The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-07-2015, 11:19 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I believe there is only room left in St George's Chapel for two persons. Guess who these will be... ? So you are right indeed.

I'm pretty sure I've read in numerous books (none of which I have to hand of course) that the King George VI Memorial Chapel was built with room for six coffins. There is room for The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh, and for Charles and Camilla. William and his successors will have to find a new place.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

That is what I have been told a number of times by guides in St George's as well. I also still have some papers from the time that the chapel was built that say it was built for six - George VI, Elizabeth the Queen Mother, Elizabeth II, Philip, Charles and initially wife but now, obviously Camilla.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
That is what I have been told a number of times by guides in St George's as well. I also still have some papers from the time that the chapel was built that say it was built for six - George VI, Elizabeth the Queen Mother, Elizabeth II, Philip, Charles and initially wife but now, obviously Camilla.
But at the time of the death of Princess Margaret it was reported that she was cremated so that she could be buried in the George VI. Memorial Chapel because otherwise there would be not enough space.

Quote:
I believe there is only room left in St George's Chapel for two persons. Guess who these will be... ? So you are right indeed.
There is still the Royal Vault. Or they could find a special place in the Chapel like it was done for King George V. and Queen Mary or for King Edward VII. and Queen Alexandra.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
But at the time of the death of Princess Margaret it was reported that she was cremated so that she could be buried in the George VI. Memorial Chapel because otherwise there would be not enough space.
Correct - because it was never intended that Margaret would be buried in there - there was only room for six coffins and they had planned for them to be George VI, Elizabeth II, Charles and their respective consorts. Even in 2002 it was regarded as possible that Charles might marry again - whether it was Camilla or someone else wasn't known but they had to cater for that possibility and so Margaret had to either be cremated or buried somewhere else. She wished to be cremated to be buried with her parents as there was no room in there for her, if she wanted a coffin but she could be put in an urn.

Quote:
There is still the Royal Vault. Or they could find a special place in the Chapel like it was done for King George V. and Queen Mary or for King Edward VII. and Queen Alexandra.
I have been told that the reason why they built the George VI chapel was that the body of St George's is now full and that there will not be any more burials in the body of the church at all.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:53 AM
Majesty

Quote:
[...]
Is the Royal Vault in Windsor alike the Orange-Nassau vault in Delft? A stairway leading to a cellar under the church/chapel where dozens of coffins are placed ?

The last one has "space problems" too but at the moment they are re-arranging the placement of the coffins in Orange-Nassau vaults so that there will be enough place for future generations. I assume the same can be done with the Royal Vaults in Windsor. A grave is a grave. It can only house one coffin (maybe two) but of course vaults leave more options by clever spatial planning.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Is the Royal Vault in Windsor alike the Orange-Nassau vault in Delft? A stairway leading to a cellar under the church/chapel where dozens of coffins are placed ?
I think so. And there are even 2 Vaults one in the Quire where among otheres King Henry VIII. and one of his many wives are buried and a newer one the Royal Vault which was started to use from King Eroge III. onwards.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:07 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm sure there are stairs somewhere so that the vault can be accessed, but they aren't as visible or dramatic as that.

There's an access of some type right in the middle of the quire. George VI's body was kept there temporarily while the memorial chapel was being prepared, and for his funeral, the catafalque was put on top of a lift that went down to the vault. You can see pictures from before and after that here.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:06 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I think so. And there are even 2 Vaults one in the Quire where among otheres King Henry VIII. and one of his many wives are buried and a newer one the Royal Vault which was started to use from King Eroge III. onwards.
There are more than two: Edward IV has one under his chapel as does Henry VI, built by Richard III, and IIRC there may be at least one more. There's a fascinating book that I got through inter-library loan a couple of years ago called "The Royal Tombs of Great Britain: an Illustrated History" by Aidan Dodson (Duckworth, 2004. ISBN# 0715633104) I would love to be able to afford a copy...
Old 04-29-2015, 12:27 PM
Aristocracy

