The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-13-2017, 10:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

Videos:
Her Majesty The Queen and His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh attends Royal Maundy Service at Leicester Cathedral 2017-
http://itnsourcenews.com/?SearchTerm...er%20Cathedral

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-13-2017, 11:15 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
Something from the past: The Queen at Westminster Abbey on Maundy Thursday 1952, the first public engagement of her reign.

https://scontent.fath4-1.fna.fbcdn.n...70&oe=5983C218
What a nice blast from the past of a young Queen doing what she is still doing today. Its amazing to realize that photos from then always were black and white.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

Here are the first pics of this year's Royal Maundy Service at Leicester Cathedral today, April 13:

** gettyimages gallery ** zimbio gallery **

** dailymail: The Queen hands out a traditional Maundy Thursday coin for each of her 91 years..**

Nice to see that so many people were out to see our beloved Queen, but I don't understand why they bothered, because they hardly get to see her anyway.

Had it not been for her age and security, then she could have used the queenmobile (as she used to do), but it's nice that she vent on a small walkabout (very rare nowadays) to receive some flowers.

Queen hands out Maundy coins in Leicester - BBC News

Article from the Telegraph:
Smiling Queen charms Maundy Money recipients at Leicester Cathedral
Quote:
The Queen has marked Maundy Thursday by handing out Maundy Money - a tradition dating back to the 13th century.

Accompanied by the Duke Of Edinburgh, she was in high spirits as she distributed coins to 91 men and 91 women at Leicester Cathedral.

Hundreds of well-wishers lined the route from Leicester station to the cathedral - where the last Plantagenet king, Richard III, is buried - in a bid to catch a glimpse of the royal visitors.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Videos from people who filmed HM in Leicester:

Old 04-13-2017, 01:48 PM
Majesty

No matter where HM goes year after year and decade after decade, it must still really warm her hearts to see that so many people come out to see her regardless of security precautions and limited viewing.

Not many people can say that happens to them.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree! And she has said on several occasions that she is overwhelmed by the support and kindness she receives.

Here's a video of HM and Philip leaving Leicester by helicopter:
Old 04-13-2017, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Queen and Duke attend the Royal Maundy Service at Leicester Cathedral Church of St Martin today.

Old 04-13-2017, 04:29 PM
Heir Apparent

LeicesterCityCouncil‏ @Leicester_News
We estimate about 16,000 of you lined the streets to welcome the Queen to our city today. We hope you enjoyed your trip, Ma'am! #RoyalMaundy

https://twitter.com/Leicester_News/s...21901700395008
Old 04-13-2017, 07:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

More of the Queen's amazing visit to Leicester:

Video of the Queen arriving at Leicester station:
Watch the moment The Queen and Prince Philip arrived in Leicester | Leicester Mercury

Video: (This is just part of the crowds)
Watch The Queen travel through Leicester city centre in royal cavalcade | Leicester Mercury

Video with pictures of the Queen's previous visits to Leicester:
What's the Queen having for lunch during her visit to Leicester? | Leicester Mercury
Old 04-13-2017, 09:21 PM
Heir Apparent

It's amazing to see the love and support the queen garners

Must admit, if not for royals I'd not know about Maundy Thursday. I grew up in catholic school, and I attend church (Ash Wednesday, good Friday and Easter Sunday I attend all) but some how this one I don't remember being told.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:23 PM
Heir Apparent

What a marvellous example of duty and public service the Queen and Prince Philip are! I'm sure the coins she distributes each year are treasured by the people who receive them, and it's great to see thousands of people came out to greet the royal couple. The Queen seems to be energised and in especially fine spirits lately. The enforced rest over the Christmas period seems to have done her the world of good.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:58 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
It's amazing to see the love and support the queen garners

Must admit, if not for royals I'd not know about Maundy Thursday. I grew up in catholic school, and I attend church (Ash Wednesday, good Friday and Easter Sunday I attend all) but some how this one I don't remember being told.
I grew up Catholic also and we always referred to it as Holy Thursday. We always went to Mass because it is the day the Last Supper is celebrated. Then again, my parents were very devout Catholics and we lived 5 houses away from the church doors so if something was happening at church, we were there.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:01 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
What a marvellous example of duty and public service the Queen and Prince Philip are! I'm sure the coins she distributes each year are treasured by the people who receive them, and it's great to see thousands of people came out to greet the royal couple. The Queen seems to be energised and in especially fine spirits lately. The enforced rest over the Christmas period seems to have done her the world of good.
Its amazing that at almost 91 years old (and Philip pushing 96), this wonderful couple are still going so strong. I think a lot of it lies in the fact that they actually love what they're doing. Its the big difference between having a career or a position and having a calling.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Its amazing that at almost 91 years old (and Philip pushing 96), this wonderful couple are still going so strong. I think a lot of it lies in the fact that they actually love what they're doing. Its the big difference between having a career or a position and having a calling.
Although, it's down to dedication to duty and service, I agree, they love what they do. I love watching them on official engagements. The Queen and Prince Philip do it with such ease, elegance and grace. I guess that comes with years of practice.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-14-2017, 12:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I grew up Catholic also and we always referred to it as Holy Thursday. We always went to Mass because it is the day the Last Supper is celebrated. Then again, my parents were very devout Catholics and we lived 5 houses away from the church doors so if something was happening at church, we were there.
May explain it. My Catholic school w actually celebrated Passover. We would have a Passover lunch. The last supper was Jesus celebrating Passover after all. I guess slipped my tired mind that was the same day. We just never used the term.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Although, it's down to dedication to duty and service, I agree, they love what they do. I love watching them on official engagements. The Queen and Prince Philip do it with such ease, elegance and grace. I guess that comes with years of practice.
I doubt that they 'love what they' do much as accept it as their duty.

The Queen has been reported as saying she would like nothing more than to have been the wife of a gentleman farmer and live in the countryside all her life.

Philip would have preferred to remain in the navy and serve there for decades.

Accepting of duty includes making themselves look interested - but every so often we do see HM clearly bored with what she is doing or where she is. However she is a professional and is able to put up a good front for hours at a time as that is her duty.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The Queen has been reported as saying she would like nothing more than to have been the wife of a gentleman farmer and live in the countryside all her life.
It has also been reported several times that she enjoys being the Queen.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I've deleted and edited a number of off-topic posts about the Cambridges and Prince Charles. As a reminder, this thread isn't about whether the royals enjoy their duties, or how they behave at engagements. If you wish to discuss those things, please take it to the appropriate thread.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

Another video from the Queen's visit to Leicester: (See how close the crowds is to the car)

Tags
armagh, duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, maundy, maundy service, northern ireland, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii, royal traditions