The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-31-2007, 10:19 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshmi
I don't think queen Elizabeth would ever abdicate. But Charles may become a king in very old age...
I think that the Queen will never abdicate also. Charles is still in for a long wait. The Queen mother lived until she was 101 right? I see a long wait for charles!!

Old 06-05-2007, 12:11 AM
Royal Highness

Abdicate? never! She is still full of energy and wit from what we saw in her recent visit to the USA. I'm in no rush to see prince Charles try on that crown, not even for size. He can wait a little longer, 20-25 more years.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:13 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

What happened to her father forbids even the thought of abdication! Her character and the way she has been carrying out her duties for over half a century shows this will NEVER be an option. UNTHINKABLE !
Of course you never know as it's not our decision when we have to leave this planet but keeping in mind her genes - and she inherited the physical strength of her mother - she might be around for many more years.
Will be interesting though to see what happens if the Duke has to go before her, if she can keep up with the demands and is still strong enough to carry on. Just thinking of it makes me shiver - her death is something I simply cannot imagine as she's been around all my life and I am sure many people feel this way.
So I am afraid Charles has to do what he has been doing all his life - keep on waiting and preparing
Old 06-05-2007, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade
Just thinking of it makes me shiver - her death is something I simply cannot imagine as she's been around all my life and I am sure many people feel this way.
This was exactly how people felt in the later years of Queen Victoria's reign. She was the only Monarch that most people knew, and her death marked the passing of an era. Nonetheless, despite the long shadow she had cast and his "racy" private life, to the surprise of many Edward VII soon emerged as an accomplished and popular King.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:25 AM
Aristocracy

I know that there has been a great deal of discussion regarding HM's strong constitution and the possibility of outliving her son and heir, the POW. Given that possibility, if Charles were to die in the next year or two and HM died shortly thereafter, IMO Prince William is unprepared to assume the throne. He is still very young and obviously has some wild oats left to sow. His popularity with the people is an asset but doesn't necessarily prepare him for the responsibilities of the throne. I for one hope that HM AND the POW live long lives if for nothing else than to allow William time to mature and prepare.

Mapper
Old 06-05-2007, 09:23 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hereditary Mapmaker
IMO Prince William is unprepared to assume the throne. His popularity with the people is an asset but doesn't necessarily prepare him for the responsibilities of the throne. Mapper
Unfortunately, this doesn't go without saying. Prince William must be unprepared at this stage of his life, no question. If everything goes after plan, he'll still have enough time to prepare and I hope he does. I am not as sure about his popularity anymore as I was a few months ago. The circumstances surrounding the split from Kate have certainly done some damage to his image. When he did the opening speech at Wembley a few weeks ago he could hardly make himself understood as the football fans kept on singing and shouting. I thought that was very rude and clearly a sign of no respect towards him.
I have already said in another thread that IMO Clarence House should be more thoughtful in terms of public relations of the princes. As an example, I had mentioned the interview with both being carried out by a DJ instead of a serious journalist. I can only repeat myself: If the princes want to be taken seriously (and Wembley showed that this is obviously not the case) they should begin to act seriously.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Royal Highness

i don't think you'll ever see HM abdicate or retire. she's so duty bound that she just wouldn't do that.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:43 PM

Everything I've ever read about the Queen suggests that she takes her coronation vows totally seriously, that she feels and believes with everything in her that her commitment to be sovereign was a life contract, can be broken only by death. I think she actually believes that as much as one believes in air.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:55 PM

Quote:
What happened to her father forbids even the thought of abdication! Her character and the way she has been carrying out her duties for over half a century shows this will NEVER be an option. UNTHINKABLE !
Of course you never know as it's not our decision when we have to leave this planet but keeping in mind her genes - and she inherited the physical strength of her mother - she might be around for many more years.
Will be interesting though to see what happens if the Duke has to go before her, if she can keep up with the demands and is still strong enough to carry on. Just thinking of it makes me shiver - her death is something I simply cannot imagine as she's been around all my life and I am sure many people feel this way.
So I am afraid Charles has to do what he has been doing all his life - keep on waiting and preparing
I agree.. But I think the Windsors should not waste too much time fearing "another David" because even if there was another Abdication, it could not be "another David". The Crown was forced, really it was forced on George VI. He was not expecting it, and it landed on him overnight.
With another say Prince Charles, if the Queen was incapacitated somehow, Charles would not be in the same shoes as his grandfather because, Charles is expecting to be King someday, he knows it will happen, and he has been groomed for it all his life. He will be prepared for it, unlike his poor grandfather. The same goes for William. They are being prepared for it, Charles probably is ready for it whenever it comes, and William is going to be ready when he is Charles's age, I'm sure, if not sooner.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:03 AM
Nobility

The queen will NEVER abdicate. Everything this extrodinary woman has shown us over her years of faithful duty through all situations tells us she will see it through to the end. To her its what God has chosen her for. Her duty to her country, her God and her people. She will be respected for it.

