The Queen's Dogs

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It been said that the Queen has stopped breeding Corgis. Considering the advanced ages of the dogs she has now, if she wanted new dogs, we would have seen them already.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

You're right; I guess this means that Willow will be the last corgi in the immediate RF for now.

I've read that (and heard it in a documentary or something as well) more than once.

LaRae

Do you know the name of the documentary, because I don't seem to recall that? Maybe it's a documentary that I've already watched and have just forgotten about that snippet of information.

I can empathize with HM and know that Holly will be sorely missed. As most of us that have four legged family members know, the sickness and death of one leaves a big, empty hole that just cannot be filled. We also know that that we always strive to do what is best for our family.

You for sure got that right. Two years ago our 13-year-old cat got cancer and his kidneys shut down, so we had to put him to sleep; I was downright distraught for quite some time, the emotional wound would just burst open out of nowhere. But now we have a new little kitten, 10-week-old Princess Zelda; she's a calico-tabby mix.

Sent from my iPod touch using The Royals Community

Last edited:
A few years ago it was reported that the Queen had stopped adding to her family of dogs. So the family are getting and going to get smaller as the years go by.

I bellieve Holly died in the last few weeks. I'm not sure how old the youngest is, but there is a good chance HM could outlive them all!

A few years ago it was reported that the Queen had stopped adding to her family of dogs. So the family are getting and going to get smaller as the years go by.

I bellieve Holly died in the last few weeks. I'm not sure how old the youngest is, but there is a good chance HM could outlive them all!

In articles posted earlier in this thread it is mentioned that the last remaining corgi is now 13
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f118/the-queens-dogs-7470-6.html#post1929976

Thanks for that link, eya - lucky little dogs, having such a variety of good things to eat :)

I read the article on the menu/s and had to laugh! The rascals were and are so spoilt! But they are not racehorses after all so (imagine the cost of that!) a little bit of lee way should be made here! They have (spoilt little brats that they are!) given the Queen a lot of us time so quite ok in my book!

This is a serious accusation, and for those of you who don't read the article the dog in question was a Jubilee year gift to HM. So, it is not as if the Queen bred a cheat, which we all know she would not do. Although the headline does lead one to doubts...
But the prize-winning dog will be examined to see if it is indeed a purebred, rather than a cross.
Her Majesty is, I would guess, mortified.
Sadly, it might be a great dog - but that matters not at all in competition where bloodlines are ALL. Poor beastie, it is not to blame, nor is the Queen.
My niece once asked me what purebred I wanted and I told her I wanted none. All our much loved and loving dogs were mutts. Woof.

Losing a beloved dog is right on par with losing a beloved family member and I know the pain the Queen is feeling with the loss of Willow.

Yes, and Willow was a link with the past at fifteen years old when she died. At 91 those sort of memories are precious. However, the Queen made the correct decision (IMO) to not buy any more pets and so more losses might be expected in the future as well. Rest in peace little Willow.

I'm wondering who will inherit all her horses....

LaRae

Do you mean her race horses or the ponies she rides at Windsor? Would Charles inherit the racehorses? I know he has little interest in racing but it might be necessary for taxation purposes. The ponies might go to grandchildren like Louise, great-grandchildren like Mia perhaps.

Last edited:
So sad for HM. Her corgi dogs have been an iconic part of her image and even her life from the very beginning. She will be lonely without them.

I can't imagine my own life without pets.:sad:

Do you mean her race horses or the ponies she rides at Windsor? Would Charles inherit the racehorses? I know he has little interest in racing but it might be necessary for taxation purposes. The ponies might go to grandchildren like Loiuise, great-grandchildren like Mia perhaps.

I meant any horses/ponies she owns....IIRC she has breeding programs going for her ponies too along with the racehorses. Perhaps she's made provisions for them to be sold if no one in the family has interest in racing.

LaRae

Sad she has lost the last of her beloved corgis :sad:

But she does still have a few dorgis to keep her company I believe. Certainly we heard how Meghan has charmed the 'dogs'. But still hard to loose a beloved pet.

I agree, she made a smart decision at this point of life, not to add more.

I meant any horses/ponies she owns....IIRC she has breeding programs going for her ponies too along with the racehorses. Perhaps she's made provisions for them to be sold if no one in the family has interest in racing.

I can see her leaving the personal ponies and such to her grandchildren who love to ride. Louise and James spend so much time with her riding, I would think she may leave them the ponies they ride.

Perhaps Anne will get the race horses, or a few? Besides polo, Charles isn't much of a horse person. Anne has definitely been the horse person in the family. And with Gatcombe she has the lands for breeding and such to continue.

