The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-20-2009, 09:40 PM
Aristocracy

The short answer is no, the Queen will never abdicate. I suspect that as she continues to get older she will hand over many of the public duties to Prince Charles and Prince William but she will never abdicate.

Lets not forget, the Queen was annointed at her coronation. In the christian faith, annointed means to be set aside for life...meaning the Queen was set aside to reign as Queen until the day she dies. The Queen is a strong christian and sees her role as being annointed by God.

The Queen will be monarch until she drops from the throne, dead.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:01 AM
Nobility

Good question. She is too old to keep her work, I think, but the monarchy is her life. If she abdicated, I don't think peolpe would suport anymore. Particulary, I think prince William should be king just after her death/abdication, passing his father.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Too old? She seems to be in fine health and in excellent mental condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Princess View Post
Good question. She is too old to keep her work, I think, but the monarchy is her life. If she abdicated, I don't think peolpe would suport anymore. Particulary, I think prince William should be king just after her death/abdication, passing his father.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:41 AM
Courtier

Quote:
This is not a choice - there is no election for Monarch in the UK. The throne is inherited, pure & simple, so providing he outlives his mother, Charles will be our next monarch....
Old 01-21-2009, 02:42 AM
Nobility

Honey, sorry to say, but someone who is 80, at least for me, it's completaly old.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:44 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillW View Post
This is not a choice - there is no election for Monarch in the UK. The throne is inherited, pure & simple, so providing he outlives his mother, Charles will be our next monarch....
Yes, I know, UK is still to tradicional. In Monaco, per exemple, Princess Charlotte gave her rights to the throne for her son, the then Prince Ranier (late Ranier III). I think Charles should to the same. But it's impossible, I know.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:04 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yes, I know, UK is still to tradicional. In Monaco, per exemple, Princess Charlotte gave her rights to the throne for her son, the then Prince Ranier (late Ranier III). I think Charles should to the same. But it's impossible, I know.

It is indeed impossible, as it's not his to give. Only Parliament can change succession, and Charles is not (anymore) a part of parliament at all.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Being elderly doesn't mean incompetence, though. My mother and my father-in-law are both in their late 70s, and they can run rings around me!

Quote:
Honey, sorry to say, but someone who is 80, at least for me, it's completaly old.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:58 AM
Majesty

Quote:

If she was incapable of doing the essential parts of the job the Parliament would take action and create a Regency (as happened during the reign of George III when he was deemed incapable of carrying our the duties of the King but he was still the king so his son became Prince Regent until his father's death).
Old 01-21-2009, 04:03 AM
Majesty

Quote:

Why do you think William, who has had no experience at royal duties should take away his father's birthright?

Charles has shown that he has what it takes to do royal duties fully as he has been doing them (and that includes standing in for his mother at many of the duties she has to do) for over 40 years.

He has served his country very well as Prince of Wales.

From everything Charles has done as Prince of Wales (except marry the wrong woman, for him, in 1981) what evidence do you have that he can't do the job? Or are you wishing to discriminate on the basis of a person's age?
Old 01-21-2009, 12:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Being elderly doesn't mean incompetence, though. My mother and my father-in-law are both in their late 70s, and they can run rings around me!
This has got to be a classic! The anti-ageist campaigners should be using your line, Mermaid.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
She said as much in her 21st-birthday broadcast, when she pledged her whole life to the service of her country and people.
I think that is right. In Britain, the role of a monarch is one you are born into, for life. Its not something you do till you get bored, or want to retire to the seaside. I do not believe abdication is something the Queen is likely to consider with any seriousness. Provisions may need to be put in place to have the Prince Regent act if the Queen is unable to perform her duties, but I cannot see her abdicate her responsibilities at all.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:45 PM
Courtier

I believe that the Queen is the last Royal (excepting only her husband) of her family to have the intestinal fortitude to take a vow and to live by it, heart and soul, unto death. Her vow to the nation on her 21st birthday resonates now as much as it did then.

The next generation is chock-a-block full of "the vow works until I don't feel like living up to it any more: then I'll blame someone else and meander off to please myself."

HM will be at her post until she's taken out feet-first, and I personally wish her a lifespan in excess of her mother's.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPretender View Post
I believe that the Queen is the last Royal (excepting only her husband) of her family to have the intestinal fortitude to take a vow and to live by it, heart and soul, unto death. Her vow to the nation on her 21st birthday resonates now as much as it did then.

The next generation is chock-a-block full of "the vow works until I don't feel like living up to it any more: then I'll blame someone else and meander off to please myself."

HM will be at her post until she's taken out feet-first, and I personally wish her a lifespan in excess of her mother's.
Nicely said NAP!
HM talks the talk and walks the walk! Long live THE QUEEN!
Old 01-21-2009, 04:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Glad you liked it, Muriel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
This has got to be a classic! The anti-ageist campaigners should be using your line, Mermaid.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Excellent post! I have the feeling that she is the last of her kind for the UK and the Commonwealth. The monarchy will remain, but it won't have the wide-spread respect that it has now. Even people who aren't keen on the concept of monarchy have great admiration for the Queen as a person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPretender View Post

Old 01-21-2009, 07:57 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reen View Post
I cannot see the Queen abdicating. I can see her turning over most of her duties to Prince Charles and really slowing down in the future. I think she's starting along that road now. I would think that the thought of abdication for the Queen is abhorrent and she would not seriously consider it.
She's got this thing about her perceived Duty and she will not be deterred. Nor should she. I like that she true to herself.
Quite Right ! ... especially after the whole King Edward VIII abdication crisis. The Queen's parents (King George VI & Queen Elizabeth) made sure to teach her about the importance of duty, sacrifice, and service.

As shown so aptly in this documentary-
Old 01-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Good point that when she dies people wouldn't support the monarchy anymore. I think we will see a lot of changes when Elizabeth II dies. But the throne is inherited. Charles will be King and Camilla will be Queen.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:02 PM
Gentry

How is it that this is still a continuing topic/question?
The Queen answered this over 60 years ago in a radio broadcast...
“I declare before you all that my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong.”

God save the Queen! Long may she reign.
(because after Her Majesty is gone things will never be the same for the monarchy!)
Old 01-22-2009, 02:58 PM
Courtier

Personally, I am know that you might think I am very wrong.

I think that if the palace wants the Queen to abdicate she would just have to. I no longer think that Elizabeth II runs the show down there. And if the powers that be want Charles or William on the throne before her death, an abdication will be coming.
It is no longer the same world that she was crowned in. No conspiracy theory implied. There are just so many PR men and secretaries running things these days that she will probably be convinced that it is the right thing to do.

Tags
abdication, elizabeth ii, queen elizabeth ii, regency, retirement