The Queen's Diamond Jubilee Celebrations 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can't believe I missed that link.
Thanks for providing it, Ghost; I wish I remembered about it. Any chance of repeats?

I checked BBC1 schedule and the tribute will air two more times in the next few days:

Mon. June 4th at 13:45 UK time
Tues. June 5th 00:40 UK time.

I am completely hopeless when it comes to converting to local time zones. Can anyone help out, please?

Thanks!!!

Ooops, EIIR beat me to it! I type too slow!!

I hadn't seen any indication of a second repeat, Royal Newbie, so thanks for that. 00:40 BST is 19:40 East Coast US and 16:40 West Coast US.

I can confirm from much running around earlier today that bunting is sold out in my part of the world. I went to two Tescos, Asda, M&S, Sainsbury's, Poundland and B&M Bargains and could not find any bunting left at all. All my own fault of course for leaving it so late.

The early morning Tuesday repeat is being advertised in the Radio Times.
I popped into Sainsbury's on my lunch break on Wednesday and managed to pick up a 2ft by 3ft Union Jack for £1.50 which is now flying proudly from my bedroom window.

Last edited by a moderator:

AttheBeach1957.jpg

At the beach, 1957

:previous:That picture has to be a classic!! That poor corgi is either totally confused about what is going on or he's conspiring to get into a bit of trouble... if he dares. :whistling:

Pretty interesting poll from CNN:

Americans love the queen.

As Britain prepares to celebrate Queen Elizabeth II's 60th year on the throne, the sovereign's popularity in the United States is at a 15-year high -- 82% of Americans say they have a favorable opinion of the queen in a CNN/ORC poll released Friday.

That's a 35-point jump from 1997, when her favorable rating stood at 47%. That was the year Princess Diana died in a car crash in Paris. Many Americans and Brits were disappointed in the royal family's handling of the death of the "people's princess," saying the queen didn't sufficiently reflect her subjects' sense of loss following the accident.

Since then, however, Queen Elizabeth's favorable ratings have been on the rise, reaching 75% in 2002 and 80% in 2007.

Next week the United Kingdom will put royal pageantry on full display in celebration of the queen's Diamond Jubilee. The high point will be Thames Jubilee Pageant, a 1,000-boat flotilla led by the queen aboard the royal barge.

"Americans love Queen Elizabeth and they think the royal family is a good thing for the people of England, but only one in eight would like to see royalty here in the United States," CNN Polling Director Keating Holland said.

The poll showed 77% of Americans saying the royal family is good for the people of England.

Among her fellow royals, the queen reigns in popularity -- Prince William, her grandson, had a 77% favorable rating. His brother Prince Harry stood at 70%.
William's wife is similarly popular. The Duchess of Cambridge, known as Kate Middleton before her marriage to William, had a favorable rating of 73%. Her wedding last April drew hundreds of millions of television viewers, and sparked a renewed interest in Britain's royal family among Americans.

Prince Charles, first in line to succeed Queen Elizabeth, had a more modest favorable rating than his mother.

"Prince Charles' favorable rating, at 57%, is comparatively low, and only 36% have a positive view of his wife, the former Camilla Parker Bowles," Holland said.

The prince, who underwent a high profile divorce from Diana in 1996, married his long-time companion Camilla Parker Bowles in 2005. Camilla took the title Duchess of Cornwall upon her marriage to Charles.

Prince Philip, the queen's husband, is not as popular as his wife, though is still viewed favorably by 59% of Americans.

The CNN/ORC poll surveyed 1,009 adult Americans by telephone between May 29-31, 2012. The sampling error was plus or minus three percentage points.

I saw a poll in the Express a few weeks ago that said 74% of Britons have a favourable opinion of the Queen. This would suggest that the Queen is even more popular in the US than she is in the UK! That doesn't seem right, but there it is.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

This is seriously cool. Google have paid tribute to the Queen by creating a Google doodle in her honour. How cute are the little corgis?

Google doodles the Queen's Diamond Jubilee - Tech News - IBNLive

^^^^^
Not terribly surprising. America is all about celebrity culture. Khardashians or Jersey Shore anyone!?

Pretty interesting poll from CNN:
...The poll showed 77% of Americans saying the royal family is good for the people of England....
What about the people of Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland? Presumably, it's not bad for them either.
I know it's petty, but I really hate when they say "Queen of England" or "English Royal Family"; somehow, it feels a bit disrespectful towards other parts of the UK.

Last edited:
What about the people of Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland? Presumably, it's not bad for them either.
I know it's petty, but I really hate when they say "Queen of England" or "English Royal Family"; somehow, it feels a bit disrespectful towards other parts of the UK.

Ah, this old chestnut. Most people, certainly outside the UK, do not understand the difference between England, Great Britain or the United Kingdom. To be honest, I think a fair number of Brits get this wrong, let alone Americans. In the US, most people see England and UK as interchangeable, which of course they're not. Americans always talk about loving the 'British accent' which does not exist. What they think is a British accent is essentially RP English from the south east of England.

I just don't get annoyed by it, because I think it's not really a big deal. Some people here get annoyed at the UK Olympic team being known nowadays as Team GB. But NI is not in GB, and yet sportsmen and women from NI represent Team GB at the Olympics. But, to me, complaining about it is just a waste of energy and goodness knows we have bigger problems to be dealing with.

^^^^^
Not terribly surprising. America is all about celebrity culture. Khardashians or Jersey Shore anyone!?

I believe in the US that the distinction between the two (royalty v's celebrity) is not easily identified due to the highly popularised, celebrity driven culture of the United States. Though even the current day idea of true celebrity is highly questionable. Especially in light of the above mentioned tv shows. It seems anyone can lay claim to celebrity nowadays.

