The Queen's Diamond Jubilee Celebrations 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think they should be given a chance, the public apparently have no appetite for them because their mother was Fergie and Beatrice wore a silly hat once. I see no concrete reason to exclude them when we all know that when HM and Philip and the older generation royals pass away, there will be no one but William, Catherine and Harry to pick up the slack.

Anyway on a Concert note;

Queen's Diamond Jubilee: Ear plugs at the ready, Ma'am! Kylie, Tom Jones and Robbie Williams... But who'll be picked to perform God Save The Queen? | Mail Online

The Queen’s choice is Sir Cliff Richard, 71, who is going to serenade her with Congratulations.
And the Duke of Edinburgh has apparently requested Dame Shirley Bassey, the diva’s diva who is still going strong at 75. She will sweep into London from the tax haven of Monaco, where she lives.

Sir Paul gets my vote.

And we have some GMT timings for the weekends events;

Friday, June 1
Elizabeth: Queen, Wife, Mother, ITV, 9pm
The Queen was just 25 and a young mother when she took the throne, Alan Titchmarsh talks to her family and reveals how she juggled her roles.
A Jubilee Tribute To The Queen By The Prince Of Wales, BBC1, 8pm
In a rare personal broadcast, Prince Charles pays tribute to his mother, with previously unseen footage.
Saturday, June 2
Racing From Epsom: Derby Day, BBC1, 12.50pm
Clare Balding covers the day of the Queen’s visit.
Sunday, June 3
The Diamond Jubilee Thames Pageant, BBC1, 1.30pm
Live coverage of the Pageant, including cameras on board the royal barge.
All The Queen’s Horses: A Diamond Jubilee Special, ITV, 6.30pm
Extravaganza presented by Alan Titchmarsh, in which more than 550 horses and 1,200 people perform to music.
Monday, June 4
Diamond Jubilee Concert, BBC1, 7.30pm
Buckingham Palace’s music festival. Followed by the lighting of the National Beacon at 10.30pm.
Tuesday, June 5
The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee, ITV, 8.30am
Phillip Schofield and Julie Etchingham head ITV’s live Jubilee ceremonial day coverage.
Service Of Thanksgiving And Royal Procession, BBC1, 9.15am
Huw Edwards and James Naughtie lead the BBC team.

I'm so excited for the jubilee celebrations as a friend and I are going to London to be part of the festivities! Has anyone heard if the concert on Monday night will be on big screens anywhere? Maybe in the Mall or one of the parks?

I'm so excited for the jubilee celebrations as a friend and I are going to London to be part of the festivities! Has anyone heard if the concert on Monday night will be on big screens anywhere? Maybe in the Mall or one of the parks?

I'm fairly certain that there's only the seated area around the Victoria Memorial that's ticketed. So, you could get fairly close to the stage if you're there early enough. Otherwise, there will apparently be big screens along the Mall and in Green Park, St James's Park and Hyde Park (I think).

There's going to be a big firework display after the concert too so it should be a great evening. So jealous you're going to be there!

Look forward to this documentary, I always enjoy seeing members of the family being interviewed and discussing life with the Queen. Found it amusing at the thought of the children having a pillow fight! It is also lovely to see that the Queen adores being a grandmother, which is evident from all the images of her with her grandchildren. It's lovely to see her more "mellowed" image.

Paul Harrison ‏@SkyNewsRoyal #diamondjubilee the carriage seats William and Kate sat on as Husband and wife post wedding - the 1902 State Landau http://pic.twitter.com/ArXdiGcH
Paul Harrison ‏@SkyNewsRoyal
#diamondjubilee the 1902 State Landau in which the #Queen and DoE will travel to St Paul's on June 5th http://pic.twitter.com/hpfS5O3C
#diamondjubilee 1902 State Landau next to 1 of 7 State Landau to be used by either Prince Charles or his sons http://pic.twitter.com/1ZADluqV
I can't believe it's next weekend! I'm ready got everything hooked up and ready to record and got my new tshirt coming in the mail!

