The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-28-2015, 06:35 AM
Courtier

She will draw her last breath with the crown in her head. As it should be.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:05 PM
Royal Highness

She could aim for being the longest reigning monarch ever. She only needs 20 years.

Living to 109 is quite possible.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
She could aim for being the longest reigning monarch ever. She only needs 20 years.

Living to 109 is quite possible.

She can't be the longest reigning monarch ever while Bhumibol Adulyadeh, King of Thailand, is alive, as he's been reigning for, I believe, 6 years longer than she has.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:49 PM
Gentry

The Queen: Would She Consider Abdication or Retirement?

The longest reigning monarch in world history was an Egyptian Pharaoh (cannot recall his name) who ruled for 100 years and died aged 105. So, it's basically impossible. We must also remember that Her Majesty has more stress and pressure than her late mother.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:02 PM
Royal Highness

The Queen could become the longest reigning monarch with verifiable dates of reign.

King Bhumibol Adulyadeh of Thailand had some recent health problems and although younger than the Queen, most women live longer than men.

IMO, it would be great to have QEII as the monarch with the longest verifiable reign.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
The Queen could become the longest reigning monarch with verifiable dates of reign.

King Bhumibol Adulyadeh of Thailand had some recent health problems and although younger than the Queen, most women live longer than men.

IMO, it would be great to have QEII as the monarch with the longest verifiable reign.

Only if she wasn't in pain and mentally ok.
I cant see the point of having the longest reign otherwise. IMO
What does that count for really.
Charles mightn't even get to be king and I'm sure that's not what you would want

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 02-28-2015, 04:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeJonathan81 View Post
The longest reigning monarch in world history was an Egyptian Pharaoh (cannot recall his name) who ruled for 100 years and died aged 105. So, it's basically impossible. We must also remember that Her Majesty has more stress and pressure than her late mother.

The longest reigning monarch in world history of verifiable dates is Sobhuza II of Swaziland who ruled for just shy of 83 years.

There are monarchs who reigned longer, but the exact dates are unknown. The longest undisputed reigning monarch in world history with unclear start/end dates is Raja Sawai Basavalinga I of Sundem, who reigned for approximately 79 years - we know what year his reign started and when it ended, but not the exact date it started or ended.

There are three monarchs whose reigns may have been longer, but these dates are disputed. The longest such reign is Pepi II Neferake of Ancient Egypt who is claimed to have ruled for 94 years (some say more than 100, but that's typically believed to be a myth), but the dates are unclear and many historians seem to be of the opinion that his reign was actually a much shorter 64 years.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

King Bhumibol is 87. He is very ill, he suffers from parkinson's disease, heart problems, he has had several strokes and is in a wheelchair. He has been in the hospital almost constantly since 2009.

The Queen is almost 90, but she is very vigorous. Yes, she has lived a more stressful life than her mother, but people close to her says she is in better shape than the Queen Mother was at the same age.

I know that Harry has said that it would have been difficult for her to do what she does without Philip, but the people who has worked for her said during the diamond jubilee that they doubt that she will go into mourning if he dies before her. They thought like me that she will just carry on with her duty.

If she manages to stay on her feet and not fall / stumble and injure herself then I doubt that she's going to need a regent.

The Queen Mother performed official duties until she was 101 years old, and the main reason to why she was frail were all the falls she had.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

All this talk makes me think of all the plans that must have been made and ready to put into action if or when they will be needed. I remember reading that the Queen mothers funeral was planned with her input. I'm sure there's plans for the Queen, Phillip, Charles and Camilla
Anyway I'm off topic

Old 02-28-2015, 05:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Queen and Philip's funerals have been planned for years - as has Charles'. They are part of the duties of the Earl Marshal (The Duke of Norfolk - this is an hereditary position) and he regularly goes through those plans with them, just as he did with the Queen Mother. It is also his responsibility to plan Charles' coronation.

These days the plans would be on computer and so are ready to go when the occasion arises.

He also has the broad plans for royal weddings - such as William's - with things like the timings and broad setting plans with precedence lists etc.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The Queen and Philip's funerals have been planned for years - as has Charles'. They are part of the duties of the Earl Marshal (The Duke of Norfolk - this is an hereditary position) and he regularly goes through those plans with them, just as he did with the Queen Mother. It is also his responsibility to plan Charles' coronation.

