists in every medium.

This silver-gilt dish shows a version of the scene. The disciples react with shock, although the dog continues to pick up scraps from the floor. The dish, created during the reign of Charles II, remains in use in the Royal Chapel and is placed on the altar on the high days of Christian worship, including Easter Sunday.

#maundythursday #easter #lastsupper #jesus #disciples #silvergilt #charlesII #royalchapel
4h​
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNITAfjBZig/

The Royal Collection Trust has released images of silver-gilt dish of the Last Supper, which is marked by Maundy Thursday. This dish/plate was made during Charles II's reign and placed in the alter Royal Chapel on the high days of Christian worship including Easter Sunday.
@royalcollectiontrust Verified
Maundy Thursday marks the Last Supper; when Jesus washed the feet of the disciples in an act of charity before sharing a meal with them. The narrative of the moment during the Supper when Jesus announced that one of his disciples would betray him has provided a rich seam of inspiration for artists in every medium.

This silver-gilt dish shows a version of the scene. The disciples react with shock, although the dog continues to pick up scraps from the floor. The dish, created during the reign of Charles II, remains in use in the Royal Chapel and is placed on the altar on the high days of Christian worship, including Easter Sunday.

#maundythursday #easter #lastsupper #jesus #disciples #silvergilt #charlesII #royalchapel
4h​
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNITAfjBZig/
Very interesting and I assumed they were Victorian only to discover they were made during the reign of Charles II.

It was announced today that the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall will represent Queen Elizabeth at the Royal Maundy service this year (April 14, 2022):

** Announcement **

Yes, that's quite worrying. It's at Windsor, so it's not as if any travel would have been involved, so it's quite concerning that the Queen doesn't feel up to going. Hopefully it's concern about the walking and standing rather than actual ill health.

Yes that is really woprrying and a look into the next reign. Not sure buti thjin k i read a Twetter Post by one of the British Royal reporters that HM has decided it now to give clarity for those involved.

Yes that is really woprrying and a look into the next reign. Not sure buti thjin k i read a Twetter Post by one of the British Royal reporters that HM has decided it now to give clarity for those involved.

What does "give clarity to those involved" mean exactly? Has the Queen decided it is time for the Regency Act to be officially invoked?

I suggest that anyone who feels like replying do so in the "Will the Queen consider abdication or retirement?" forum.

What does "give clarity to those involved" mean exactly? Has the Queen decided it is time for the Regency Act to be officially invoked?

I suggest that anyone who feels like replying do so in the "Will the Queen consider abdication or retirement?" forum.
Reporter Chris Ship wrote on Twitter that Queen Elizabeth doesn't want to overshadow the service by pulling out on the same day.

What does "give clarity to those involved" mean exactly?
As far as i understand claritiy that she will not attend the Maundy Serivice instead of letting it open until the day itself like with the Memorial Service

Back
Top Bottom