The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-27-2007, 02:09 PM
Aristocracy

Prince of Wales may surprise us all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
This was exactly how people felt in the later years of Queen Victoria's reign. She was the only Monarch that most people knew, and her death marked the passing of an era. Nonetheless, despite the long shadow she had cast and his "racy" private life, to the surprise of many Edward VII soon emerged as an accomplished and popular King.
It is my understanding that we can credit King Edward VII for delaying WWI as he was best able to keep tensions to a minimum between the Kaiser and other cousins. I am hoping Charles has other qualities that have been downplayed and that he may end up being a better leader than I expect. Not that I expect him to be horrible, just that he may have qualities that haven't been played up to his advantage.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:24 PM
Aristocracy

I Dont Think She Will Retirer Or Abducate I Bet U Nothing That They ( Her Staff ) Is Planning Her 60th Diamond Jubilee .

Old 10-22-2007, 07:45 PM
Heir Apparent

HM is awfully sharp and really has taken good care of herself for her age. Longevity is in the family. It would be interesting to see just how long she lives!
Old 10-22-2007, 08:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

She will never step down as long as breath is in her body. She regards her role as divine..literally called by God.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
She will never step down as long as breath is in her body. She regards her role as divine..literally called by God.
I would think one has to think/believe that when one has been born into that position.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Her Majesty will never abdicate. In this respect, Queens or Kings are akin to Pope, who retires to a better world.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:05 PM

Although Popes can of course abdicate. John Paul II apparantly considered it.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:55 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think HM would ever abdicate.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Never! its difficult to think otherwise Really.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:26 PM
Commoner

God Save The Queen
Old 12-10-2007, 01:31 AM
Commoner

No. I do not believe the Queen will abdicate.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Commoner

Popes are not monarchs.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCharles View Post
Popes are not monarchs.
They are, they're just elected monarchs.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:44 AM
Gentry

I don't see the Queen retiring. She takes her vows very seriously, and considers her job to be a lifetime one. She could live to be 100, it's in her genes after all.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:22 PM

I know the Queen made a promise that she would devote her whole life to serving her people. But allow me to put forth a hypothetical situation, and tell me what you think would happen in such a case.

Strictly Hypothetical Scenario
Her Majesty, upon reaching perhaps late 90s age, finds herself barely able to carry out once-simple/routine tasks. Let's say she becomes incapacitated somehow. Could Parliament require her legally to either abdicate or create a Regency? After all, if a monarch becomes either incapacitated and hence unable to perform the Crown duties, would it then become a legal issue, or would it still be her personal choice? What would the legal requirement be? Abdication or Regency?
Old 12-21-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
Strictly Hypothetical Scenario
Her Majesty, upon reaching perhaps late 90s age, finds herself barely able to carry out once-simple/routine tasks. Let's say she becomes incapacitated somehow. Could Parliament require her legally to either abdicate or create a Regency? After all, if a monarch becomes either incapacitated and hence unable to perform the Crown duties, would it then become a legal issue, or would it still be her personal choice? What would the legal requirement be? Abdication or Regency?
In the event of The Sovereign becoming either mentally or physically incapacitated whereby they cannot carry the functions of state (remember that it is state function eg giving the royal assent or declaring war etc. not social finction) for there to be a regency declared and for members of the Royal Family to govern in Her place. I'll find out more and get back to you soon.

God Save The Queen!

Old 12-21-2007, 08:40 PM

Link to heraldica article on the regency acts

http://www.heraldica.org/topics/royalty/ukregency.htm

God Save The Queen!

Old 12-21-2007, 10:09 PM

Thanks, RP. So basically, in the event of The Queen being incapacitated to carry out her State functions, the Duke of Edinburgh, or if not living, their eldest child would be empowered to act as a kind of Power of Attorney (to put it in commoner terms)?
Old 12-21-2007, 10:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Duke of Edinburgh would be Regent unless the Heir Apparent (or Heir Presumptive, but that isn't really relevant since we have an Heir Apparent) fulfills the criteria for regency. Since Prince Charles does so, he would be Regent.

The 1953 Regency Act was basically saying that if the Queen died while the Heir was still under age or otherwise incapacitated, the Duke of Edinburgh rather than Princess Margaret (who at the time was the next adult in line for the throne) would be Regent; that Act simply cut her out of the Regency, it didn't do anything to affect the conditions under which Prince Charles could become Regent for the Queen.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Interesting situation. Interesting theory as well. HM is sharp as a tack, as was her mother before her. I do so hope that she won't "lose it"! at some time.

Tags
abdication, elizabeth ii, queen elizabeth ii, regency, retirement