For example, I find it degrading to the notion of monarchy when stories on members of the RF pop up on 'ET'.

Last edited:
Ah, this old chestnut. Most people, certainly outside the UK, do not understand the difference between England, Great Britain or the United Kingdom.
As I said, I know it's petty. But still very annoying. ;)
The situation is not unfamiliar for me; for most of the world, Soviet = Russian. All the nations that compromised the Union - Armenians, Georgians, Ukrainians, and others are often forgotten. After some time, you just resign yourself to the fact that whenever someone abroad learns you are from one of the former Soviet states, you are automatically labelled "Russian" (which in my case isn't wrong anyway, since I'm half-Russian with dual citizenship).

I think or at least in my opinion (i know I do) we have more respect for the Royalty then celebrities. I think it is also insulting to lump the Kardashians (i don't care if i mispelled it) and the jersey morons with Royalty or even with celebrity. With most celebrities they actually earned their celebrity most of them are not famouse for having a sex tapes or getting drunk and stupid.

But to get back to the topic, I loved the Charles tribute. Will that be part of some of the stuff that will air on BBCA?

The Prince of Wales' tribute is already up on Youtube
Watching it now... I love how much he admires the jewelry at the coronation and on Queen Mary's portrait. A man that appreciates diamond jewelry that much is a man after my own heart :flowers:

:previous:That picture has to be a classic!! That poor corgi is either totally confused about what is going on or he's conspiring to get into a bit of trouble... if he dares. :whistling:
That corgi is my favorite part of the picture. Such expressive little face :wub: :D
I think or at least in my opinion (i know I do) we have more respect for the Royalty then celebrities...
I know that I personally don't clump royals with celebrities, especially not the Khardashians or the Jersey loons. I have high respect for the members of the British Royal Family (and others around Europe) because support many good causes and uphold certain aspects of their nation's traditions. The media, especially here in the States tends to give royalty Hollywood-ish type of glamor, and it sends the wrong message. Royals are not celebrities and when they're treated as such, it's rather disrespectful. I think it's sad that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are being portrayed as a glamor couple, rather than a SAR pilot in the RAF and his wife, or a couple of young royals that support good causes and want to make a difference. The fact that shows such as ET and 'Access Hollywood' have stories on them makes it seem as if they're leading the life of jet setters or Hollywood stars who are more concerned with having the right connections rather than using the resources to help those that are not as fortunate as them.

That was a nice video, though I kind of wish it had CC. There was a few places where he mumbled, but I do have to say he has a very nice voice.

I loved the tribute by the Prince of Wales. It showed the Queen and Duke as very human people. In fact it showed the entire family, from the late King on, in a far more human light than any other documentary I've seen. I loved seeing Sir Winston in his London suit sitting guard with his piece of driftwood - he looked completely out of place.

I got very choked watching her as a young mother and wife with her parents. It made me realise just how devastating the death of the King must have been. Not simply because she quite clearly adored him but because of how her life was changed so completely. I understand why, if the reports are correct, she has been keen for William and Catherine to have the opportunity to live a normal life for at least a few years. The film of her on the plane back from Kenya was heartbreaking. It was also apparent how much the Prince still misses Lord Mountbatten.

It was a wonderful tribute and I'm very grateful that modern technology allows those of us not in the UK to share it.

I only just now watched the documentary and a tissue or two was required throughout ;)

The stoic look on her face when on the plane back to London really hit home with me. A faint smile toward the camera and a glance to the side. My heart sunk for her.

As the years progress I find myself thinking of a time beyond that of Elizabeth II and although I firmly believe that Charles will make a wonderful King, this world would have lost someone very very special. And although only viewed from afar, I will miss her.

A very touching tribute.

...As the years progress I find myself thinking of a time beyond that of Elizabeth II and although I firmly believe that Charles will make a wonderful King, this world would have lost someone very very special. And although only viewed from afar, I will miss her.
I am dreading that day. Although I've only been a true fan of the BRF for a short span of time, I've always known about the Queen since I was very little. I think once she's gone each and every one of us will find it hard to deal with, because I think for most of us its someone who's been our life for so long we almost feel like they are part of our family.

As the years progress I find myself thinking of a time beyond that of Elizabeth II and although I firmly believe that Charles will make a wonderful King, this world would have lost someone very very special. And although only viewed from afar, I will miss her.

Beautifully put, Madame.

Just seen Charles' tribute on YouTube. Whoever claimed that the queen does not love Charles and vice versa is absolutely wrong. I very much liked it when he said her Royal duties were very much part of his daily routine, so I don't think he ever felt left out or unloved.

What a beautiful tribute paid by Charles to his mother. I only became interested in the Royal family at a 5 year old when Princess Diana and Prince Charles got married. I always viewed the Queen as a fairytale like figure. How lucky she was to be Queen, the jewels, the clothes, traveling, and the whole word adored her. Seeing this video I saw her like me a mom of 4 children but she just gets to travel the world, have fabulous jewels and everyone knows her. Charles and Anne seemed to have quite a bit of video I would love to see Andrew and Edwards videos as well. It was nice seeing them as a family not the Royal Family.
At the end of this video I have to admit I was struck and thought for the very first time in my life ( I am pro Diana camp LOL) Charles will make a marvelous King. The Queen is celebrating quite a milestone this year. I am thrilled her son and Grandson the next 2 Kings are around with her to witness it all. I can only imagine what her photo albums will look like after this year. So much to be proud of all around. God Save the Queen!

Watching the tribute again. I really, really, really want to pick Prince Charles' brain right now. I hope he wrote down all these stories for future generations, it'd be a shame to lose them. I bet there are more stories...

Back
Top Bottom