Christ save me how the heck did Gary Barlow get the special Hello Magazine Diamond Jubilee edition front cover?
http://yfrog.com/hsctrfipj

Nice sand sculputures. Takes alot of talent for that. As for dignitaries on the royal barge, I have to agree, there is no reason for it. This is strictly about Elizabeth and her Jubilee.

I'd be awful at any type of sand sculpture so I feel bad about saying this, but, is it just me or does this have shades of Hyacinth Bucket (Bouquet)?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be awful at any type of sand sculpture so I feel bad about saying this, but, is it just me or does this have shades of Hyacinth Bucket (Bouquet)?
I think it's a pretty good likeness of the Queen, considering the material.
As for Mrs Bucket - she always aspired to join higher society, so she would be flattered at the comparison.

Off topic, but I LOVE Keeping Up Appearances! One of my favourite sitcoms ever.

Oh she would LOVE the comparison. Every time I see Patricia Routledge (who played Hyacinth) in anything else on TV the first thing that always came to mind is, "the BOUQUET residence the lady of the house speaking!".

Oh she would LOVE the comparison. Every time I see Patricia Routledge (who played Hyacinth) in anything else on TV the first thing that always came to mind is, "the BOUQUET residence the lady of the house speaking!".
Oh, yes - that line never failed to crack me up. :D

Bit more on topic. This sort of thing makes me long to be in London right now. London's shops deck out their window displays in honour of the Queen:
Queen's Diamond Jubilee: Patriotic shop window displays - Fashion Galleries - Telegraph
Why did I take my vacation in February? Would give everything to be in Britain for upcoming celebrations. :)

yes!!! 7-10pm for me! cannot wait!

I believe Good Morning America is live streaming in association with yahoo.com but if they don't here's the link I use to watch BBC One which is airing it.
tvpc.com - BBC 1

Thank you for the link and all the updated times. I'll be checked CNN.com for a live stream. They did have one for the wedding last year (even if I watched the stream provided by BBC).

Oh, how priceless is that :ROFLMAO:? It does look like Her Majesty, but I see a bit of a similarity to Mrs. Bucket :D.

I think it's a pretty good likeness of the Queen, considering the material.
As for Mrs Bucket - she always aspired to join higher society, so she would be flattered at the comparison.

Off topic, but I LOVE Keeping Up Appearances! One of my favourite sitcoms ever.

That show never fails to crack me up. Too funny.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Glad I'm not the only one who finds this line absolutely hysterically funny.

Bit more on topic. This sort of thing makes me long to be in London right now. London's shops deck out their window displays in honour of the Queen:

Queen's Diamond Jubilee: Patriotic shop window displays - Fashion Galleries - Telegraph

These are absolutely delightful. I love the big corgi in front of one of the shops.

Thank you for clearing that up, I was finding it bizarre that they were not going to be with their parents. Lovely that they will be able to see the pageant, even if they aren't participating.

I'm with you here. It's great that they'll be able to watch, but rather sad that they won't be able to actually be a part of the pageant.

They are not even attending, but even so, Peter and Zara are not 8 and 4 years old.

This is another good point. Peter and Zara are grown adults, and they have been there at the Golden Jubilee. Louise and James are very young children, and to them, this is all larger than life, not to mention a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to really celebrate their Granny. A child of their age would be rather disappointed not to be a part of this, like their parents and older cousins. I do hope that they'll get to participate in some capacity in Trooping the Colour. Louise was so excited about it last year, and this year is even more special.

Zara will be competing so won't be doing anything much during the Jubilee.

As far as Peter is concerned I have seen no explanation as to why he isn't going to be attending.

Maybe with the new Baby. Who know he is a grown adult. I guess too they all have to have it in the back of the minds that once Charles is King it will be a different monarchy and if Peter does not bring his children to these events it will not be a lost when it will no longer happens.