But if I try to see it from a never say never pov, the only one slight possibility to see her abdicate would be if she developed a serious illness that prevented her from carrying out her duties.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:14 AM
Courtier

No, no, no.

She will continue 'till the day she dies.

That's what she promised her people, the day she became queen.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindsorIII
the only one slight possibility to see her abdicate would be if she developed a serious illness that prevented her from carrying out her duties.
Even then I cannot see her as abdicating. Such as with George III when he became seriously ill (to the point of not being able to carry out any official duties), I would expect Charles to be apppointed regent, while Her Majesty would remain Queen until the day she dies.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:57 PM
Commoner

She is The Queen... I do not believe retirement or abdictation are in the protocol of such a title.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:21 AM
Commoner

Lightbulb

Quote:
Apologies to quote, however I wanted to have refrence to thought, nor am I accusing you of the following topic, I am only making a generalized statement. Yet, I agree, however that she will be around for many years to come. Also, I personally do not think Charles is "chomping at the bits" to become King, qualified and dignified as he is, if it means that the decline of The Queen gives him title, and because there is such a peaceful stability with Queen Elizabeth currently reigning. Even in and beyond her unforseen passing, she will still continue to reign, without fault, for many generations to come.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:17 AM
Commoner

It is well known that Queen Elizabeth loves Windsor Castle, and as she is scaling back her exhausting work-load, she may be spending more time there.
With the reorganization, two of her closest aides have relocated from London to Windsor, which may be her residence during her semi-retirement.
Duke of Edinburgh has been urging the move
Two of Her Majesty's closest advisors have been granted grace-and-favour homes in Windsor.
Personal assistant Angela Kelly, 54, who brings the royal cup of tea each morning, has relocated from her apartment in Marlborough House on the Mall to a home in Windsor Great Park.
Also,relocating to Windsor is Paul Whybrew, the Queen's 49-year-old page.
The commentators agree that the monarchy is now in transition and the immediate future will see the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall playing an increasing active role carrying out official duties.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:30 AM
Commoner

That's interesting, Prince Charles, trying the Royal Crown for size!!!
Now let's discuss the Royal Crown, the Royal Crown is a very holy object. It has been blessed by the Bishop before being placed on the royal head. What's more, the royal person has to be blessed with the holy ointment before the Royal Crown is even placed on their head.
To receive the Royal Crown, the person must be uncontaminated with sin; that is including marrying a woman who has a husband who is still living.
Prince Charles is unworthy of the Royal Crown.
When the Royal Crown is placed on the Royal head, it is blessed by God.
There is no way that God will bless someone like Prince Charles who does not even acknowledges his sins.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genia View Post
There is no way that God will bless someone ......
You speak for your god personally do you?
Old 08-27-2007, 08:20 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Now let's discuss the Royal Crown, the Royal Crown is a very holy object. It has been blessed by the Bishop before being placed on the royal head. What's more, the royal person has to be blessed with the holy ointment before the Royal Crown is even placed on their head.
To receive the Royal Crown, the person must be uncontaminated with sin; that is including marrying a woman who has a husband who is still living.
There is no way that God will bless someone like Prince Charles who does not even acknowledges his sins.

1. The Royal Crown isn't blessed by God but in the name of God by a human who is claiming to bless it in God's name. This Crown isn't holy but Royal. It was made by man for man and nothing else.

2. Charles has acknowledged his sins as recently as his wedding blessing service when he 'acknowledged his manifold sins and wickedness'. What acknowledgement he makes to God during his prayers is between God and Charles and we don't know and we don't have a right to know as that is an issue betwee God and the person concerned.

3. If a person 'must be uncontaminated with sin' then absolutely noone ever deserves it as no one has ever been uncontamintated by sin, with the exception of Christ, and that includes the present Queen. Her sins may be small in many ways but like all other people has committed them.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57 View Post
If a person 'must be uncontaminated with sin' then absolutely noone ever deserves it as no one has ever been uncontamintated by sin, with the exception of Christ, and that includes the present Queen. Her sins may be small in many ways but like all other people has committed them.
Too true, Chrissy. Too true. Once again, you blow me away with your eloquence of expression and thoughtfulness. With the exception of Jesus Christ, indeed, and a few others, but very few, like Ghandi, no one is "uncontaminated" by something, even if that something is only minor. Man made organized religion is always too harsh, in my opinion. No person can measure up to the biblical standards! "Thou shall not lie!" For heavens sake!
If I am going to hell for lying (in my whole life) then I assure you, I am going there in a hand-made basket.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
The requirement that a person be without sin in order to be crowned would have disqualified most of our monarchs in the past, some of whom turned out to be excellent kings and queens. I think the holiest king we've had, Henry VI, was an almost unmitigated disaster as a monarch, to be honest.

Quote:
Matter of interest, how do you see the scenario playing out? Charles sits there in Westminster Abbey, the Archbishop puts the crown on his head, and he disappears in a pillar of fire or something?

Tags
abdication, elizabeth ii, queen elizabeth ii, regency, retirement