Last edited:
I think Anne's involvement in horses have been mostly, if not all, involving eventing (same as Zara does now).

LaRae

I think Anne's involvement in horses have been mostly, if not all, involving eventing (same as Zara does now).

LaRae

Not according to interviews Anne has done, at least in 2009 she was involved in breeding.

The Princess regularly surveys her farm from the back of a horse. A former Olympic eventer and amateur jockey, she is now breeding from the bloodlines of her last event horse, Black Ice, and she breaks in the youngsters herself. ‘All my horses are for sale, but the difficulty is that if Zara [Phillips, world eventing champion] rides them, I can’t sell them, because people think they must be her rejects! All breeders are faced with this problem. It’s the same for The Queen. If you’re a stud owner, you’ve got to sell the good ones as well as the others in order to keep going.’
Read more at Princess Royal interview - Country Life

Princess Royal interview - Country Life

Perhaps breeding eventing horses right now, but not a stretch for her to breed racehorses as well.

Lesser known then Charles, Anne is quite the farmer as well. Gatcomb seems to have been edging towards organic, but because of horses, there are some issues. Interesting article to read about what she has done with Gatcombe over the years.

Mike owned a racehorse which he just sold (not sure if he owned 2 as there was earlier article of one being retired at Gatcombe). Zara works in promoting women owners in racehorses. She actually helped train the race horse her husband bought years ago.

I actually think Anne and Zara are far more likely to keep up the queen's passion then anyone in the family. If not, then best sell them.

Camilla loves the races so maybe the racehorses go to Charles for Camilla to take over the role of the Queen.

After that - who knows?

Pretty much everything will go to Charles to avoid death duties. Why not pass things officially to him and so keep the money in the family even if someone else does the day to day running of those areas that are of interest to the Queen.

Charles may not enjoy the races as much as his mother but he does attend a few times a year and seems to enjoy being there. He also knows that he will be inheriting a family tradition going back centuries - to Queen Anne at least.

William I can see selling the horses but Charles will preserve that aspect of his inheritance - probably with Camilla and Anne heavily involved.

I forgot about Zara and Mike with the race horse..just didn't think they were that serious about it. I thought he sold his shares?

LaRae

The latest I can find is that he is in a syndicate which buys weanlings and sells them as yearlings. They started with the 'joke' buy at the auction some years ago and have moved into this area.

I suspect the idea that he has 'sold his shares' is that he sells the horses his syndicate buys. As of January this year, on the Gold Coast, he was definitely still in the syndicate but said that as it is a 'three year syndicate' they will decide 'next year' whether to continue depending on 'profit and loss'.

Magic Millions: Mike Tindall kickstarts 2018 sales

Ah ok that makes sense..I now remember reading about the 'next year based on profit/loss if he continued'.

LaRae

What a life these doggies had - and what a handful they were for the poor staff -

I likely am taking my life in my hands voicing this opinion, but :sad: ;) those dogs are not (were not) well trained from what I observe. The two stories of dogs 'packing' and bringing down another dog are ghastly and an indication of a problem. (I assume those dogs that 'packed' got put down, or should have been, and that's always sad). So surprised that after so many decades of dog ownership there wasn't good training in force. Learn something new every day. Yikes! :sad:

Last edited:
We only hear about inheritance after the fact. Even then, we don't get all the details. Horses are not dogs. Off topic.

I'm wondering who will inherit all her horses....

LaRae
The Royal Stud has been in existence for well over 200 years - even longer if you count those established by Henry VIII. Charles II was heavily involved in breeding, as was Edward VII and even George V. George III's son The Duke of Cumberland bred the great Eclipse, one of the foundation sires of today's Thoroughbred, and his stable was incorporated into that era's Royal Stud. Today's Royal Stud will pass with the rest of Her Majesty's estate in its entirety to her successor.

Last edited:
Having two kittens myself who have very much become part of the family, I completely sympathise with HM and agree with those who have said that a pet passing away can have the same affect as a human loved one's passing. Willow seemed to live a long, and probably happy, life.

I wonder if HM will have any more dogs after Willow or if she was her last.

Having two kittens myself who have very much become part of the family, I completely sympathise with HM and agree with those who have said that a pet passing away can have the same affect as a human loved one's passing. Willow seemed to live a long, and probably happy, life.

I wonder if HM will have any more dogs after Willow or if she was her last.

Willow will be her last corgi, I believe she has said she wont take in any more at her age.

But she isn't alone, she still has her dorgis. Vulcan and Candy are still with her. They can be seen in the photo of the queen with her dogs in the birthday photos she did last year out on the steps.

Back
Top Bottom