The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-14-2015, 09:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Queen stops breeding corgis as 'she doesn't want to leave any behind' - Telegraph
Quote:
Monty Roberts, a horse whisperer who has regularly advised the Queen and is a frequent guest at the royal residences, has revealed that she told him that she did not want any more pups.

Mr Roberts, 80, whom the Queen named one of corgi after, said he had urged her to breed more dogs in 2012.

"But she didn't wnat to have any more young dogs," he told Vanity Fair.

"She didn't want to leave any young dog behind. She wanted to put an end to it."

Mr Roberts admitted that the tone of the conversation had "concerned" him as he did not want her to contemplate dying.

The Queen, 89, who has owned 30 corgis over the years, has now has just two, Holly and Willow. Both are almost 12 and so are unlikely to live much longer.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:26 AM
Heir Apparent

This is old news

Queen to stop breeding beloved corgis after more than half a century of royal pets | Daily Mail Online

Old 07-14-2015, 11:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

I know it's old news, but this was a new article, where Monty Roberts talks about what the Queen told him.

Queen Elizabeth?s Corgis: A History | Vanity Fair
Quote:
Even at age 80, Roberts is an imposing physical presence and bears himself with almost preternatural calm. But at a Heathrow Airport restaurant, en route to assist in the training of young Thoroughbreds at Polhampton, a slight tremor breaks across his lips when he describes an exchange he had with the Queen after Monty’s death, in 2012.

“I said, ‘I want you to tell me the best breeder of corgis that you revere. Who’s doing the best job? Because I want a puppy to be named Monty, to be a replacement.’ But she didn’t want to have any more young dogs. She didn’t want to leave any young dog behind. She wanted to put an end to it. I understood that we would discuss it further at a later date.

“Well, we never discussed it at a later date, and I have no right to try to force her into continuing to bring on young puppies if she doesn’t want to. That isn’t my right. But it still concerns me. Because I want her to believe in her existence until she’s no longer here, because she’s just too important to the world to contemplate checking out. For me, the Queen can’t die.”

To Roberts, the corgis exemplify the Queen’s greatness as a leader in one specific way, distinct from the sense of continuity that many claim to be the essence of her significance. “The dogs are so critical, and the horses, the cows, and the other animals, the wild deer and the stags of Scotland—they all play into it, because in my opinion the Queen created an avenue by which people could include animals as a part of our social structure,” Roberts says.
Quote:
They kept the Queen Mum company in oldest age until, on Easter Sunday 2002, she died, a little more than one month after Princess Margaret had passed away. When the Queen went to Clarence House to view her mother’s body, she took the Queen Mum’s corgis home with her, and they were cared for as her own.
This is wrong, the Queen Mother died at Royal Lodge, Windsor, with the Queen, at her bedside.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:41 PM
Heir Apparent

It's wonderful that Monty Roberts reveres the Queen so much as a sovereign and person. However, I do think that the Queen has made a sensible decision to just have her remaining dogs grow old and not get replacements. All sorts of things come into play when a dog owner is nearing ninety, including the possibility of tripping over an active little animal due to poor eyesight or unsteadiness.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
It's wonderful that Monty Roberts reveres the Queen so much as a sovereign and person. However, I do think that the Queen has made a sensible decision to just have her remaining dogs grow old and not get replacements. All sorts of things come into play when a dog owner is nearing ninety, including the possibility of tripping over an active little animal due to poor eyesight or unsteadiness.

Not only that, but also think what a pet goes through when that special loved one is gone. My Uncle told us that w/it being close to three months since my Aunt passed away, their dog Zoe is still looking for her and runs to the door when someone comes, but is so disappointed when it isn't Aunt Robbie.

The Queen being the animal lover we know she is, I can't see her not also taking that into consideration when making her decision. As sad as it is to picture her not surrounded by her beloved Corgis, it is the right choice to make, but i can't begin to imagine how hard it was for Her Majesty to make. After all, her dogs have been the only ones she *knew* deep down that she could tell anything to that would not go any further.

Not easy at all, but w/out a doubt the right thing to decide to do.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 07-14-2015, 11:11 PM
Majesty

This story breaks my heart a little for two reasons. I admire QEII more than any other member of the BRF and I don't want to contemplate a time when she is no longer around.

And as much as she obviously loves her pets, she is also very pragmatic about them.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 07-15-2015, 02:11 AM
Serene Highness

For years a book called "The English Dog at Home" has been on my shelves and it is a very appealing publication.

Perhaps a little dated now as it's from the mid-eighties, it has a couple of chapters about the dogs of The Queen, Queen Mother and Princess Anne.

With photos taken at Birkhall and Gatcombe Park it covers some of the background of how the Royal Family came to take up corgis.

Prior to the Royal Family the breed was little known outside of South Wales.

This is a lovely book for anyone interested in dogs or stately English interiors!

My soft-cover edition has the Buckingham Palace "reject" that Princess Anne gave a home to on the cover, but I think there are other versions that are still available on ebay etc.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:19 AM
Majesty

A very sensible decision, from a very sensible woman, IMO!
Old 07-15-2015, 04:33 AM
Majesty

It is a sensible and responsible way of acting, even though the corgis would always have had an excellent housing and care when their lady would have gone.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:24 AM
Majesty

The Queen's favourite dog, the corgi, makes a comeback | Nature | News | Daily Express
Old 02-21-2016, 02:23 AM
Majesty

A history of Queen Elizabeth's love affair with Corgis, now possibly endangered
Old 02-21-2016, 03:32 AM
Serene Highness

Well, I don't think they have to worry about George not being a dog lover like HM. Case in point, those pictures from polo 2014, when he was desperately trying to make his way over to a random dog. But the dog was black so maybe he just confused him with Lupo.

Btw, I think it's funny that Hello! is saying they're endangered, with your previous post from the Express says they are making a promising comeback. That's the British press in a nutshell.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:18 AM
Majesty

It's a dog's life! Queen’s corgis served steak on silver platter by BUTLER at the palace | UK | News | Daily Express
Old 02-22-2016, 12:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Half the people I know do this: "At feeding times, each dog had an individually designed menu, including an array of homeopathic and herbal remedies."
My own cats get special kitty kidney friendly kibble. I know they mean to paint her as unusual, but compared to a lot of people I know, she is not.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:16 AM
Majesty

The Queen with her corgis – video | UK news | The Guardian
Old 03-23-2016, 03:28 PM
Majesty

Queen Elizabeth and Her Corgis : People.com
Old 03-23-2016, 06:12 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think the Queen treats her dogs in an unusual way, either. Corgis of different generations have been her lifelong friends really, from childhood, and she's acted accordingly.
Old 04-23-2016, 02:30 AM
Majesty

How corgis became the Queen's surest companions
Old 05-26-2016, 10:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Her Majesty and the corgis at Heathrow
Old 10-08-2016, 02:40 AM
Majesty

The Queen's pet corgi who starred in 007 Olympic opening ceremony sketch dies aged 13 | Daily Mail Online

Tags
corgis, dachshunds, elizabeth ii, labradors, queen elizabeth ii