The Queen's Weekly Journey to Windsor

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark O

Commoner
City
Canvey Island
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, bearing in mind Her Majesty's security is of the upmost importance, I was wondering does the Queen travel every week (I presume Friday afternoon) from Buckingham Palace to Windsor Castle by the same route (the most direct along the A4 Cromwell Road, Hammersith flyover, then onto the M4 via the Chiswick Hogarth roundabout) or are journeys altered, mode of transport changed, etc?......what would happen if there was a blockage on the elevated section of the M4 for example?

The Queen travels in a motorcade, with outriders ahead and behind. Police are stationed all along the proposed route and modern communication means that changes to the plan can be quickly made at any time in the event of any untoward incident. Traffic at road junctions is held back as her car approaches and does not flow again until she has passed.

HM does not necessarily go to Windsor every weekend - the Castle is open to the public at weekends and I'm sure she doesn't need people trampling around the palace while she is there. Where she spends any particular weekend depends upon her diary .....

She does indeed go every weekend. Bear in mind that all the Royal residences only have the 'facade' showing. The real Royal living quarters are well away from the great unwashed.

I remember reading once that she was driving herself around Windsor and got stuck in the jam caused by Princess Michael's large security presence. She wasn't amused...

It's amazing to see the differences between her motorcades in the UK (small), Canada (large but friendly) and, for instance, the US (large, imposing, and dark).

Does she a valid drivers license?

I was going to say no, as I thought it was like her passport, but according to the Royal website, she does.

The Monarchy Today > Ceremony and symbol > Transport > Cars

For her private use The Queen drives a Daimler Jaguar saloon or a Vauxhall estate. Like every other qualified driver, The Queen holds a driving licence.

However, a page on royal insight makes it less clear.

Royal Insight > March 2003 > Mailbox > Page 4

Although The Queen does not require a driving licence by law, she learned to drive in 1945, while still Princess Elizabeth, as a member of the Auxiliary Territorial Service. She would have required a licence at this time, since she was not the Sovereign and would therefore have been required to hold a driving licence under the existing acts of that time.

Last edited:
Does she a valid drivers license?

I remember reading somewhere that she doesn't hold a drivers licence although the Queen does know how to drive. The Queen learned to drive at age 19 during WW 2. The reason given was she doesn't have to have one because she's the Sovereign. I believe that it was on royal insight a question someone had asked.. All other members of the royal family do have valid drivers licences. I did see a program that mentioned she does travel to Windsor every weekend too.

Well remember, when the Queen was young you didn't need a driver's license. We've got a problem at the moment with people in their 90s driving without a license because they never needed one when they started.

However, a page on royal insight makes it less clear.
Although The Queen does not require a driving licence by law, she learned to drive in 1945, while still Princess Elizabeth, as a member of the Auxiliary Territorial Service. She would have required a licence at this time, since she was not the Sovereign and would therefore have been required to hold a driving licence under the existing acts of that time
Royal Insight > March 2003 > Mailbox > Page 4
From the sound of it she passed the test and acquired a licence at that time.
Well remember, when the Queen was young you didn't need a driver's license. We've got a problem at the moment with people in their 90s driving without a license because they never needed one when they started.
national tests were introduced in 1935, but were suspended twice. Driving Schools | Driving Lessons | Driving
driving.co.uk

Of course, I'm ageing the Queen horribly. Didn't HM get a license when she was in the ATS?

(Wanders off singing; "I'm Bess, Bess, Bess of the ATS. Though sugar's on the ration I'm the sweetheart of the mess"...)

Of course, I'm ageing the Queen horribly. Didn't HM get a license when she was in the ATS?

(Wanders off singing; "I'm Bess, Bess, Bess of the ATS. Though sugar's on the ration I'm the sweetheart of the mess"...)
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I would think so, they all had to get one. Although one friend told me that she had read all of the books on how to drive and was very good at the lectures, then was told to drive somewhere, got in, did her best but.....
She said nobody had asked her if she had actually driven! :ROFLMAO:

Do licenses in the UK not have to be renewed periodically?

Do licenses in the UK not have to be renewed periodically?
Unless you have a reportable illness, they run through until you are 70, but once you get to 70 you can apply for another licence, renewable every 2 or 3 years. DVLA normally contact your doctor for verification on your fitness to drive.

Medical conditions that must be reported include Epilepsy and Diabetes Type 1 & 2. Restrictions are then placed on the licence, renewable every 2 or 3 years after the DVLA has contacted your GP and consultants. :flowers:

There are restrictions to the type of vehicle you can drive if you have these conditions.

I thought that the British Royals always made a big deal about not traveling in motorcades and actually stopping for traffic signals. Has this changed?

Thanks for the clarification on the Queen holding a drivers licence. It does make sense now. The question about the passport makes sense to me now too. Thanks again!

I thought that the British Royals always made a big deal about not traveling in motorcades and actually stopping for traffic signals. Has this changed?
If it is an official trip, traffic may be held up/diverted to ensure no hold up for the official car and bodyguards. Traffic signals can be altered at the touch of a button. When the RF are just driving from A to B, then although they have the bodyguards behind them, they obey all the ordinary rules of the road. :flowers:

Thanks, Skydragon. Somewhere in the past I remember reading about people driving in London who looked out the window and saw the Queen or Queen Mother or some other member of the Royal Family in the traffic stopped at the same intersection. Interesting.

Interesting about different countries here in Australia they have to be renewed every 10 years til age 70, then yearly after that, they are issued state by state so mine is a South Australian one but it is valid country-wide

There are also "national" licenses for people who drive trucks/ buses

How many miles from BP To Windsor Castle

Interesting about different countries here in Australia they have to be renewed every 10 years til age 70, then yearly after that, they are issued state by state so mine is a South Australian one but it is valid country-wide

There are also "national" licenses for people who drive trucks/ buses

In Australia it varies from State to State. In NSW licences have to be renewed every 5 years, but we get to go to age 80 before having a medical, and then have to renew annually with medicals after that, and I think annual driving tests as well from age 85.

The Queen travels in a motorcade, with outriders ahead and behind. Police are stationed all along the proposed route and modern communication means that changes to the plan can be quickly made at any time in the event of any untoward incident. Traffic at road junctions is held back as her car approaches and does not flow again until she has passed.

HM does not necessarily go to Windsor every weekend - the Castle is open to the public at weekends and I'm sure she doesn't need people trampling around the palace while she is there. Where she spends any particular weekend depends upon her diary .....

It is true that some parts of Windsor are very much open to the public but there are some areas which are still restricted - which I would really want to see ! * sighs * ... one can't blame them though.

You mean your the cameraman behind the video, wbenson?

Godd job! Just imagine being a tourist there and suddenly discover the Queen standing at a window...! It´s nice to see the Royals still take notice of the guard as this must be the average daily schedule for them.

I'm the cameraman. :)

Cool! I think it would have been exciting to spot the Queen watching the Changing of the Guard from the windows. Thank you for sharing it, because I've enjoyed watching that video many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom