The Queen: Would She Consider Abdication or Retirement?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well since we are going to change the rules of The Monarchy why don't we just skip Prince Charles all together save even more money and just get to Prince William and Catherine right away. I mean youth loves youth and they have no patience to wait for him to become King.

This whole idea of Abdication is just wrong IMO. It's a top job for life. Pushing a Queen out who has done a remarkable job because Royalty is getting to expensive with all the different generations is just insulting to her imo.

Well since we are going to change the rules of The Monarchy why don't we just skip Prince Charles all together save even more money and just get to Prince William and Catherine right away. I mean youth loves youth and they have no patience to wait for him to become King.

This whole idea of Abdication is just wrong IMO. It's a top job for life. Pushing a Queen out who has done a remarkable job because Royalty is getting to expensive with all the different generations is just insulting to her imo.

How would skipping Charles and going straight to William save money? Nobody's pushing The Queen out for anything, least of all money.

IMO she's making it a lot easier. Most of the unpopularity Charles has is from the Diana years. The more time that passes, the more it gets out of the public's mind.

The longer Charles and Camilla are together the more she will be accepted and the more likely it is that she will be Queen. I think Charles really wants that.

I don't get why a 70-year-old king would be negative. HM is more popular than ever in her old age. I think he would be seen more as a grandfatherly figure.

I agree.
Our monarchs tend to enjoy their most popularity when they are very young and glamorous or when they are very old and grandfatherly/motherly. Its those middle aged years when they are stuck between an aged parent (The Queen Mum) and a young heir and his glamorous wife (Charles & Diana) that the monarch has trouble.

I opened this thread with lot of apprehensions, but I am quite pleased with near-unanimous support to the Queen's wishes that she remains on throne for life.
Cepe, your "under progress" thoughts are good enough but I not sure I can agree with many of them..Here are some of my views to your points..

and she is making it harder and harder for Charles to be accepted positively as King when the time comes. a 70/80 year old king at the start of his reign creates barriers to acceptance.

Firstly no ones acceptance/non-acceptance can be fully influenced by their predecessors. Every monarch goes through the same cycle..an intense euphoria with curiosity, end-of-the-honeymoon monotony, increased criticisms, then some general indifference and then gradual reverence as national symbol and finally tremendous respect and loyalty. The Queen thoroughly went through each of these phases, so does every monarch. In fact, the older Charles is when he becomes King, the more they get used to him being their King one day. And the more the respect and reverence for him.
Secondly, just go through the popularities of all royals in the past half century. They generally peak in late 20s and 20s, start dropping in mid-40s, and start growing up again in late 60s and 70s. Trues for both Queen and Charles..So there's gonna be no "popularity/acceptance" problems for Charles when he becomes King in late 70s..

And that costs a lot more money. And there will be pressure brought to bear on costs and the payment of taxes, particularly the sovereign to sovereign transfer which carries no tax liability.

I dont think there will be huge difference in the costs once The Queen abdicates, since the number of enents/engagements and the persons carrying them roughly remains the same. And come on, regarding costs, those who complain complain anyway, and those who dont, dont.

If she abdicated, she would be seen the support Charles transition to kingship

I dont think Charles needs Queen's "support" for the transition. And if we observe the British royalism carefully, the biggest support of a new monarch is always the sympathy of the people due to death of previous one, and the spirit of continuation..Abdication is not continuation, abdication is overlapping. People are so used to Queen that we simply cant accept Charles as King as long as she is there..
Moreover, abdication actually complicates transition. New debates will start..is it necessary to have a 65y.o King? Let him be bypassed and so on..

there would be a positive response to the Cambridges moving up

The Cambridges ARE MOVING UP..and The Queen is slowing down..This is happening at a very enormous dynamic..but simply discretely without any announcements or documentations.The media and public are also acknowledging this..And THERE IS positive response to this. And of course Cambridges wont wait for Queen's death to become full-time royals..

Cepe, while I disagree with your conclusion, I can see how you've come to it. While it might still be in development, it does seem like you've put a lot of careful thought into it.

HMQs duty is to the people and the monarchy itself and she is making it harder and harder for Charles to be accepted positively as King when the time comes. a 70/80 year old king at the start of his reign creates barriers to acceptance.

The basis for this idea seems to be a common one, but I think it's based on a misunderstanding of the idea of a monarchy. A king (or a queen) is king for life, be that a long or short life. That's one of the key components of the idea as it has existed for thousands of years. Abdication is something that typically has only been done when the monarch is forced to do so. While voluntary abdications are becoming more popular, and may continue to do so as the lifespan of monarchs continues to expand, they are not yet common across the board or even all that common within most monarchies.

Abdications are, by far, the exception to the rule, not the rule itself. Thus, if a monarch is expected to rule for his or her life, it isn't really a vote of non-confidence in the successor if he or she doesn't abdicate. HM isn't saying that she doesn't believe in Charles' ability to rule by not abdicating, she's saying that she believes it is her duty to continue to serve the country. It wasn't seen as a vote of non-confidence when KGVI was struggling with the cancer that would kill him and chose not to abdicate, nor was it a matter of confidence when KEVII insisted on trying to continue to work and refusing to go to bed in his last days, despite having severe bronchitis and having suffered several heart attacks.

There are, of course, cases where the monarch did not have faith in the successor and we can see that lack of faith in their behavior during their reign. William IV suffered from poor health during his reign, but was so adamantly against the then Duchess of Kent that he once swore at a dinner party that it was his intention to live just until the future Queen Victoria 18th birthday so a regency wouldn't be necessary. QV herself had no faith in her successor, and refused to let her Bertie help with the red boxes (while also blaming him for his father's death), and KGV was reported as having predicted that his eldest son would ruin himself within 12 months of his (KGV)'s death.

None of this is remotely similar to the situation with Charles. The Queen is not ill and refusing to relinquish her power. She is not being asked to abdicate by any huge group and refusing to do so. She is not (at least not publicly) speaking about how Charles does not have the makings of a good monarch in him. Instead what she's doing is showing that she does have confidence in him and the future of the monarchy under him, although she does so in ways far more stubble than abdications. Charles is consulted on the red books, he is appointed as HM's representative on overseas tours - notably at the Commonwealth meeting. Last year during the Jubilee celebration there were moments when she stood with just her eldest son and his family, clearly showing that she viewed them as the future of the monarchy. The idea that she isn't showing confidence in Charles by not abdicating only works if there is an expectation that she should abdicate. There isn't, there is no tradition of abdication within the British system so HM failing to do so (especially coupled with a very strong anti-abdication tradition) is not a vote against Charles' capabilities as a monarch.

Furthermore, as has already been pointed out, Charles is not exactly the most popular member of the BRF, nor is Camilla, although both do seem to have come great lengths from their all time low of the 90s. I agree with Vkrish in the idea that the more time and distance put between Charles the divorcee of the 90s and Charles the king of the future the better. It gives him more time to show the public that he is not the playboy he was once made out to be, and that his bride is not the Rottweiler or demon she's been made out to be.

I personally think the more we see Camilla and Charles interacting at events with HM, the DoE, the Cambridges, and Harry, the better and the easier it will be to have the two of them accepted when HM dies. Vkrish also pointed out that HM's popularity does not seem to be dwindling, despite her age. Personally I think that regardless of his age when he becomes King, Charles will shine and be accepted - this is a nation that accepted Edward VII and William IV despite their less than young ages. Sure he might not have the long reign or popularity of his mother, but I think he will be accepted and loved regardless of his age.

It would also clarify the position of the Cambridges and they should be full time royals, learning their craft.

I don't really get the confusion surrounding the current position of the Cambridges. Right now William is the grandson of the monarch, and is working full time in the military. He also has some part-time royal duties. Catherine should not be expected to perform more duties than her husband. William's role is actually more active than the last individual in his position. When George V was simply the Duke of York it was said that he did "nothing at all but kill animals and stick in stamps."

Yes, we'd all like to see the Cambridges do more - and I think it's very likely that we're going to see that happen sooner rather than later, without an abdication - but there is no requirement for the grandson of the monarch to perform full time royal duties, regardless of his position in the succession, and particularly while he is working full time. Similarly, there is no requirement that the wife of a royal engage in full time duties when her husband does not.

There is a lot of talk about the bredth of the royals, but there is also the depth with 3 generations . And that costs a lot more money. And there will be pressure brought to bear on costs and the payment of taxes, particularly the sovereign to sovereign transfer which carries no tax liability.

How would HM abdicating change the cost of the monarchy in any way? Currently the monarchy costs British taxpayers less than a pound per person a year. The monarchy is funded through the two Duchys and the Sovereign Grants. None of that will change with a new monarch.

Furthermore, the number of royals will not change with a new monarch. If HM abdicates then the only thing that really changes is the position of her, Prince Philip, Charles, Camilla, and the Cambridges. Charles will be responsible for paying for his siblings and their children, his parents, his mother's cousins, and his younger son, out of the Duchy of Lancaster. William will provide for himself, Catherine, and Baby Cambridge out of the Duchy of Cornwall.

Actually, if you think about it, HM abdicating would make the monarch financially responsible for more individuals and not less. As it stands now, HM pays for herself, her husband, her three younger children and their children, and her four cousins - a total of 15 people, not including spouses or great-grandchildren. If Charles were to move up without anyone dying, he'd be financially responsible for those 15 people, as well as himself, Camilla, and Harry, while Cornwall (which currently pays for 4 people) would be responsible for 2 people.

As for individuals paying taxes, both HM and Charles currently pay taxes on what they make from their respective Duchies - and at a high rate. Assuming that William will be paying taxes on Cornwall then it makes no difference who the monarch is or who the Duke of Cornwall is, the same taxes will be paid.

If she abdicated, she would be seen the support Charles transition to kingship, there would be a positive response to the Cambridges moving up and the reduction of the BRF would start, at a time when it is needed.

I'm still confused as to how the BRF would in any way be reduced by HM abdicating. This is not a royal family that is established by degrees of relationship to the current monarch - a member of the BRF is determined either by their relationship to any monarch, and maintains that relationship for life or their relationship to an existing member, and remains a member so long as they're still married and/or alive.

The current BRF is the Queen, her spouse, the four children of the current monarch, the six male-line grandchildren of the current monarch, the child of Prince William (by LP), the four male-line grandchildren of KGV, and the 6 wives of the above, for a total of 23 people.

If HM abdicates, then the BRF will be the current monarch (Charles), his spouse, his 2 children, his male-line grandchild, the three other children and 4 other male-line-grandchildren of of QEII, the five male-line grandchildren of KGV (including HM), the 5 wives of the above, and the DoE (by LP), for a total of 23 people.

There is no downsizing unless new LPs are issued to further limit princely titles, which I can't see happening at all during the lifetime of HM. If it does happen, I think it's more likely to happen during the reign of William, after the grandchildren of KGV (who have dedicated a chunk of their lives to the service of QEII) have passed and the non-reigning grandchildren of QEII have all embarked on private lives.

There is also the issue of Australia and other countries becoming republics after the Queen goes. My mother is a royalist until the Queen is no more. (She apparently becomes a republican thereafter as she absolutely hates Camilla and Charles. The Diana affair is still an issue with her and her friends.)

The RF may not care about that but if they do, it would be another reason for the Queen to stay put.

By the way, I think she would do just fine on the death of her husband. She has plenty of family members who will step in and out with her.

If she abdicated, she would be seen the support Charles transition to kingship

I dont think Charles needs Queen's "support" for the transition. And if we observe the British royalism carefully, the biggest support of a new monarch is always the sympathy of the people due to death of previous one, and the spirit of continuation..Abdication is not continuation, abdication is overlapping. People are so used to Queen that we simply cant accept Charles as King as long as she is there..
Moreover, abdication actually complicates transition. New debates will start..is it necessary to have a 65y.o King? Let him be bypassed and so on..

Great post. I agree with all of it, but this point in particular. Abdications turn monarchy into a popularity contest -- which is the antithesis of the whole system. Maybe it's so accepted in the Benelux countries that it isn't overtly a popularity contest...but the constant year-to-year speculation over Beatrix's abdication (whether she would or not) had to get tiring for everyone. I'm also not sure what the merits of having a 9-year-old heiress apparent are if you can help it (see below).

Also, think of it this way:
HM staying on the throne gives William and Catherine more time to be parents without the added duties being Prince/ss of Wales, and it gives Charles more time to be a grandparent. Also gives Charles more time to work on his pet projects (some of which I'm a fan of, others not so much :p) and gives him even more time to prepare for kingship.

Here's a hypothetical scenario: HM abdicates, Charles gets the throne. Now let's say William dies shortly thereafter (we can only hope not -- but tragedies happen in the BRF just like in any other family), we're looking at a heir(ess) apparent who may ascend the throne as a minor, largely unprepared for the job. I think having three generations in the direct line is extremely valuable and I don't see any need to make it two prematurely.

For the first time, I think the Queen abdicating would be a good thing. I have always preferred Charles, unlike his mum he seems to have a likeable personality.

There is no reason Charles and Camilla wouldn't make a good king and queen, and Liz would be able to advise Charles.

Liz and Philip could enjoy retirement at long last, and the core royal family could be reduced to Charles, Camilla, William, Kate, baby and Harry - considerably smaller than it is now. Anne could still help out but the others could be asked to give up their princely titles and become ordinary citizens. This would achieve the aims of making the monarchy smaller and cheaper.

Unless God forbid something health related like a severe stroke happened to her, I think she will remain Queen Elizabeth II until she draws her last breath. She said it all those years ago... when she was 16 and was interviewed while in Africa on a trip, that she will devote her whole life to the service of her people.

I see HM living for many more years myself. :)

Unless God forbid something health related like a severe stroke happened to her, I think she will remain Queen Elizabeth II until she draws her last breath. She said it all those years ago... when she was 16 and was interviewed while in Africa on a trip, that she will devote her whole life to the service of her people.

I see HM living for many more years myself. :)

That was her 21st birthday not 16th.

:frazzled:Forgive me... been up all night lol. Time for bed so that I don't have anymore such slip-ups lol...:doh:

For the first time, I think the Queen abdicating would be a good thing. I have always preferred Charles, unlike his mum he seems to have a likeable personality.

I honestly feel more comfortable with Elizabeth as Queen then Charles as King. IMHO Elizabeth has a very likeable personality, i'm not too fond of Charles, he seems to have a rather bland personality in my eyes. Unless her majesty dies then i don't see her abdicating anytime soon, don't even see how her abdicating will be a good thing, it's the same process, late Queen/King dies or abdicates and then the next person becomes the Queen/King. Sure Charles will finally be the king and all but that's about it, Elizabeth said that her duty was to be a Queen to her people and she's doing a amazing job at being a Queen.

The Queen will never abdicate, and why should she?
I love The Queen.

'Service to the nation' could also mean the best service she could do for her nation is to abdicate - and if that is the case (I don't think it is at the moment) then she would abdicate.

There is no reason Charles and Camilla wouldn't make a good king and queen, and Liz would be able to advise Charles.

Liz and Philip could enjoy retirement at long last, and the core royal family could be reduced to Charles, Camilla, William, Kate, baby and Harry - considerably smaller than it is now. Anne could still help out but the others could be asked to give up their princely titles and become ordinary citizens. This would achieve the aims of making the monarchy smaller and cheaper.

Why should they give up their titles - and why should Harry keep his when he would be in no different a position than Andrew?

Can you really see the few royals you have on your list - and one a new mum - doing all the duties currently carrried out by the members of the royal family (currently about 4000 a year done by 15 people). Reduce the adult members to 6 and they are all doing nearly 700 a year - a rate that no one is currently doing with Charles and Anne in the high 500s and Andrew and Edward in the high 400s at the moment.

Can you also tell me exactly when Charles, or any other member of the family, has said 'on the record' that the intention is to reduce the royal family to just the monarch and his/her spouse and adult children?

The only thing we do have is a throw away line made about 20 years ago by a member of the household that has been repeated ad infinitum to the point where it has become 'the truth'.

Last edited:
'Service to the nation' could also mean the best service she could do for her nation is to abdicate - and if that is the case (I don't think it is at the moment) then she would abdicate.

Great point, and I completely agree.

Excellent point.

I think the only way HM would abdicate would be either if her government requested it (presumably because the people requested it), or if it was deemed to be necessary for either the good of the country or the monarchy itself.

I agree. I have never thought that her declaration to serve for the rest of her life precluded abdication if that was the best thing she could do for her people.

There is no need for her to Abdicate... she has been one of the best if not THE best Monarch imho. She is still going strong and there is no reason whatsoever for her to step down.

God Bless HM ;)

The Queen is more popular than ever, and will never abdicate the throne.

Long Live Elizabeth the Great

Saw one comment referring to HM QEII as 'Liz.' Those closest to her call her 'Betty,' not 'Liz.'

They actually call her Lilibet - that is those that call her by her name at all.

The common man's abbreviation for her is Liz however.

They actually call her Lilibet - that is those that call her by her name at all.

The republican abbreviation for her is, according to urban dictionary, Betty Windsor.

Lilibet was her childhood nickname. She is now 87 years old. Betty is her name amongst family and friends.

Lilibet was her childhood nickname. She is now 87 years old. Betty is her name amongst family and friends.

Do you have a source for that?

Saw one comment referring to HM QEII as 'Liz.' Those closest to her call her 'Betty,' not 'Liz.'

I saw that post and noted all the other royals were referred to using their proper names.

I have never in all my life known QEII to be referred to as Betty by anyone including her family. She signs Christmas cards and correspondence to family and very close friends as Lilibet. This is indeed a name she has had since childhood and continues to this very day.

She is a much loved monarch, but "Great"? No. Not this Elizabeth. Not in my opinion, anyway. She was her father's daughter. Good, definitely, but not great. "Great" would require more independent and innovative thought and action than we have seen from this woman.

I for one have never heard the term Betty. I would like to know where that came from or is it just heresay? If you are going to make a comment about this then please, what is the source?

I for one have never heard the term Betty. I would like to know where that came from or is it just heresay? If you are going to make a comment about this then please, what is the source?

If you google it you can see it being used in various republican forums and news articles - Betty Windsor.

The republican abbreviation for her is, according to urban dictionary, Betty Windsor.

From that urban dictionary:
People who call Queen Elizabeth II "Betty Windsor" are either anti-monarchy, small-r republican, apathetic, or satirists.

I think we can safely say that this does not mean that familymembers and friends call her "Betty" :ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom