The Queen's Diamond Jubilee Celebrations 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw a fantastic documentary on TV last night about the Queen's coronation. It gave much detail about the planning and included some excellent footage of Queen Salote of Tonga who was 6ft 3in tall!
The preparations in Westminster Abbey meant increasing seating capacity from around 2000 to over 7000. In order to bring in all the heavy stuff to make the extra seats and galleries, a small railway was laid down from the West Door along the aisle.
Because of the heavy rain on Coronation Day during the ceremony, there was a debate about whether there was time for the many thousands of troops to put on their weatherproof capes. It was decided against doing this on the grounds that the public were expecting to see the spectacular, shiney, bright uniforms rather than dull capes. So rain or shine, I think all the events this weekend will be amazing!
The footage shown included some very good quality colour footage and the Coronation Dress was incredible - it shone and sparkled with gold and a myriad of bright colours - it really was completely out of this world!

Not sure whether this should go in another thread, apologies and happy for it to be moved.

:previous:
Thanks for sharing, Jacknch! :flowers:
I particularly liked your description of Her Majesty's dress; I have seen colour photographs of it, but not colour footage.

Bruno Peek, Pageantmaster of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Beacons, poses with the Jubilee Crystal Diamond at the Tower of London May 1, 2012.
Queen Elizabeth will use the diamond to light the National Beacon on June 4, during her Diamond Jubilee celebrations.

- The Jubilee Crystal Diamond 1 (how stunning is that?)
- [URL="http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010100031V1338667228574035"]The Jubilee Crystal Diamond 2
[/URL]- The Jubilee Crystal Diamond 3

Last edited:
Stunning is an understatement!!!! wow

Last edited by a moderator:
Tea and cake at the remotest Diamond Jubilee party on Earth - on the Queen Elizabeth Islands in the Arctic
As the Britain celebrates 60 years of our Queen's reign this weekend, there will be celebrations across the country - and beyond. While plenty will be enjoying street parties, picnics and parades in the UK, a rather chilly celebration will be taking place at the coldest - and remotest - Diamond Jubilee party on Earth. The 'Arctic Jubilee Expedition' team - made up of five Britons, one Canadian and one Inuit - will mark the Queen's landmark reign at the highest point of the Queen Elizabeth Islands in Northern Canada - the remotest part of the Commonwealth realm.

Diamond Jubilee deals: It's a weekend full of perks for anyone named Elizabeth

As Jubilee fever bites, companies are begging to give away prizes, discounts and even specially-created cocktails for anyone with a royal first name. In fact, for some deals, Phillips could do as well out of the Diamond Jubilee celebrations as Elizabeths.

A request to Mods: could you open the The Diamond Jubilee Weekend - 2-5 June 2012 thread? :)
The first event is tomorrow, when the Queen attends Epsom Derby.

Last edited:
That picture is beyond precious :wub: :D. I love the expression on the dog's face. It's like he's a little confused as to what the fuss is about :D. I too love that he calls Her Majesty 'Mama'. It's very sweet and intimate. I remember when he gave a speech after the Golden Jubilee Concert, and his opening line was 'Your Majesty...Mummy'. I thought it was a nice touch. He was letting us know that this woman is more than a monarch; she's a beloved mother as well.
The article has now been updated with many more precious picture. Just some of my favourites:

- The Queen playing a game with baby Charles 1
- The Queen playing a game with baby Charles 2
- The Queen playing a game with baby Charles 3

- The Queen reading to little Charles...
- ... Who has a fit of giggles

- Charles playing in sand dunes 1
- Charles playing in sand dunes 2
- Charles playing in sand dunes 3

- The Queen with little Charles and Anne
- The Queen with little Anne

Was Prince Charles adorable as a baby, or what? :wub:

Last edited:
Part of that footage with a little toddler Charles where the Queen is tickling him and he's loving every minute of it is just so precious. Grown up Charles was giggling just as much watching it over 60 years later!

Part of that footage with a little toddler Charles where the Queen is tickling him and he's loving every minute of it is just so precious. Grown up Charles was giggling just as much watching it over 60 years later!
Is the footage available anywhere online?
I would just love to see it.

It works! :clap:
Thank you so much, EIIR! I really appreciate your finding this link and posting it here. :flowers:

Love Charles' first steps, the tickling scenes, and especially how Charles laughs at those precious memories. :)

Currently watching Prince Charles's tribute to the Queen on BBC One, and it is truly fascinating. All the tiaras and jewels are twinkling amazingly in all the colour footage from the coronation. We've just seen some wonderful footage of Winston Churchill at Balmoral with the RF too. Definitely worth a watch if possible.

awsome tribute by Prince Charles. Really rare footage from royal private archives and photo albums. Young Prince driving his electric car in Balmoral - excellent !

Currently watching Prince Charles's tribute to the Queen on BBC One, and it is truly fascinating. All the tiaras and jewels are twinkling amazingly in all the colour footage from the coronation. We've just seen some wonderful footage of Winston Churchill at Balmoral with the RF too. Definitely worth a watch if possible.
I'm so jealous you have the chance to watch it!
Hoped BBC World might be showing it, but no luck. :ermm:
Hopefully, the full film will later be available somewhere online later.

It really was incredibly touching. I'll be honest - I had tears in my eyes on a couple of occasions. There was some never before seen footage of the Queen on the flight back from Kenya after her father had died and the look on her face was haunting. Also, Charles was visibly upset watching footage of Mountbatten's funeral.

Overall, the impression was one of a family having fun together in their private time. It was lovely to see footage of a young Princess Margaret playing with Charles and Anne. Prince Philip taking part in all the children's escapades.

There was also new footage of the Queen holding a very small Prince Charles, while George VI and the Queen Mother looked on, as proud as punch. There was footage of the Queen walking arm in arm with her parents on the same occasion. You could really sense the love and the loss; Charles said he wished he could've known his grandfather.

If you all can find some way of watching this tribute, I would strongly recommend it. One of the most touching programmes on the royals I've ever seen.

Is anyone able to upload the program (possibly through youtube), for those of us here in the US, since we are not able to watch BBC videos?

Is this tribute part of The Diamond Queen series or is it something else?

HRHHermione said:
Is this tribute part of The Diamond Queen series or is it something else?

The Diamond Queen series only had 3 parts and finished in February. These two shows, one aired on BBC1 tonight and one on ITV are not part of that series.

I'm hoping to pop along and see HM in the flesh for the first time!
Oh, I hope you'll be able to see Her Majesty when she's visiting. How exciting.
Thank you for the pictures. They're indeed lovely. London definitely looks very festive. The nation went all out to celebrate their monarch, who deserves every bit of celebrating for her devotion to her people.
That diamond is gorgeous.
It really was incredibly touching. I'll be honest - I had tears in my eyes on a couple of occasions...
Thank you for giving those of us who are not able to watch this special an overview. I think the public is finding out that the Royal Family is really no different from any other family. They love each other, have fun with each other, share memories, etc. In the BBC video that you posted, it was delightful to see such intimate moments such as Charles' first steps, the tickle fest (and I love that he was giggling about it even now), and the antics in the sand.

What I absolutely fantastic programme, great to see the intimate moments shared for us all. Hopefully anyone who couldn't see it will be able to soon online.

It was very moving seeing the footage of The Queen with Charles and George VI and the Queen Mother. The Prince of Wales seemed very moved when seeing it and speaking about his Grandfather's death. I don't remember seeing a senior royal like Charles speak about his death before but I am probably mistaken.

Lumutqueen said:
The Diamond Queen series only had 3 parts and finished in February. These two shows, one aired on BBC1 tonight and one on ITV are not part of that series.

Gotcha. They haven't aired in America yet, but they're showing them this weekend on BBC America. I hope these programs make their way here eventually as well.

Thank you for giving those of us who are not able to watch this special an overview. I think the public is finding out that the Royal Family is really no different from any other family. They love each other, have fun with each other, share memories, etc. In the BBC video that you posted, it was delightful to see such intimate moments such as Charles' first steps, the tickle fest (and I love that he was giggling about it even now), and the antics in the sand.

You're quite welcome, Daria. What you mention above is quite spooky, as the first thing my mum said to me after the documentary was almost word for word what you've said here.

Another documentary immediately followed this one, except it was on ITV. It had interviews with Anne, Andrew and Eugenie. Alan Titchmarsh was allowed to see some of the letters between Princess Elizabeth and her mother, and they were so sweet and genuinely loving. It was just after Elizabeth and Philip got married, and they both were so clearly deeply in love as they each wrote to QEQM to tell her how happy their marriage had made them. QEQM responded to her daughter that she and the King already loved Philip like a son.

Anyone who thinks the royals are cold and aloof needs to see both documentaries to see just how wrong they are.

I was able to watch Charles' tribute to his mother using the following link provided by ghost night554:

tvpc.com - BBC 1

This is BBC1 as it airs so the program is already over, but it may prove useful in the future.

Thanks ghost!!!:flowers:

I really enjoyed the program as well. Very fun to see all that footage and Charles' commentary was wonderful. The more I see/hear him the more my admiration grows. He was warm and I just loved every time he said "mama".

Can't believe I missed that link.
Thanks for providing it, Ghost; I wish I remembered about it. Any chance of repeats?

It is being repeated at 13:45 on Monday and then again at 00:40 on Tuesday morning :)
Thank you so much for the information, Andrew! :flowers:
13:45 is 16:45 here, I'll be just back from work, so hopefully, will not miss it. :)

The BBC website says that Prince Charles's tribute to the Queen will be repeated on Monday at 13:45 BST, which is 08:45 on the East coast US, 05:45 West coast US, and 14:45 CET. Probably not ideal for those across the pond, unless of course you're taking a day off for the occasion.

She will never, never abdicate: Queen will serve the country for the rest of her life
She has devoted her life, whether short or long, to the service of her people. And on the eve of her Diamond Jubilee celebrations, the Queen’s closest friends say she means to keep that promise, insisting she will ‘never, never, never’ abdicate. Confidantes told the Mail that the Queen is as determined as ever to serve her country for the rest of her life. Her fierce resolve should not be seen as a snub to her son and heir, Prince Charles, they stress, but as a sign of the over-riding sense of duty she has felt since taking her Coronation vows six decades ago.
That much is obvious even to me, without any "confidantes". Even before she became Queen, she made a pledge to serve her realms till the end: "I declare before you all that my whole life whether it be long or short shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong."

It WILL be the Elizabeth Tower: MPs support renaming the tower housing Big Ben after the Queen
The tower housing Big Ben will be renamed in honour of the Queen under plans supported by the majority of MPs. David Cameron, Nick Clegg and Ed Miliband are among senior figures from all parties who have backed the proposal to call it the Elizabeth Tower. A total of 331 MPs have now signed up to the campaign. It mirrors a tribute bestowed on Queen Victoria, the only other monarch in British history to have a Diamond Jubilee.
Great news! :clap:
This is a lasting honour - and one Her Majesty certainly deserves. :)

Back
Top Bottom