The Queen's Dogs

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kelly1972

Aristocracy
City
St. Catharines
Country
Canada
I can't remember if anyone ever posted anything about the Queen's love of her Corgi's. I know that this love of hers has gone back at least 60 yrs or so since she received her first corgi as a present from her parents. Does anyone know how many she has now? As well I have read that she keeps and trains other breeds too.

She breeds labradors as working gun dogs, but the corgis are pets. I'm not sure how many corgis there are at present, but it seems to be somewhere around four or five, give or take.

Here you go Kelly:
How many corgis does The Queen have and what are their names?
The Queen currently owns five corgis and four dorgis, a corgi-dachshund crossbreed.

The corgis are called Emma, Linnet, Monty, Holly and Willow. The dorgis are called Cider, Berry, Candy and Vulcan

Those names are so cute!:D
I heard she 'inherited' her mother's dogs, so some of those may have belonged to the Queen Mother.

Thanks for the answer to my question QE2 I appreciate it. You really can see how much all of the royal love their dogs. I love their names too.:)

I believe that the dorgi's came about when one of the Queen's corgis and one of Princess Margaret's dauschunds (sp) had some fun and a litter resulted!!!

Anyone?

Does anyone know QE2's current names for her horses.
The names for her dogs are really cute!

Here you go Kelly:
The Queen currently owns five corgis and four dorgis, a corgi-dachshund crossbreed.

The corgis are called Emma, Linnet, Monty, Holly and Willow. The dorgis are called Cider, Berry, Candy and Vulcan

I love the names! :wub: Especially Linnet and Vulcan.
If someone knows her horses names, please write them here.

For my own, I rather admire Her Majesty's specailly bred, glorious, Labradors.

I met some, once, when staying close to Sandringham. They are truly lovely, elegant, intelligent, and superbly bred dogs. One black beauty, in particular, I would have loved to have scooped up and smuggled back into Australia.

The Corgis are, of course, HM closest and much-valued companions, but her Sandringham Labradors run a close second, and are instrumental and adored in Sandringham's royal pursuits and affection.

I have always heard that corgi dogs are ankle nippers and occasionally apologies have to be sent out because of this.
They are Royal dogs so what can commoners expect? I too love to see the dogs running everywhere in documentaries. There was a film (one of the first ever made) very short with Queen Victoria and some of her very large family outnumbered by dogs which were also running everywhere.

Here you go Kelly:

Please explain - what is a dorgy?? Never heard of this breed ... :eek:

Last edited:
Corgi mated with Dachshund. introduced by HM when one of her corgis was mated with a dachshund belonging to her sister, Princess Margaret.:flowers: They are fun dogs as opposed to the gun dogs and terriers she also breeds.

Dorgi, Dorgis, Dorgie, Dorgies, Dachshund / Corgi Hybrid

Adorable! Such s sweet little one. Love these huge ears. Thank you so much, Skydragon, for your quick help and in particular for the link.

Corgis nip at one's heels because they're herding dogs and that's one way they have of telling cattle or sheep to hurry it up. It's instinctual with them.

Corgis nip at one's heels because they're herding dogs and that's one way they have of telling cattle or sheep to hurry it up. It's instinctual with them.
Or when they are badly trained pets. :D

The Queen has nearly as many dogs as my mum owns ( breeds and shows english cocker spaniels). I like the names of the dogs a good variety of names.

My ex husband is quite keen on Beagling on the East Coast. Has anyone ever heard of any of the royals hunting with them?

Sad but inevitable, if no one else in the family likes them.

When my grandma was dying she was very concerned about the wellbeing of her elderly pampered darling, Mac. Mac was very snappish and had made himself very unpopular in my dog-loving family. At the wake my uncle was offering him as a door prize. (Don't worry, Mac outlived my uncle... and was taken care of by my aunt and mother.)

The Queen is just being a responsible owner not breeding what she can't guarantee a decent life. The other thing is, as you get older you're more likely to take a tumble on one of your babies too -- although the Queen Mum seemed to have corgis/dorgis to the end. But it's probably something an elderly person should consider.

Photos of the Queen with her dogs

Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner but I have an older book (about 20 old) with lovely pictures of the Queen as a child with her first Corgi, Dookie, and other dogs.

I thought it might be a fun thread if we could post photos of the Queen with her dogs, especially pre-World War II photos if you have them.

Queen solves mystery of killer dog bug which affected dogs at Sandringham | Mail Online

As our best-known animal lover, the Queen has taken a keen interest in the mystery illness that has struck down dogs after they have been walked in woods on her Sandringham estate, killing at least eight of them. Now, just as she prepares for her family Christmas at Sandringham, Her Majesty has received some welcome news.The Queen, who asked scientists from the Animal Health Trust to investigate the canine illness, had warned dog walkers to be vigilant after her land became the worst hit area in the country. Her own dogs are equally at risk, including her corgis and the Labradors that pick up pheasants on her Boxing Day shoot.

The trust believes that the outbreak of so-called Seasonal Canine Illness, which affected 49 dogs exercised in woodland at Sandringham this autumn, appears to be over. No new cases have been reported for more than a month, so the Queen can relax, knowing that royal shooting parties on the estate are no longer at risk.

The trust also believes it has discovered the cause, after a botanist from the Natural History Museum was able to rule out various theories...The trust now thinks the bug is linked to bites from an infestation of harvest mites.

:previous:
Being an animal lover myself, I'm not sure I could relax, nor do I expect HM will relax easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being an animal lover myself, I'm not sure I could relax, nor do I expect HM will relax easily.

:previous: I agree, I can't imagine losing one of my puppies let alone eight! :eek: The article just says they think they know the cause, but have they found a way of preventing this to happen again?

That's terrible. I can imagine that Her Majesty will not be very relaxed about this during the holidays.

Back
Top Bottom