Like mother, like daughter: The Queen shows growing resemblance to her mother in new portrait to mark diamond jubilee
The same twinkling blue eyes, the same wavy silver hair and the same glowing complexion that defies her advancing years... the Queen looks every inch her mother's daughter in this new portrait to mark her 60 years on the throne. The portrait was drawn by pop artist Sir Peter Blake for a special commemorative cover for the Radio Times to celebrate Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee. In the portrait, the Queen, now aged 86, bears a striking resemblance to her mother who died in 2002 at the age of 101.
The best of journalism: mother and daughter resemble each other. And I must add, not all that much in those two particular portraits. :doh:

Diamond Jubilee: Duke and Duchess of Cambridge given key role in service at St Paul's - Telegraph

This article includes the program for the Jubilee Thanksgiving Service at Westminster Abbey next Tuesday (scroll down). Interestingly, the New Testament reading is the same one that James Middleton read at the royal wedding. HM must have really liked it, assuming she had a role in the planning .

A very interesting article, although somewhat exaggerating the role of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge in the celebrations.

camilla's son and daugter are invited to the tamesis event?

Just watching the Katie Couric tv special and can't say I am terribly impressed. It has been on for an hour and they are just getting to the Charles & Diana era after going through the abdication, WWII, her marriage to Philip and then the Margaret-Townsend problem. So far just tidbits with William, Eugenie, Beatrice and Harry. Obviously very geared towards an American audience which may be why so much historical review was needed but I think perhaps the best parts were what was already released in clips and 2 hrs filled with lots of old news clips etc.

Last edited:
Yea, honestly the only thing of interest to me this far (and I'm not done watching) is how nice Beatrice's speaking voice sounds.

I totally agree!!!! I wish this was done by an British broadcaster. It would have gravitas and be more "current" in the way that you had mentioned (not relying heavily on historical review). I don't mind Katie Couric, but for some reason an american take on a British/Commonwealth institution on such an important occasion just doesn't seem right, IMO.

Well that was 2 hours of my life I will never get back. I don't think we saw or found out anything new at all.

Well that was 2 hours of my life I will never get back. I don't think we saw or found out anything new at all.

Indeed! That's why I invariably multitask when "watching" this sort of puffery. But yes, Beatrice and Eugenie did look very nice and spoke very well.

Yup, not time well spent. In all fairness, it was geared towards the Americans, who generally don't have much knowledge of the BRF.

Not really a fan of Katie Couric, and she did nothing to redeem herself in my eyes.

Did it bother anyone else how touchy feely she was with HM's staff? I don't recall who she interviewed, but she was inquiring about whether or not things got out of control (more my words than hers) the night of the Cambridge wedding celebrations and when there was a denial, she gave the man a bit of a smack on the arm. While that may be a very American thing, it bothered me that she did it to someone so close to HM.

Yes, the over familiarity bothered me as well!

Yes, I did notice that, and was shocked. Very inappropriate behavior, Ms. Couric, and I don't think that was the only occurrence of such. Still, she did drop a nice little curtsy to HM...

Does anybody know where I can watch the Thames flotilla on Sunday? I don't have cable so I can't watch it on BBC America...can I get it on my computer, and if so where?

Yes, I did notice that, and was shocked. Very inappropriate behavior, Ms. Couric, and I don't think that was the only occurrence of such. Still, she did drop a nice little curtsy to HM...

Does anybody know where I can watch the Thames flotilla on Sunday? I don't have cable so I can't watch it on BBC America...can I get it on my computer, and if so where?
Refer to the bottom of my post #303. I've provided a link to BBC One where you can watch the Thames River Pageant on Sunday. Along with times and converted times for PST/EST depending on where you are. :flowers:

Am I the only one who enjoyed the interviews? I thought it was good to hear some things that I've heard from royal journalists over the years finally from the mouths of William/Harry. I also particularly enjoyed seeing Eugenie and Beatrice they looked beautiful. I don't get the denial about the wedding from HM's staff we all know Harry's after party was less then formal ok not wild as Katie was referring to but still anyways...Also really loved re-learning about the Queen. It's easy to forget just how much she's seen/done through her reign.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the interviews with the grandchildren. You, or maybe it's just me, never get to hear from Beatrice and Eugenie, so it was really nice to see them. I liked Eugenie's comment that the queen likes to be know what is going on in their lives, particularly the part about her grandkids going to college. That more than other comments seemed to bring home that she is their grandmother.

Back
Top Bottom