The Queen's Visit to Morocco in 1980

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tanababa

City
Raanana
Country
Israel
Hello,
I am looking for information regarding Queen Elizabeth 2 visit to Morocco.

Thank you,
Tamir

It happened in 1980 and is often referred to at the "Tour from Hell"
-nothing took place as previously arranged
-An event would be scheduled to take place at one palace and then when the queen showed up they would find the event had been moved elsewhere.
-at one open air lunch the Queen showed up, then the king disappeared leaving her sitting in the sun and did not reappear until 5 o'clock.
-for the Kings State dinner the Queen arrived at the palace if full regalia to find that the palace was closed. The king turned up an hour later and decided to put the blame on the Queens staff and proceeded to tell them off. The Queen stepped in and said "I will thank you not to talk to my staff in that manner".
-The King was driving with the Queen to visit the Leonard Cheshire Centre for the Disabled when he decided it was beneath his dignity and he wasn't going to go. The Queen told him to stop the car then because she was going to go anyway and would take her own security staff.
-The Queen was preparing to host the return banquet aboard Britannia when at the last minute the Minister of the Court showed up and said the King wanted the banquet delayed for a few hours. The Queen told him the banquet would go ahead as planned but she fully understood if the king would be late for dinner. He arrived 54 minutes later. He brought his own food because he was worried about being poisoned.
-he then proceeded to complain that his family had not be given British knighthoods and wanted the British Ambassador fired. It had been planned and agreed before the visit that the knighthoods would not be given to the kings family, and Prince Philip told the British Foreign Minister to just ignore the kings rant. The Ambassador kept his job, in fact the Ambassador was knighted the next day.
-on her return the Queen sent King Hassan a message "We have been especially touched by the way in which Your Majesty took such a personal interest in our programme".
-

Last edited:
Picture of Her Majesty's visit to Morocco:

pa-2892318.jpg

Back
Top Bottom