Prince Charles has a little more to do these days, but The Queen is still real sound of mind and able to handle her part. She is just letting Prince Charles have a little more responsibility now a days.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:34 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbahlina View Post
Prince Charles has a little more to do these days, but The Queen is still real sound of mind and able to handle her part. She is just letting Prince Charles have a little more responsibility now a days.
"Little more"? I think the Prince of Wales is an extremely busy man and holds a lots of reins in his hand. I think he is already functioning as shadow master behind the visibly ageing Queen and more and more frail Duke.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:19 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
"Little more"? I think the Prince of Wales is an extremely busy man and holds a lots of reins in his hand. I think he is already functioning as shadow master behind the visibly ageing Queen and more and more frail Duke.
The "frail" Duke? The Australian knight? He still has honorable positions he's working and a member of quite a few royal houses. So while Prince Charles and The Queen have a little more to do, they all have a ton to keep up with. No, he's not frail, he's a knight.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
No, he's not frail, he's a knight.
Although I agree the Duke of Edinburgh looks really good for a man who is almost 94, being a knight is just a honorary position, you know? His Royal Highness is not expected to walk around wearing an armour.

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:40 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris M View Post
Although I agree the Duke of Edinburgh looks really good for a man who is almost 94, being a knight is just a honorary position, you know? His Royal Highness is not expected to walk around wearing an armour.
I agree. One thing I know though is that both the Queen and the DoE have schedules that would completely tire me out and Philip has over 30 years on me. I do think its their level of involvement and their stamina to keep up with the day to day things they need to do that keeps them looking not only younger but keeping them in good physical health.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 04-29-2015, 01:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I agree. One thing I know though is that both the Queen and the DoE have schedules that would completely tire me out and Philip has over 30 years on me. I do think its their level of involvement and their stamina to keep up with the day to day things they need to do that keeps them looking not only younger but keeping them in good physical health.
I totally agree with you.

The Duke's schedule would tire me, and he's almost 60 years than me!

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:24 PM
Majesty

Let us keep things in perspective. It is not that they have to work from 8.00 to 17.00 o'clock in a factory.

The Queen and/or the Duke are transported in the most luxury limousines to the engagement they are attending. They are welcomed by dignitaries and then are given the Very Royal & Important Person-treatment, all and everyone making absolutely sure that Her Majesty and/or His Royal Highness are doing and feeling well. Their stamina is beyond belief but let us keep anything relative, it is incomparable with a "common" ninety-year old, of course.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:35 PM
Majesty

I do agree that wherever they go, they are given the top notch consideration and care and the best of what can be offered but if I remember right, both the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh also keep to a pretty set in stone daily routine. For example, its a well known fact that the Queen has her morning start with pipers outside of her bedroom window and her breakfast tray, along with her newspapers, is always served at a precise time in the morning. I don't think either one of them could be considered "coddled" and should they develp a hangnail, use that for an excuse to lie abed and watch reruns on TV. They're both people that choose to remain as active as they can be and the thought of having a purely lazy day would never occur to them.

There is definitely nothing "common" about this pair for sure but it is how they choose to handle everyday life that comes at them is what keeps them hale and healthy and hopefully for many more years.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 04-29-2015, 03:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I think he is already functioning as shadow master behind the visibly ageing Queen and more and more frail Duke.
No, he is not.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Nevertheless, Charles is not a regent yet. The Queen still signs orders in council, accepts diplomatic credentials and performs all her state-related functions on her own, even at her advanced age.

I may be wrong, but I suspect HM has misgivings about the monarchy under Charles and would rather see William succeed her instead. In fact, she has been raising William's profile lately in terms of official and diplomatic engagements. The Queen, however, cannot unilaterally change the law and the law says Charles is the heir apparent.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:10 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I may be wrong, but I suspect HM has misgivings about the monarchy under Charles and would rather see William succeed her instead.
Yes, I think you're wrong.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:39 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I may be wrong, but I suspect HM has misgivings about the monarchy under Charles and would rather see William succeed her instead.
I think the exact opposite. I think HM has the utmost faith that when the time comes, Charles is very much ready to step into his role as monarch. I think she also is taking quite a bit of pride being able to be there and teach her grandson what he'll need to know as he eventually steps into his father's shoes as the heir apparent. She's been doing that with William since he was young.

I think when the time comes, HM will be able to leave this world smiling with the knowledge that the monarchy is going to stand firm and strong as she's checked all the bricks inside out and backwards for any kind of cracks and fortified with mortar all places that needed work done.

How amazing would it be if as George gets older, he'll also benefit from learning at Great Granny's knee?

― John Lennon

Tags
abdication, elizabeth ii, queen elizabeth ii, regency, retirement