These days the plans would be on computer and so are ready to go when the occasion arises.

He also has the broad plans for royal weddings - such as William's - with things like the timings and broad setting plans with precedence lists etc.
I've heard that the media has all of their obits ready to go as well.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:14 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

The media definitely have obits for any major player in their country ready to be published at a moment's notice. That way the minute a death is confirmed, the news can be immediately followed by an obit. Standard practice.

I even have a few obits stored on my computer for a couple of the older monarchs so they can be published on the blog as soon as required.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
I've heard that the media has all of their obits ready to go as well.
All of the plans for the senior royals are code-worded (I think QEQM's was Forth Bridge)

The TV companies know all the codes so that when the news editor gets the call, they pull the programming and start the transmitting the sad news. It also ensures that hoax calls get ignored.

They also practice as well as having obit programmes ready to transmit.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-28-2015, 09:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
All of the plans for the senior royals are code-worded (I think QEQM's was Forth Bridge)

The TV companies know all the codes so that when the news editor gets the call, they pull the programming and start the transmitting the sad news. It also ensures that hoax calls get ignored.

They also practice as well as having obit programmes ready to transmit.
Ahh, that makes sense - I'll bet they have hoax calls all the time

I wonder if they had a code for Diana - yes, yes, I know I'm going off topic here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessRulz View Post

The media definitely have obits for any major player in their country ready to be published at a moment's notice. That way the minute a death is confirmed, the news can be immediately followed by an obit. Standard practice.

I even have a few obits stored on my computer for a couple of the older monarchs so they can be published on the blog as soon as required.
Interesting!
Old 02-28-2015, 10:12 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Prince Philip's is Forth Bridge, the Queen Mother's was Tay Bridge. The Queen's is London Bridge.
In pictures: royal family trivia - Telegraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
I wonder if they had a code for Diana - yes, yes, I know I'm going off topic here.
I don't know if she had a code, but it has been reported that Diana's funeral was arranged using the plans for the Queen Mother's funeral as there weren't any made specifically for Diana (and no one had any idea as to what type of funeral should be held).
Old 02-28-2015, 10:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

If the codes are known and one reason for having them is to stop hoax calls I hope that they change them regularly.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
If the codes are known and one reason for having them is to stop hoax calls I hope that they change them regularly.
Surely they must, but then again it would not be the first time people have proven inept at their jobs.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

I remember when one of our tv stations announced the Queen mother was dead when she was still alive can't remember the details

Old 03-01-2015, 02:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Queen: Would She Consider Abdication or Retirement?

This is it
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/re...d-1504013.html

Sorry off topic
Old 03-01-2015, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
King Bhumibol is 87. He is very ill, he suffers from parkinson's disease, heart problems, he has had several strokes and is in a wheelchair. He has been in the hospital almost constantly since 2009.

The Queen is almost 90, but she is very vigorous. Yes, she has lived a more stressful life than her mother, but people close to her says she is in better shape than the Queen Mother was at the same age.

I know that Harry has said that it would have been difficult for her to do what she does without Philip, but the people who has worked for her said during diamond jubilee that they doubt that she will go into mourning if he dies before her. They thought like me that she will just carry on with her duty.

If she manages to stay on her feet and not fall / stumble and injure herself then I doubt that she's going to need a regent.

The Queen Mother performed official duties until she was 101 years old, and the main reason to that she was frail were all she falls she had.
I tend to agree with everything here. For several years now, I have been comparing the Queen's general health with the Queen Mother's at the same age and she does seem to be in better physical health at almost 90.

The Queen is also very level headed and not prone to huge emotional gestures, so if Philip did die before she did, I think the last thing she would do is to withdraw from her duties in mourning. In some ways, it might spur her on to continue in exactly the same way.

One of the dangers in becoming old and frail is becoming unsteady and having falls, that can result in injuries that would take longer to heal or lead on to other ailments - so you're right, she must be careful!

Tags
abdication, elizabeth ii, queen elizabeth ii, regency, retirement